OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
first time at sandheads??? when the fish are there its lights out cant get the lines down fast enough.... glad you had a good day it will only get better there if the winds take a break and we can fish it

The thing is that in recent years (the last 6) almost all the fish are small... averaging under 20 pounds. Fun none the less. When you have your pick of 25 pounders and up and are catch and release that's more like it..... And then it gets to be a LOT more fun. We'll see what the Harrison Whites come in at.... We can only hope we have some fish with some shoulders show up. A 25 pounder seems to be a lunker and a high twenties a jaw dropper....and Vancouver Tyees are unicorns. Heard the derby leader is just a 19 pounder so far and that's a lot of rods in the water so for those who boated anything legitimately bigger yesterday may want to invest in a bottle of tonic for tonight. Boats are out fishing now and rods are raised at 1pm.

The Environment Canada WTF Forecast continues.... It's like a lake out there and it's supposed to be a roaring storm...

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    481.9 KB · Views: 27
The thing is that in recent years (the last 6) almost all the fish are small... averaging under 20 pounds. Fun none the less. When you have your pick of 25 pounders and up and are catch and release that's more like it..... And then it gets to be a LOT more fun. We'll see what the Harrison Whites come in at.... We can only hope we have some fish with some shoulders show up. A 25 pounder seems to be a lunker and a high twenties a jaw dropper....and Vancouver Tyees are unicorns. Heard the derby leader is just a 19 pounder so far and that's a lot of rods in the water so for those who boated anything legitimately bigger yesterday may want to invest in a bottle of tonic for tonight. Boats are out fishing now and rods are raised at 1pm.

Lots of "Unicorns" are in and will be coming , just watch . Fish them slow with anchovies = the tonic .... Good luck latching on to em (and the twenty pounders are a blast anyway lol

Where would the best boat launch to launch to fish the sandheads..? Any specific tides to launch on ? Cant find lodging for two familys in ucluelet or tofino so figured just fish van

Nice calm morning in the straight hope u guys all get some nice action. I'll be back out soon enough.

Where would the best boat launch to launch to fish the sandheads..? Any specific tides to launch on ? Cant find lodging for two familys in ucluelet or tofino so figured just fish van
Steveston harbour authority, any tide

McDonald

McDonald Beach ( N Arm) but it's a 7 mile run.
The Steveston Harbour, mouth of the S Arm and the Bend really fricken blows up, the bend is a normal but the mouth is a force to recon with at times..... Play safe and good luck.
PS beats all the crap floating in the north arm at times lol

Bit of a breeze blew up to while ago but it's died off. May blow up the air mattress and drift out back.

Glad you guys all had good weather for the derby. From the sounds of it everyone got into some that's great. I should have gone out too. I'm trying to get some last minute work done on my boat, as I'm hoping to take the little girl offshore next week in Barkley Sound. Congrats to the lucky derby winner.

Lots of "Unicorns" are in and will be coming , just watch . Fish them slow with anchovies = the tonic .... Good luck latching on to em (and the twenty pounders are a blast anyway lol

Lots of Unicorns?? I call bullsh*t.

Everytime I see someone on one of the local freshwater websites post a picture of what they call a Tyee it is a beat up black boot of a 24 pounder.....which they grow to a mid to high thirties. And the high twenties they call a 40 and the 34-36 pounders they call a 50 plus. There may be some really nice Harrison Whites in the mix but to say "lots" is another. They are hard to intercept off the Fraser Mouth and it's not a prolonged fishery like the Reds.

I won't be carrying any Anchovies over the winter in my freezer...guess I'm going to have to go hunting for Unicorns.

Everytime I see someone on one of the local freshwater websites post a picture of what they call a Tyee it is a beat up black boot of a 24 pounder.....which they grow to a mid to high thirties. And the high twenties they call a 40 and the 34-36 pounders they call a 50 plus. There may be some really nice Harrison Whites in the mix but to say "lots" is another. They are hard to intercept off the Fraser Mouth and it's not a prolonged fishery like the Reds.

I won't be carrying any Anchovies over the winter in my freezer...guess I'm going to have to go hunting for Unicorns.

Step on the tail, pull on the scale. Lots of exaggeration out there. You know all fishermen are liars right? :)

My favorite in the old days was the Sewalls fishing report. Tyees caught in Horseshoe Bay every week according to them. Of course the fact that their scale was always set to 30% overweight might have had something to do with it. Not sure if they ever figured out how to calibrate their scale there, but it always made me chuckle any time I weighed in a fish at Horseshoe Bay.

Last edited:
A little late for this report, but eh!
Fished T10 yesterday from 600am to 1130am.
Winds weren't bad at the beginning, but did blow in fairly well shortly after; heard they died off shortly after I left.
Kicker wouldn't start, power there but think my auto swifch died or has a kink in the cable...no back up pull start option...Made for a hard day going with the wind, was trolling up to 3miles and hour and constantly horsing around with the throttle.
One of the first boats, there. Then the derby came:)...
Kind of cool seeing 15+ boats come charging in.
From what I read on this blog, I fished shallow, 60-80, had a spakle back on one side, chovie on the other; no luck on either, caught one dog on the chovie.
Was marking them east of T10 on all depths, so also gave a try between 90 and 130.
Would never of thought 10-30 as Stingray had mentioned...
Will be out next Saturday or Sunday pending conditions.
Glad to hear there here, guess I'll mix up the depths a little more and fish only chovies, don't like running more than two rods, but think I might switch that up too.

Glad you guys all had good weather for the derby. From the sounds of it everyone got into some that's great. I should have gone out too. I'm trying to get some last minute work done on my boat, as I'm hoping to take the little girl offshore next week in Barkley Sound. Congrats to the lucky derby winner.
Good luck in Barkley. Hopefully the weather is good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back