Ogden Point

falcon1

Hows the fishing out there right now? And are there any other places to fish from shore around Victoria that will be productive right now?

You may be able to hook the odd rockfish, but they are closed right now i believe.
Winter springs are usually fished deep and you won't likely be able to catch them from shore.

You just never know what you will catch when you go fishing. If I fish the waterfront I'll do a couple passes for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've caught them off the oak bay golf course in December

I went fishing at the breakwater today. Fished the inside and outside. Caught nothing on the outside but caught a nice kelp greenling on the inside. Squid for bait. Lots of bites on the inside as well. Next time I plan to spend more time on the inside as that seems to be where the fish are.

Yes I used to fish there all the time in the 80's as kids on the inside. We would go to Fisherman's Wharf and get the pile worms from under the dock the bike to the automotive shop to get some bolts for weights then down to the breakwater. Mostly small cod on the inside with the odd ling. Trick was to put the weight on the bottom and three feet up on a swivel and small 12" leader down to the hook and the bait. Very snaggy in there so this would assist with that.

Oh yes, that brings back some great childhood memory. Used to do that as well but spend more times on those Bc packer docks. It's now just dock for the cruise ships :(

I heard that you can get them at the OB golf course but never tried myself.

Yes I used to fish there all the time in the 80's as kids on the inside. We would go to Fisherman's Wharf and get the pile worms from under the dock the bike to the automotive shop to get some bolts for weights then down to the breakwater. Mostly small cod on the inside with the odd ling. Trick was to put the weight on the bottom and three feet up on a swivel and small 12" leader down to the hook and the bait. Very snaggy in there so this would assist with that.

The future of ogden point breakwater.......
ogden-breakwater.jpg

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/handrails-to-be-installed-on-ogden-point-breakwater-1.26650

Safety is first priority right?? :rolleyes: LAME!

Apparently all the big ling cod are off the end. Way less snaggy inside IMO

As for the Lings, I saw monster pulled out of there in September. I'll bet is was 30 pounds. On the outside of the wall.

Lings are not legal to harvest right now and the salmon are out deep right now

The future of ogden point breakwater.......
ogden-breakwater.jpg

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/handrails-to-be-installed-on-ogden-point-breakwater-1.26650

Safety is first priority right?? :rolleyes: LAME!

Interesting. Just down there the other day and was wondering when that was going to happen.

To many tourists jam packed on there walking 4 across with there big asses in the summer now. As long as they put some breaks in and some steps here and there esp near the good spots ;)

B55 Any particular time? high/low..slack? I tried there a bunch of times peak summer/fall, no luck other then rock fish. I went right before dusk usually, I heard was good, but mabey not.

I don't know what B55 is but right now there will be nothing but bottom fish, except for the odd sea perch. I went in the middle of the day and the fishing was good. There were other fishermen there as well.

Hey Falcon,

If catching the kelp greenling, perch, seabass etc that are open year round keep the fish and chips going and get you out on the warterfront enjoying our climate, then, enjoy it. It's not all about the salmon. Here is a dive site that shows a load of beach access sites that might provide some beach fishing opportunities for you. There are beach accesses in here that I never knew about, even though I lived here most of my life.
http://victoriadiving.awardspace.com/intro.html

Cool site Nauti. There were a few in there I didn't know about as well and I've poked around quite a bit.

Hey Falcon,

If catching the kelp greenling, perch, seabass etc that are open year round keep the fish and chips going and get you out on the warterfront enjoying our climate, then, enjoy it. It's not all about the salmon. Here is a dive site that shows a load of beach access sites that might provide some beach fishing opportunities for you. There are beach accesses in here that I never knew about, even though I lived here most of my life.
http://victoriadiving.awardspace.com/intro.html
I totally agree. I have been going out there as much as possible for the greenling and other bottom fish. Last time I went I hooked what must have been either a 20+ pound halibut that wandered inside the breakwater, or a ling cod around 30lbs. The line just started going out and out and out. I couldn't stop it. Then the line snapped. I should have had my tension just a little bit lighter. It was more heart pounding than any salmon I have ever fought. I had on 20lb test which the fish broke like nothing. Later I caught another decent sized fish that went right into the rocks and got snagged.

Back