OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished the Coal Ports from 3-7... Not a sniff tried bait, spoons, and hoochies...5 boats no wet nets...saw lots of bait but also lots of seals!!

I hooked two last week along West Van on grn glo hootchies, a chunky jumper which got long line release and a wild, but the grn glows weren't working for me today.

Did not fish myself yesterday. however, I did talk to 10 different boats who were while drinking a couple of beer dockside.

No chinooks locally...except for one maybe off Atkinson. Some guides ran over to the Gulf Islands and did well.

I plan to fish the Fraser mouth at the south arm this Saturday for springs. I fished it a couple years ago when sockeye were allowed and pulled up an incidental spring amongst the 150+ boats out in 300 FOW. Looking for a few tips on targeting springs there. Not an expert on the area, so just wanted to know if I'm wasting my time there right now. The mouth is a new area for me so hoping for a tiny bit of guidance without asking for too much details.

Much appreciated.

From what I have learned which isn't much hahah! I would fish the T-10 on low tide and fish the Sandheads on High Tide ,bait seems to be the key but we have got them on spoons also.Im heading out this afternoon ,ill post a report later!

I plan to fish the Fraser mouth at the south arm this Saturday for springs. I fished it a couple years ago when sockeye were allowed and pulled up an incidental spring amongst the 150+ boats out in 300 FOW. Looking for a few tips on targeting springs there. Not an expert on the area, so just wanted to know if I'm wasting my time there right now. The mouth is a new area for me so hoping for a tiny bit of guidance without asking for too much details.

Much appreciated.
Yeah, you can't go wrong using bait in that area. I haven't heard many reports yet but they should be showing up any time. 50' to 70' was the key depths last year for us. Chartreuse and glow green teaser head caught most of our fish.

From what I have learned which isn't much hahah! I would fish the T-10 on low tide and fish the Sandheads on High Tide ,bait seems to be the key but we have got them on spoons also.Im heading out this afternoon ,ill post a report later!
Thanks, guys (Chinnok too)... I'm familiar with the Sandheads light station, is the T-10 a similar structure? Trying to find it on a map.

Looking forward to your report, much appreciated.

Fished West Van from the Cap to the flats last night on the flood to high slack from 5 - 8 pm. Managed two small (2.5 - 3.5 lbs) hatch coho and two more fish that were long line released. One hit on anchovy and the other on green splatterback hootchie. Saw a nice high 20's / low 30's white spring back at the dock taken - and landed solo - in the harbour.

Sun came out just as we hit the water, beauty night out. Good to get a couple fish in the boat, seems like its been a while...

Went across the strait late last night as it was dead calm. Got to the Gulf Islands just before dark. Planned to do a little bottom fishing then troll for Salmon. Environment Canada blew it again. Wind totally kicked up across the strait by 8am. Somehow overnight it morphed into a strong wind warning. Pulled into Silva Bay for a bit to decide what to do. Checked all the reports and decided to just head back. It was pretty nasty over there and I had to be back today. So I thumped it back across the strait without even hardly getting the lines wet. Half way back the wind got a little better on this side. Just FYI I wouldn't plan on a trip over to the other side this afternoon unless you've got a big boat.

Thanks, guys (Chinnok too)... I'm familiar with the Sandheads light station, is the T-10 a similar structure? Trying to find it on a map.

Looking forward to your report, much appreciated.

Attachments

• 1458.JPG
    1458.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 62
Out today in W. Van from 6:45 - 1:30 with no hits. Seemed to be slow with at least 20 other boats around and very few (if any) nets out. Pulled a few large crab up though.....

that was my 28lb white spring you saw at lionsgate dock last nite. fished from about 3 to 8:30 along west van from just east of the fisheries to the cap, saw one other net out the whole time, I had the one lucky hit on an anchovie close to the cap, it was an epic battle but I won, lol.

another epic battle happened at the dock just after those fellows that saw my fish left, after I cleaned it, I laid it on the dock and was cleaning my cooler, I hear a racket and the seal is on the dock going for my fish 2 feet from me, I yell at the bugger but he's still coming, he's a big seal too, sooo I lunge at him, he keeps on coming so I swing the cooler at the seal and he still thought about goin for it but headed over the side just before i was gonna put the boots to the sob. I couldn't believe it. No way he was gettin that spring it may have been the only spring in the whole damned harbor, lol.

was out from noon till 2 today, no action and didn't see any, only a few boats out. will be out early tomorrow

Attachments

• white spring (2).JPG
    white spring (2).JPG
    311.8 KB · Views: 114
Out tonight on the flats. Hit a wild coho in first five min. Then boxed one then one more hit then dead. Action at 5:00pm ish

Fished pink apartments from 6am-10am and only managed a 4lb hatchery coho and then fished pt Atkinson to fisheries from 10-1 with no hits. Coho was caught on a blue and white hootchie.

8.5 hours trolling time today targeting Chinooks. 1 bite. 1 Chinook. Saw no other Chinooks caught my in travels locally.

Fished pink apartments from 6am-10am and only managed a 4lb hatchery coho and then fished pt Atkinson to fisheries from 10-1 with no hits. Coho was caught on a blue and white hootchie.
hey fellas,
i'm an island moocher who would love to fish for coho in front of the capilano just once on an evening tide.my son now wants us to "just do it",rent a 16'dble eagle (check regs) drop a couple cut plugs …easy right?well i know nothing of the area or local etiquette etc.my main concern is how tricky it may be re:marine traffic.also is it a "stressful place" to fish(all vying for the glory hole),does everyone troll?would a slow moocher in the group cause grief?.
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back