OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started at the Bell yesterday morning around 7:30am. Saw bait and arches on the sounder but only pulled up a few shakers. I didn't notice any activity among the other boats that were there but might have been an earlier bite. By 8:30am the sounder was blank. Decided to pull up and head over to Hole in the Wall. Flat calm but didn't see much of anything on the sounder & no observable activity among the other boats that were there. After about 90 minutes, pulled up with intent of trying the Hump but the wind forced us to tuck in behind Cowan Point. Picked up 2 keepers on anchovy at 50'. Released a few undersized as well.

Started the afternoon at HITW, caught and released one just under legal and then moved to the bell. Lots of shakers but no takers. Anchovies and spoons between 40-70 ft.

Launched at 5 am to get ahead of the low tide at the Vanier boat ramp. Only one side open at the ramp, and it is hopeless at low tide. Dropped traps and started fishing around the QA. Beautiful day, but I got very frustrated and had to pull up lines. The is some algae bloom going on around the river mouth. The lines couldn't stay in the water for more than 10mins without being totally fouled with goop so thick you couldn't even get your line through the guides as it piled up. I've never seen it so bad. It would get so thick on the line it was tripping the autostop on the Downrigger. I caught a bunch of those small hake, or whatever those things are called that are infesting our local waters these days. Between the sh*tfish and the goop fouling the lines I couldn't keep my lines clean, so I pulled the lines in.

It was a beautiful day, so I didn't want to go in already. Instead I motored over to the north shore and put out a couple of surface lines running apexes to maybe pick up an early coho. I was sick of trying to keep the riggers and four lines clean as it was impossible around the QA. I caught one small fish on the apex. I figured it would have been a coho, but when I got it to the boat I was a little surprised. I think it was a sea run Dolly Varden. I didn't really take any time to ID it, as I wanted to get it released ASAP.

Pulled the traps and lots of nice size crabs. Too bad about all the snot in the water or it would have been a great day.

Have guys fishing in other locations been getting that gear fouling problem too. I've experienced that algae issue before, but never seen it this bad.

It was pretty bad over at Thrasher earlier this month in spots. Wasn't everywhere though. Seemed to be piling up on tide lines.

Hmmm... and I was thinking of hitter Thrasher this weekend.

Noticed that brown algae goop and lots of jelly fish a lot lately. I found the best way to get it was to pinch the line while reeling in then once its bulked up, twisting the line (similar to putting line in the clip) then squeezing it off. With the rigger every few drops i do the same but it was a bit easier to just let the wire grind the goop off by squeezing it against the wire while it retrieved - may be difficult to do this for you braid users.

Noticed that brown algae goop and lots of jelly fish a lot lately. I found the best way to get it was to pinch the line while reeling in then once its bulked up, twisting the line (similar to putting line in the clip) then squeezing it off. With the rigger every few drops i do the same but it was a bit easier to just let the wire grind the goop off by squeezing it against the wire while it retrieved - may be difficult to do this for you braid users.

It was just too thick to keep ahead of the goop on the lines. It would be bunched up at the rod tip too thick to even pass though the guides. I was using a cloth to try and pull clumps of it off the lines. I just couldn't stay ahead of it. When I pulled the lines up the lures were covered in it along with jellyfish slime. It was just plain unmanageable. I've never seen it that bad. I just had to pack it in. Hope it goes away quickly because I go fishing to relax. I like to do my cleaning back at home.

You had to see it to believe it. I've been fishing the chuck for over 40 years and I've never seen anything like that.

I noticed that sh*t last weekend as well. Had to hose off the reels in the backyard with extreme pressure to dislodge off the line when I got home. I have seen that crap off the West Coast of the island mid summer quite often.

Hmmm... and I was thinking of hitter Thrasher this weekend.

It was tough fishing last weekend.....we had good weather compared to what you guys had but legal fish were tough to come by. We fished Friday afternoon/Saturday out off the rock as well as along the Grande and worked out into the deeper water trying to find them. We did manage a few but it was not as we've experienced around this time in past years. Didn't see too many boats with nets out either.....not that there were very many boats around.

Sounds like reports are a bit better from Entrance heading north to Fingers etc and we were tempted to head up that way Sunday however with lumpy water and foggy heads :rolleyes: we made the run home.

I was out on Sunday it didn't seem to be that bad ,i guess it's getting worse ..... can anyone tell me how far down does the silty water go from surface down .. 50' ??
its only in the top 10'-15'... when a tug goes threw it, they leave a clear water path.

It was tough fishing last weekend.....we had good weather compared to what you guys had but legal fish were tough to come by. We fished Friday afternoon/Saturday out off the rock as well as along the Grande and worked out into the deeper water trying to find them. We did manage a few but it was not as we've experienced around this time in past years. Didn't see too many boats with nets out either.....not that there were very many boats around.

Sounds like reports are a bit better from Entrance heading north to Fingers etc and we were tempted to head up that way Sunday however with lumpy water and foggy heads :rolleyes: we made the run home.

Some bigger fish starting to show up off the fingers. I picked up a 33 pound tyee and a few smaller springs on Sunday.

I was out on Sunday it didn't seem to be that bad ,i guess it's getting worse ..... can anyone tell me how far down does the silty water go from surface down .. 50' ??
we had a boat that drew 7' of water and would churn up clear salt water from below the fresh, so maybe only 6-8'

Snagged a submerged crab trap in deep water with my downrigger ball. If you have lost a trap in the last few weeks near pt gray, pm me details. The float had no discerable name.

Hey ryanb did it have a red and white bullet float on it. I hooked one pulling my traps the other day out in that area but lost it just before i could grab it

Snagged a submerged crab trap in deep water with my downrigger ball. If you have lost a trap in the last few weeks near pt gray, pm me details. The float had no discerable name.
I have lost or got stolen 2 black crab traps and 2 blue ones I had blue line and yellow line on them also the buoy would be the army and navy type red and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back