OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot at sandheads... 8 to the boat, 3 keepers all at 30' on anchovies... 1 at 10 am the rest between 3-5pm... Fisheries showed up around 5... Glow yellow teaser...

Had the tub out today to join the FLOTILLA at the North Arm in the morning (20+ boats). The winds came up, and everyone headed for the bell. Not one ringer for us, and we only saw a Doggy hooked among everyone. The winds died down and everyone scattered. We didn't get or SEE anyone get anything. Complete skunkaroo for us, which never happens.

Any Reports of it being 'hot' at Sandheads when there are ONE HUNDRED boats is purrrrrre horse hockey. When there are that many boats, and SO FEW fish being caught? Its not hot fishing.

Think I'm going to retire the tub for the season and head up in to the hills for an early buck.

OLAY!

Not sure what you are basing that on. Ive never seen as many jacks as I'm catching this year. Sometimes up to 20 in a day. This year seems to be late, and slow, but no reason to think that applies to any other year. Especially given that we just came off a bumper year last year

Not to do with the fraser river but at barkley wed-thursday caught and released over 70 jacks in 2 days couldnt keep them off the line

Had the tub out today to join the FLOTILLA at the North Arm in the morning (20+ boats). The winds came up, and everyone headed for the bell. Not one ringer for us, and we only saw a Doggy hooked among everyone. The winds died down and everyone scattered. We didn't get or SEE anyone get anything. Complete skunkaroo for us, which never happens.

Any Reports of it being 'hot' at Sandheads when there are ONE HUNDRED boats is purrrrrre horse hockey. When there are that many boats, and SO FEW fish being caught? Its not hot fishing.

Think I'm going to retire the tub for the season and head up in to the hills for an early buck.

OLAY!
Apologies EK. We only counted 70. Got a bit exuberant on the guesstimate. Did get three nice Springs in a couple hrs with one sealed. So it was hot for us.

Fished 9am-1pm at North Arm - no action. Hit Sandheads and good action from about 2:30 to 5pm. 2 huge wild coho and 3 undersize springs released. Kept one nice 12lb spring. All fish on chovys at 35-45ft.

Was also at Sandheads was a really good bite on for everyone i seen lots of jaxks though for us 2 keepers and around 6 i saw a flasher pop up behind the boat which was a little odd then it kept bobbing up and down turned the boat around and some how managed to grab the flasher and on the end was a 14lb red lol so anyone loose a flasher and teaser head ?

Did anyone see the guy in the water at sandheads? I only saw the tail end of it when he got back in the boat, I think it was a hardtop king fisher... Hope he's okay..

van.jpg

van1.jpg

Fished In front of Roberts Creek with my family before the kids had to hit the hay. Had two in the boat in less than an hour. Purple flasher, homeland security spoon. 50' in 100' of water. The Mrs. was perfect on the net.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just passed sandheads en route to Barkley. Looks busy. Any luck out there this morning?

Was also at Sandheads was a really good bite on for everyone i seen lots of jaxks though for us 2 keepers and around 6 i saw a flasher pop up behind the boat which was a little odd then it kept bobbing up and down turned the boat around and some how managed to grab the flasher and on the end was a 14lb red lol so anyone loose a flasher and teaser head ?
Lol ya my friend did to a seal was my flasher too lol if it's a neon green one then it was ours

Ended up with 4 coho, 4 , 8, 10 , 12. All hatch, three took the herring right on the surface at the bell! Anyone else see that 40 foot plus centre console with the four massive outboards fishing what looked like tuna gear? Pretty sure it was a hydra sports siesta 42', crazy nice boat.
What size herring you use bud!!

OLAY!

Same for me, I was right in the middle of that pack for 4 hours and never saw a single fish caught lol, then I heard Sandheads was on fire the exact time I was there. There must be another Sandheads in a parallel universe.

Same for me, I was right in the middle of that pack for 4 hours and never saw a single fish caught lol, then I heard Sandheads was on fire the exact time I was there. There must be another Sandheads in a parallel universe.

Funny how that works sometimes :)

It was a crazy bite at the green bell for about 45 minutes seen lots of Jacks caught and a few keepers had to yell at two boats to let them know they had hooked up lol seen a couole double headers and one was a father and son and they landed both cool to watch that.

The inturdnets are full of hyper-bowled hot spots from bull spitters and well wishers! Not enough Kaptains are taking their grains of salt when reading these things and kangaroo'ing over to the same spot to try their lucky.

Let me tell ya'll something here bobba looeys, when you have 50+ boats and <5 are actually hooking fish? It's not hot fishing. Maybe one tub has the magic anchovies or the secret flasher, but blind squirrels can find nuts too. When MOST boats are hooking up, landing fish and you're seeing high fives on all decks? Fishin' is hot! And dooooooooon't you forget it!

OLAY!!!

It was a crazy bite at the green bell for about 45 minutes seen lots of Jacks caught and a few keepers had to yell at two boats to let them know they had hooked up lol seen a couole double headers and one was a father and son and they landed both cool to watch that.

I don't think anyone is questioning the accuracy of the reports from the guys catching fish off the Fraser right now. But to categorize it as on fire would be a bit of a stretch I'd think. Read last year's late Aug, early Sept archived reports. Many reports from many different fishers about good fishing last year. To me this would seem to indicate that a select number of guys have it dialed in and are doing consistently well. I've been fishing on the west coast for the last week and I Haven't wet a line yet since I've been back. My fishing in Barkley Sound I would categorize as very good fishing. I don't expect to see anywhere near the same results when I head out here. Compare last year's reports to this year's reports locally and the difference will be obvious. A few guys have been doing well from reading the local reports. That's fantastic because you deserve to be rewarded if you are on the water constantly and have the feeding patterns totally figured out. I just don't see the average guy reporting great catches this year. Obviously there are fish there, catching them seems to be the issue for most guys as there are not a ton of great reports coming in. Talking to a creel census taker would give a far better indication of what the actual success rate on the water is right now. Has anyone spoken to a senses taker at the dock? I haven't even run into the census guy at Vanier this year. He used to be there all the time. Just another sign of the reduced funding for fisheries management on the west coast I guess. If anyone speaks to a census taker please report on the success rate he is seeing. That is the only real method of seperating fishing hyperbole from reality. Hopefully the catch rate for the average guy is going to start paying off. To the guys who have it nailed right now, good for you guys. I'm very happy for you, you should be proud you're doing well in a far from stellar year locally.

I don't think anyone is questioning the accuracy of the reports from the guys catching fish off the Fraser right now. But to categorize it as on fire would be a bit of a stretch I'd think. Read last year's late Aug, early Sept archived reports. Many reports from many different fishers about good fishing last year. To me this would seem to indicate that a select number of guys have it dialed in and are doing consistently well. I've been fishing on the west coast for the last week and I Haven't wet a line yet since I've been back. My fishing in Barkley Sound I would categorize as very good fishing. I don't expect to see anywhere near the same results when I head out here. Compare last year's reports to this year's reports locally and the difference will be obvious. A few guys have been doing well from reading the local reports. That's fantastic because you deserve to be rewarded if you are on the water constantly and have the feeding patterns totally figured out. I just don't see the average guy reporting great catches this year. Obviously there are fish there, catching them seems to be the issue for most guys as there are not a ton of great reports coming in. Talking to a creel census taker would give a far better indication of what the actual success rate on the water is right now. Has anyone spoken to a senses taker at the dock? I haven't even run into the census guy at Vanier this year. He used to be there all the time. Just another sign of the reduced funding for fisheries management on the west coast I guess. If anyone speaks to a census taker please report on the success rate he is seeing. That is the only real method of seperating fishing hyperbole from reality. Hopefully the catch rate for the average guy is going to start paying off. To the guys who have it nailed right now, good for you guys. I'm very happy for you, you should be proud you're doing well in a far from stellar year locally.

Good summary BG. As I said earlier I was a bit too exuberant when I posted. We are dialed in at present as I've been fortunate to be out a lot lately. At the moment I posted 4 boats around us including a Bonchovy boat all had fish on. We probably didn't get seen by the pack as we were quite far west. We got into 3 bigger Srings in short order and for us the bite was on.

The inturdnets are full of hyper-bowled hot spots from bull spitters and well wishers! Not enough Kaptains are taking their grains of salt when reading these things and kangaroo'ing over to the same spot to try their lucky.

Let me tell ya'll something here bobba looeys, when you have 50+ boats and <5 are actually hooking fish? It's not hot fishing. Maybe one tub has the magic anchovies or the secret flasher, but blind squirrels can find nuts too. When MOST boats are hooking up, landing fish and you're seeing high fives on all decks? Fishin' is hot! And dooooooooon't you forget it!

OLAY!!![/QUO
when i see more then 10 boats at a time hooked up or have doubles in a small area it was hot!!! Guess we have different opinons Kaptain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back