OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey fellas,
i'm an island moocher who would love to fish for coho in front of the capilano just once on an evening tide.my son now wants us to "just do it",rent a 16'dble eagle (check regs) drop a couple cut plugs …easy right?well i know nothing of the area or local etiquette etc.my main concern is how tricky it may be re:marine traffic.also is it a "stressful place" to fish(all vying for the glory hole),does everyone troll?would a slow moocher in the group cause grief?.
cheers

I'd suggest avoiding right in front of the Cap. Also Coho typically like a faster speed. I'd personally stick closer to the pink apartments and west or over along Spanish Banks/UBC

I'd suggest avoiding right in front of the Cap. Also Coho typically like a faster speed. I'd personally stick closer to the pink apartments and west or over along Spanish Banks/UBC

I used to cut plug for coho a lot in the old days in front of Ambleside. Had great success doing that back then, of course there was a ton more coho in those days.

It's not that crowded there yet, so you could easily cutplug in that area without any problems. Fish the incoming tide from the west for best luck. I would often pull my lines after a full tack from the environment station to navy jack point, then run back. I always had more luck trolling with the tide, and the bait tended to stay together better not trolling against the tide.

Good luck, if there's some around I think you'll get some Coho. Next to nobody does it anymore but cut plugging is extremely effective.

Morning everyone.... Fishing pink apartments right now, been out here about an hour... fish Marking, no bites, water calm...

Guess I probably saw you at the ramp. I was out by 5:30 at the pink palace as well. Lots of boats for the morning incoming tide. I was solo, so I went old school and used a dodger and weights rather than the riggers. Got one coho not very big that I released. Caught it on an Apex behind an old Abe & Al detuned to be a dodger, rather than a rotating flasher. 8 Oz weight 40 pulls in 35ft of water.

That was it for the morning for me. There was a bit of a bite before the tide as I saw a few boats with fish on around the same time I got mine. I think most of the fish I saw landed were coho. One fish looked a pretty good size and I asked the guy who had just landed it if it was a spring. He said it was quite big, but he thought it might be a coho. So, there was some action at Ambleside this morning, but not exactly a hot bite.

Fished the coal ports this morning 630-930, landed a 15 lb red spring on a white hoochie, only action of the morn

had an amazing day between the bellboy and qa marker. limited out on dogfish and after all the bait was gone switched it up to spoons and hoochies. not a single salmon biting today for us :(

had an amazing day between the bellboy and qa marker. limited out on dogfish and after all the bait was gone switched it up to spoons and hoochies. not a single salmon biting today for us :(

Dogfish are in there THICK right now... painful losing gear and bait to them all day !

fishing the wrong side of the strait

I've heard a rumor that the city of west van has put a 'Closed' sign at the AMbleside's boat ramp but I'm also hearing thta people are still launching their boats. Can somebody please confirm if the ramp is still open in August? Thanks.

P.S. I called the city's engineering group on Friday but the person on the other side of the line didn't know anything about the ramp closure issue!!

Guess I probably saw you at the ramp. I was out by 5:30 at the pink palace as well. Lots of boats for the morning incoming tide.

We launched at Vanier, we were there two in the black Legend... We put a solid 10 hours on the water yesterday... Fished West van until 10, moved to bell, then banana and back.... Nothing but a stupid mud shark at the end of the day...

My partner ran bait all day and I used about 4 different hootchies and a few different spoons... Nothing doing...

We launched at Vanier, we were there two in the black Legend... We put a solid 10 hours on the water yesterday... Fished West van until 10, moved to bell, then banana and back.... Nothing but a stupid mud shark at the end of the day...

My partner ran bait all day and I used about 4 different hootchies and a few different spoons... Nothing doing...

I know it's been really tough out there. Strangely enough I have had only one lure that has been getting a fish or sometimes 2 when I've been out. It's a really goofy pattern apex that I've had really good luck on trout with. I think they call it the "rocket" colour. I almost never usually use Apex's in the ocean, but lately it's the only lure to pick up fish. I haven't resorted to dragging bait yet. Good luck next time, nice meeting you.

Been out here at Point Atkinson since 9am. No bites yet running 3 lines @ 25',55' and 85'. Spoons, hoochies and bait.

That's pretty sad you can usually get at least one fish at Atkinson right at the tide change if your there. You should have just made the tide, so I might have thought you'd get something. There's been a fair number of boats working PA lately, so I'm assuming guys have been having some luck there. The last time I was there a week or so ago I got one spring, but it was a small feeder.

fishing the wrong side of the strait

Sometimes it's not so easy too make the crossing in a smaller boat. I went over a few days back hoping to get some good fishing in. The wind blew up and a had to come straight back before it got even worse as it was forecast. So, that's not an great option for everyone. My boat is only 18 feet and I have to be careful on a crossing. I used to have a 25 footer, and I still had to careful at times in that. I had some pretty nasty crossings even in my old 25 foot boat. The strait has to be respected, it can get pretty snotty at times out there.

Was out all day Sunday fished West van,PA and the Bell didn't get a sniff tried Bait,spoons and hootchies seen a couple small schools of fish and a lot of bait stacked up at the Cap,hoping it gets better soon!!!

I know someone who has been investigating the Berry's Bait and Tackle reports of the "coal ports" all day since 6 am. 5 dogfish so far, 1 1o pound football jack spring, 1 "hit and run" then nothing, and 2 other jacks and nothing else. 12 other boats visible and no one else has had any that he can see (through binoculars). A little breezy. 30 gallon fuel bill waiting for him upon return.

Hey guys, I thought I'd post a friendly reminder for boats fishing Point Atkinson, and regulations in the Vancouver Harbour in general. There are some special regulations in place in the Vancouver harbour for fishing and crabbing. The link to the regs is:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html

Of note:

No fishing within 100 meters of the shoreline around Point Atkinson.

Special hook restrictions around the Capilano river mouth from Aug 1st.

Navigation restriction Capilano River mouth.

Crabbing restriction Vancouver harbour during night time.

I thought I'd mention this as guys have been fishing right close to shore around Point Atkinson every time I've been there lately. You need to fish a fair ways off the shoreline their or you could get ticketed. I know that puts the best reef out of bounds where I used to get most of my Salmon, but it has been closed for quite some time. Just a heads up on the special regs in the harbour, I think some guys might want to read them or you could get ticketed.

I know someone who has been investigating the Berry's Bait and Tackle reports of the "coal ports" all day since 6 am. 5 dogfish so far, 1 1o pound football jack spring, 1 "hit and run" then nothing, and 2 other jacks and nothing else. 12 other boats visible and no one else has had any that he can see (through binoculars). A little breezy. 30 gallon fuel bill waiting for him upon return.

Ouch, glad my boat is a little better on gas. The springs should be coming in very soon let's hope. The Fraser river mouth traditionally starts to heat up any time now. Let's hope they're just rounding the corner.

Thanks for the report FM.

Ouch, glad my boat is a little better on gas. The springs should be coming in very soon let's hope. The Fraser river mouth traditionally starts to heat up any time now. Let's hope they're just rounding the corner.

Thanks for the report FM.

You're welcome.

He burns 16 gph running twin 225's out of False Creek so that says it all .

I know someone else who fished the T10 yesterday. He's a guide who has lots of experience maximizing production out of there. Nothing.

He fished sandheads for a few hours too. No love other than 2 jacks. Saw no one else with any fish either.

2 local guides fished the Bell yesterday morning. nada. I didn't go based on Saturday's results.

West Van is coughing up the odd fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back