OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I thought I'd post a friendly reminder for boats fishing Point Atkinson, and regulations in the Vancouver Harbour in general. There are some special regulations in place in the Vancouver harbour for fishing and crabbing. The link to the regs is:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html

Of note:
... Special hook restrictions around the Capilano river mouth from Aug 1st ...

Thanks for posting this one as a reminder. The wording that gets me is "It is illegal to .... use more than two single barbless hooks in tandem, each measuring no greater than 15 mm between the point and the shank of the hook may be used in Burrard Inlet near the mouth of the Capilano River from the 14 St. Pier, to Prospect Light, to the north tower of Lions Gate Bridge ...". As usual, the wording is a little awkward. Given that "in tandem" means in a row or in succession, is it OK to run either either one treble or a treble and a single in tandem or two singles in tandem but is it just not ok to run three or more singles in tandem?

p.s. as a fishing report, was coming back thru Porlier Pass late yesterday afternoon and saw a good (or bad) whale show on the way to Thrasher where the current and wind made it pretty unfishable for 30 minutes of unproductive fishing before we pulled up and crossed to just west of the T-10 and trolled 2/3 of the way back to the North Arm for another stint of unproductive fishing.

Thanks for posting this one as a reminder. The wording that gets me is "It is illegal to .... use more than two single barbless hooks in tandem, each measuring no greater than 15 mm between the point and the shank of the hook may be used in Burrard Inlet near the mouth of the Capilano River from the 14 St. Pier, to Prospect Light, to the north tower of Lions Gate Bridge ...". As usual, the wording is a little awkward. Given that "in tandem" means in a row or in succession, is it OK to run either either one treble or a treble and a single in tandem or two singles in tandem but is it just not ok to run three or more singles in tandem?

p.s. as a fishing report, was coming back thru Porlier Pass late yesterday afternoon and saw a good (or bad) whale show on the way to Thrasher where the current and wind made it pretty unfishable for 30 minutes of unproductive fishing before we pulled up and crossed to just west of the T-10 and trolled 2/3 of the way back to the North Arm for another stint of unproductive fishing.

No, it is illegal to use a treble hook in the vicinity of the cap mouth after Aug 1st. You may use two single barbless hooks that are within the size restriction. Clear as mud as usual with the DFO.

Thanks for the report Teja

Last edited:
I used to cut plug for coho a lot in the old days in front of Ambleside. Had great success doing that back then, of course there was a ton more coho in those days.

It's not that crowded there yet, so you could easily cutplug in that area without any problems. Fish the incoming tide from the west for best luck. I would often pull my lines after a full tack from the environment station to navy jack point, then run back. I always had more luck trolling with the tide, and the bait tended to stay together better not trolling against the tide.

Good luck, if there's some around I think you'll get some Coho. Next to nobody does it anymore but cut plugging is extremely effective.
thanx for the info guys and the ref. points to mark up my chart/map, should be a hoot
cheers!

fished entrance yesterday crossing was beautiful flat calm. fished from 8 -12 non stop action bonked 7 and released 15-20 fish depths were 90-165 hoochies spoons and bait were all working

Excellent. Lots of boats there today. The secret is out....

Hooper...start the boat.

yeah someone let the secret out yesterday ... was only a handful of boats there yesterday and today the whole guide fleet was there.... who told????lol

Sigh...

Last edited:
X2 on the PA comment. I was there yesterday around noon and at one point I counted 6 boats fishing the reef area! Thanks for the reminder.

No problemo. The regulation was brought into place to protect the decimated ground fish stocks in that area. If people keep trolling inshore on the reefs they may turn the whole area into a full blown Rca with boundaries that reach much further offshore. At least the way it is now you can still Salmon fish as long as you stay offshore away from the reefs. If guys keep pushing the limits it will only lead to tougher restrictions. Obey the rules because we have enough restrictions as it is.

I'm sure some of it is ignorance of the rules, so that's why I thought I'd post the reminder.

Some guys still leaving crab traps out overnight in the harbour as well. That's pretty obvious when you go out to fish at first light. Against the rules and a hazard to navigation in the dark.

I'll clarify/correct some of the regulation statements above but to keep this off the reports thread I will move it over to a new thread. just called Vancouver Harbour Regs

Great seeing u back on the forum :)

Thx ......yah got some rare time to sit and do pretty much nothing......at home sick from work with 102.5F fever - feel way worse than a chinook released after scale loss...

I have to say. There appear to be more fish around than fishing reports seem to indicate. Various test sets while below average, certainly aren't that bad. Seems to be something is keeping the fish from biting... Perhaps it's the overabundance of bait everywhere, allowing them to be picky.

I have to say. There appear to be more fish around than fishing reports seem to indicate. Various test sets while below average, certainly aren't that bad. Seems to be something is keeping the fish from biting... Perhaps it's the overabundance of bait everywhere, allowing them to be picky.

Not buying that argument. Explain going 22 miles another direction and getting lots of action...

Not buying that argument. Explain going 22 miles another direction and getting lots of action...

I agree, its been a horrible year localy and I'm not running 22 miles against a NW wind on the hopes of catching something. Maybe try South Arm tomorrow and see if there is a straggler around.

[QUOBlackmax, post: 798800, member: 1127"]I agree, its been a horrible year localy and I'm not running 22 miles against a NW wind on the hopes of catching something. Maybe try South Arm tomorrow and see if there is a straggler around.[/QUOTE]
hi ,Fished west vancouver ,this morning,7 to 12 ,got 1 nice coho, got another bite didn't stick,not much action,didn't see the fish on the sounder like past few days,I don't think they went on the river,but were not there,I probably will try again Thursday,good luck to everyone

Second hand report here. Stopped at the ramp, as I was going right by at 8:30 tonight. Talked to 2 boats pulling out that were fishing. One guy was in a smaller boat who fished Ambleside in the PM, Nada.

The other boat was a larger boat that had been out since the am. He said he fished the morning tide at west van, T10, and had ran over and fished Thrasher. Nothing to show for all that running, except he said he'd gotten a couple of undersized springs (not sure where).

Just thought I'd report on what they told me. Pretty much like most guys lately, it's really a grind to get a decent fish on most boats right now. Hopefully the fish start showing in good numbers around here soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back