Nog's Needle - The Good News

Barkeeper's Friend:-

On their site it specifically says NOT to use it on Gold.

I might have a look at "Tarn-X".........but Tarn-X says not to use on stainless steel......so could be a problem for rings and hooks.....

Last edited by a moderator:
did up a couple for a friend with black marking pen and glow or UV tape in a cop car type idea - apparently worked well for them off WCVI this weekend. also switched out the stock hook for a beaked 4/0 eagle claw out of personal preference

What type of paint? Brand?

I am not sure but will look for you. It looks good but will rub off right away and wouldn't recommend it. I bought it from Lordco. Fluorescent yellow and green. The white is rv white tremclad( takes long time to dry but more durable)

Probably cheaper and easier to wait for the painted versions to come out in Oct. Two cans of paint =two lures.

JL

Just an update on my first use of the spoons up here in Prince Rupert. We used the silver spoon on one side and anchovy on the other, both down between 60-70 feet running above a dummy daisy chain. Anchovy got the first fish, a small coho. The spoon got the next two, a pair of 10 pound cohos. The anchovy got the next five we kept, 4 cohos and a 20 pound spring. To be fair, the spoon was not in the water when the spring was caught. The spoon hooked 2 more small ones we let go, while the anchovy had 4-5 small fish and one nice one that got away. The anchovy was the clear winner, but it was very nice to have a spoon that didn't need to be checked routinely, and it did produce fish on a slow day.

I believe Nogs is hard @ work somewhere on the north coast.

That I have! Went out for a supposed "two-week run" for springs that ended up taking pretty much three to mop up the quota, then ran to Hardy for a quick and dirty 3 day opening on sockeye. Then ran the Big Rig straight through from Hardy to Ukee, and am now back home having spent just over a month away. Seriously BAGGED! :p

Spring fishing off Esperanza was as good as I've ever seen it! A LOT of Large and Hungry fish to contend with! Hands and gaffing arm are still a tad shaky... LOL! Sox were OK, but smaller than what we've seen in years past.
All in all a rather Fun experience!

Developed a new plug finish for springs y'all will be hearing about over the winter, and a new herring spoon in the works as well. No Rest For The Wicked!! LOL!

Great to see the launch of the needlefish was a success, and that they are catching as they were designed to!!
Many Thanks for all the kind words in this post folks! Certainly feels GOOD to know all that hard effort over the past few years is paying off! Love to hear that Folks! Certainly made me GRIN upon reading the various posts here about them!!

A LOT on the plate having been away for so long, but wanted to THANK you all for the Smile I am still wearing this very moment! :D

Cheers & Tight Lines!
Nog

back from Ukee, and a quick report on the NOG NEEDLE

I dragged a silver one on the bottom line above a dummy flasher, hoping for hali, spring or ling.

first fish to chomp down, after an hr, ripped the down rigger and the game was on. Son wound up with 24.5lb beaut for the first go at the NOG.

fishing was slow on both sides of boat, but the bigger fish were caught on the NOG, over the next 6 days. Kids and friends went home very happy. They caught several springs from 18 to 24.5, and to make it more exciting, I only use Knuckle Duster's...

That I have! Went out for a supposed "two-week run" for springs that ended up taking pretty much three to mop up the quota, then ran to Hardy for a quick and dirty 3 day opening on sockeye. Then ran the Big Rig straight through from Hardy to Ukee, and am now back home having spent just over a month away. Seriously BAGGED! :p

Spring fishing off Esperanza was as good as I've ever seen it! A LOT of Large and Hungry fish to contend with! Hands and gaffing arm are still a tad shaky... LOL! Sox were OK, but smaller than what we've seen in years past.
All in all a rather Fun experience!

Developed a new plug finish for springs y'all will be hearing about over the winter, and a new herring spoon in the works as well. No Rest For The Wicked!! LOL!

Great to see the launch of the needlefish was a success, and that they are catching as they were designed to!!
Many Thanks for all the kind words in this post folks! Certainly feels GOOD to know all that hard effort over the past few years is paying off! Love to hear that Folks! Certainly made me GRIN upon reading the various posts here about them!!

A LOT on the plate having been away for so long, but wanted to THANK you all for the Smile I am still wearing this very moment! :D

Cheers & Tight Lines!
Nog

Oh c'mon Matt. A month of dark to dark fishing and you're tired???

Suck it up, buttercup ;)

Too darn hot for moose!! Flies,heat,bloat... No draws this year,may have to go early too.... Drat!! Looking forward to finally giving the Nogs Needles a go starting tomorrow at a Bamfield for 5 days!
That's if Felix has left any fish for us poor short term visitors! LOL!!

Nog

What were the top plugs for you guys on the commie opening? Did you use the usual West Coast 602, 500, 84, and 408's or did anything new emerge as a producer. I assume you ran mainly 7" with a few 6". Very curious as I had limited success with my plugging beachside in Winter Harbour, good spoon fishing on some old commercial (Pal PC3 all chrome was my fav) but I wanted to catch more on plugs...just didn't.

Too darn hot for moose!! Flies,heat,bloat... No draws this year,may have to go early too.... Drat!!

There are ways to deal with that. This year we're dragging in an over-sized freezer and generator to camp. Should heat-sink the slobbernoses pretty damn quick! ;)

Good Luck in Bam-Bam!!

What were the top plugs for you guys on the commie opening? Did you use the usual West Coast 602, 500, 84, and 408's or did anything new emerge as a producer. I assume you ran mainly 7" with a few 6".

At the risk of hi-jacking my own thread here... LOL!
We ran a pretty wide array of plugs. Good producers were the old reliable 500's, 602's and 98R's. Best of the lot was a new pattern I came up this summer with to represent herring. In fact, over 2/3 of the initial catch in the first few days came to just that design. Have just a little "tweaking" to perform with it, and I'll be discussing that here albeit on a different thread...

LOTS of Emails while I was gone! Many seem somewhat surprised the needlefish is working as well as it is for them, and the comments most prevalent are Killer, Awesome, Need More, etc etc. Somehow I am not overly surprised myself, as they continue to mimic the results we enjoyed in the many years of testing them.

I'd like to see a little more of the success pix and tales with these guys being posted. To that end, I am toying with the idea of a little "mini-derby" for those who are using them. Will letcha know as this develops...

Cheers,
Nog

Just ordered a few Needles, they look real nice, but wondering does anyone know where to get the rings that are welded on other than from Nog? I used to do my own soldering years ago when I changed the hooks on Alaskan Plugs for Alberni Inlet. Wow, that was ages ago, but I can't remember how I got the rings and I think I had a little hand held torch with some low melting point solder?? Reason I ask is I want to change the split rings on the Sitka spoons to welded also. I have some east coast of the US tuna split rings that are just slightly too big to fit in the hole on the Sitka, so rings are it if I can get some??

get some brass wire and bend it around a dowel of some sort, then use side cutters to separate your rings.

Just a short thank you for a quick delivery and to let you know that we were successful a multiple of times using the nickel spoon. Awesome job!!

Back