OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out all day yesterday and both at North / South arms , regardless of whales there were no fish taken. I'd say its over for this year from what I have seen so far, I think the springs have gone the way of the sockeye and won't be making a comeback for a long time if at all.
Well at least there's hope.....

The whites haven't really shown up yet. Lots more to come. Was out for 3 hours this morning. One jack that was about 1cm short was it for us. Does seem to have slowed but I'm pretty sure it will pick up again.

I was out all day yesterday and both at North / South arms , regardless of whales there were no fish taken. I'd say its over for this year from what I have seen so far, I think the springs have gone the way of the sockeye and won't be making a comeback for a long time if at all.

Not sure what you are basing that on. Ive never seen as many jacks as I'm catching this year. Sometimes up to 20 in a day. This year seems to be late, and slow, but no reason to think that applies to any other year. Especially given that we just came off a bumper year last year

Last edited:
Not sure what you are basing that on. Ive never seen as many jacks as I'm catching this year. Sometimes up to 20 in a day. This year seems to be late, and slow, but no reason to think that applies to any other year. Especially given that we just came off a bumper year last year

Albion test fishery numbers for Chinook for the month of August are down roughly 10% vs last year for the same time period. Considering the warm blob this year and the strong fishing last August I would say that is hardly dire.

Sounds like someone didn't catch many fish this season! Don't trip on that lip! Still lots to come

Sounds like someone didn't catch many fish this season! Don't trip on that lip! Still lots to come
I have only been out a few times, I was at the Hump early and caught a few. Somehow I missed the big runs at the Hump tho, they showed late I heard. I didn't get a chance to get over to Thrasher for the specatacular fishing either.

My two cents...
Stupid rain has come and it's a long weekend...thinking it's going to be some tough fishing for the foreseeable future...what fresh waves of fish do come in will be shooting straight up...going to give it a hard go this weekend and the next; then I'm hitting the rivers, Harrison and Vedder, lucky a buddy of mine just picked up a river boat this season and is eagerly awaiting the fresh water fisheries to start ramping up...

If you check the archived posts for last year you'll see some of the hottest fishing for those huge springs being caught was well into September. Could be plenty of fishing left yet!

I have only been out a few times, I was at the Hump early and caught a few. Somehow I missed the big runs at the Hump tho, they showed late I heard. I didn't get a chance to get over to Thrasher for the specatacular fishing either.

Didn't miss much , was the worst year for me in 20, records are pretty consistent for me that this was a bad year run.......NEXT YEAR ! Oh ya, Sept was good in all the past years but then again this was an off year , for me anyway (On the Strait ).....my 2 cents

For myself, last September was a pretty solid month of good, make that great fishing at N/S.Arm . Caught and released a 40 x 26" slab on the 27th of September to finish my Fraser season.
Down the west coast there has been decent fish taken in Sooke (40# class) and they're still seeing the odd big fish up in the Central Coast. I hope the best is still coming for the Fraser mouths.
Saturday's looking good.

For myself, last September was a pretty solid month of good, make that great fishing at N/S.Arm . Caught and released a 40 x 26" slab on the 27th of September to finish my Fraser season.
Down the west coast there has been decent fish taken in Sooke (40# class) and they're still seeing the odd big fish up in the Central Coast. I hope the best is still coming for the Fraser mouths.
Saturday's looking good.

I have been salt water salmon fishing locally for close to twenty years, focussing on Chinook. Not a novice by any means. Last year was by far the best fishing I have experienced and this year is possibly the poorest. Four trips to Sandheads resulted in two keeper Chinooks and a couple of dogfish (returned).

I have to agree with those that don't think the Chinook fishing is over yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back