OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of "Unicorns" are in and will be coming , just watch . Fish them slow with anchovies = the tonic ....
check out my pic - caught at the wall last July 4, 2015 on a chovy (slow) right at slack tide - weighed 34 lbs on our scale on the boat, then 31lbs at the dock at Lions Bay after bleeding, so pretty sure it was a Tyee... last year was a much different year for fishing, tho! I'm such a wimp - I was actually scared to try to pick it up in case it slid into the water!

The weather was much nicer today than yesterday morning. Was a lil worried after reading a few reports of possible 20 knot winds. Fishing was much slower tho. No keepers, a few shakers and a couple good tangles. Didn't see as many big fish today on other boats either but hopefully some of you got into a few.

Heard of a capsized fishing boat in west van this afternoon and two anglers in the water. Anyone has any updates?

Dam that hurts none of my buddys wanted to go in the derby next year ill find someone lol we seen the biat that capsized at Ambelside he said he got swamped by waves!! **** floating everywhere and some fuel or oil in the water!

Was the wind that bad to make them capsize or was it a small=ish boat? I've been there in my small inflatable and never felt too nervous.

I've been in the harbor in pretty nasty conditions, green water over the bow with wave after wave. Problem is the waves get stacked and I wasn't game to try and turn back, went out to a freighter to get a break in the waves so I could slink my butt home.

Slow day at the mouth. Not in the derby but a good number of boats out. Only saw ONE boat hook up and call the measuring boat over.... Not a good showing for those that ponied up the big bucks for the derby.

Missed three big hits, reeled in two Jack's and a dogfish. Busy sounder, not busy rods though.

Wind really picked up around 6pm at the south arm, maybe 20ish knots . To the lunatic in the 14' tinny if you're reading this: you had no business out there in those conditions.... Couldn't believe that...Be careful out there

Picked up a fiesty 10# red at sandheads. 5:30 right as the wind crawled in. We netted and jetted.
Both down rigger cables snapped for no apparent reason around 2pm. Had to run to Stevenson for new cannonballs and clips to keep the lines down. I'll take the consolation I guess. I'll be out most evenings in coming weeks as weather permits. I'd say how deep but the counter isn't working. I've been guessing all summer (8 full seconds down haha)

I picked up a 22lb red at the North Arm at 10:30,. I really thought I got sealed, it just kept taking line. I managed to get the speed down to a point I had some ability to turn with some control and it finally turned and I knew it wasn't a seal. I took my time on this one and managed to solo net her about a half hour later. I was expecting a better day, but it turned out ok.

Last edited:
Slow day at the mouth. Not in the derby but a good number of boats out. Only saw ONE boat hook up and call the measuring boat over.... Not a good showing for those that ponied up the big bucks for the derby.

Missed three big hits, reeled in two Jack's and a dogfish. Busy sounder, not busy rods though.

Wind really picked up around 6pm at the south arm, maybe 20ish knots . To the lunatic in the 14' tinny if you're reading this: you had no business out there in those conditions.... Couldn't believe that...Be careful out there

$300 is not big bucks for participating in the derby. That's a lot cheaper than the $1200-$1500 it used to be. Some people got a bargain and for the guy who won $15000 for a $300 wager they're loving it. Most of the participants spend thousands each year on this sport including boats, gas insurance, gear, maintenance, etc. $300 is really a drop in the bucket. Lift tickets for skiing etc aren't cheap either!!!

$300 is not big bucks for participating in the derby. That's a lot cheaper than the $1200-$1500 it used to be. Some people got a bargain and for the guy who won $15000 for a $300 wager they're loving it. Most of the participants spend thousands each year on this sport including boats, gas insurance, gear, maintenance, etc. $300 is really a drop in the bucket. Lift tickets for skiing etc aren't cheap either!!!
better then a 649 ticket

I could only manage to get out on Sunday as I had a reunion thing on Saturday. I was leaving Skyline as the first derby boats were leaving. I was hoping to beat them out. I beat most. I saw the start at the mouth. It looks like fun!

Picked up a fiesty 10# red at sandheads. 5:30 right as the wind crawled in. We netted and jetted.
Both down rigger cables snapped for no apparent reason around 2pm. Had to run to Stevenson for new cannonballs and clips to keep the lines down. I'll take the consolation I guess. I'll be out most evenings in coming weeks as weather permits. I'd say how deep but the counter isn't working. I've been guessing all summer (8 full seconds down haha)

it was pretty slow out there. didn't hep with the whale show twice. nice job on the fish. only thing that probably got caught. we lost a ball due to people cutting in front right at the weather station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back