Nog's Needle - The Good News

I have found many placements of the blades and hooks on various Nog's Needles. I have reversed hooks and cut off some of the blades and did what I felt was right. No matter how they are set up they kill fish. I was even thinking about removing the hook and running the dam things backwards. Haven't been many days that these things have not out fished the other gear I am running.

Take them out of the envelope, tie them to some 40lb leader and a chain swivel, sharpen that hook :) drop them to the bottom and kill some fish. Pretty simple........ :)

I can comment on the hooks.

Prarie Buoy, you are correct on two things. It is one person who is rigging the hooks on the spoons. They have been fired! Just kidding.... But I must bare sole responsibility for any aspects of the manufacture of these lures, as it is just myself (Nick) handling the manufacturing and rigging.

Before our first production run, a change was made to the direction of the flipper tail. I personally did not compensate for that change when crimping hooks on the first production batch. Sadder, is I had yet to notice the mistake until you had made your post. So....

....cont.

A bulk email will be sent later today to all of our customers. If you wish to have the hooks replaced on your lures please reply to the email and I will send out the replacement hooks.

Please understand this may take a couple of weeks to fill the requests. I apologize for the mistake and will certainly rectify the problem as quickly as possible.

Please stand by for an email for those who have placed orders online.

I apologize for the mistake. For those who would rather replace and reverse the hooks themselves, do so with a 4/0 hook.

**To confirm: Our first production run of lures had the hooks crimped on backwards**
please reply to the incoming email from ironneedlelures@gmail.com if you wish to have replacement hooks mailed to you at no cost.

Thank you for your understanding as we Iron out some of the bugs of our initial production runs.

Nick @ IRON NEEDLE LURES

[as of 10:20am, the bulk email has been sent. Thank You!]

Last edited by a moderator:
FA - What hooks did you replace them with? I am partial to siwash gammi's (Some people don't like them, but personally I have an amazing success rate post-hookup with them this year), but I like the hooks that come with the lures as well (they seem to be nice quality). Seems like a huge pain to send out two hooks just to fix the problem, not worth the burden so I'll just replace them :)

PS: what do you guys find is producing more? Gold or Nickel... I just bought two gold ones, thinking I should have bought a nickel plated version as well...

I have been using the 4/0 and 5/0 stainless Mustad XXX hooks. My favourite spoon to date is the gold one with a 50/50 white and chrome with some special black writing on it running in close second :)

I love red gammy octopus hooks but their siwash hooks suck in my opinion

Top spoon in pic is a "Nog's" with the hook the way it came (backwards)

Bottom spoon is another brand but the hook is facing inward.........like suggested.......

Now just to get this straight:- when the hook is facing "inward" (like the bottom one) you want the flapper tail on the OUTSIDE of the hook....correct? And you want the curve of the flappertail matching the bodycurve of the spoon....right?

You don't want the flappertail on the "inside" of the hook................(or do you...:D)

That said:- is the flappertail all that important on the "Nog"?.........I take them off every other spoon I own.....

001.jpg

Seafever, you are correct. The Needle should have been rigged with the curve of the tail following the curve of the spoon with the blade backing the shank of the spoon.
The flipper tail is important as it adds the needed weight at that back of the spoon to achieve the desired action. As mentioned on the website, if you wish to remove the blade, go up to a 5/0 hook size to compensate.

FA - What hooks did you replace them with? I am partial to siwash gammi's (Some people don't like them, but personally I have an amazing success rate post-hookup with them this year), but I like the hooks that come with the lures as well (they seem to be nice quality). Seems like a huge pain to send out two hooks just to fix the problem, not worth the burden so I'll just replace them :)

PS: what do you guys find is producing more? Gold or Nickel... I just bought two gold ones, thinking I should have bought a nickel plated version as well...

I replaced mine with Mustaad salmon Triple xxx same as FA. I have been having good success with a glow cop car version I put on the silver one with a silver underbelly.

What's the best thing for polishing/cleaning the Gold Nog?

I find that Brasso works for Chrome, Brass, Copper and Nickel spoons.........

But when it comes to goldplated spoons....Brasso not so good....

I also notice that goldplated finish on some other brand spoons is a little more fragile than most metal plated finishes......

What do you use for goldplated? and/or genuine silver plated for that matter.......

What's the best thing for polishing/cleaning the Gold Nog?

I find that Brasso works for Chrome, Brass, Copper and Nickel spoons.........

But when it comes to goldplated spoons....Brasso not so good....

I also notice that goldplated finish on some other brand spoons is a little more fragile than most metal plated finishes......

What do you use for goldplated? and/or genuine silver plated for that matter.......

I use my shirt

I've tried wiping them off after washing them with soapy water and rinsing.......using a soft dry cloth......

but I can still see areas of some kind of patina on them I'd like to get rid of....which don't come off with an ordinary cloth.

That said :--- I have a 50/50 gold plated TKO spoon ........I can actually rub the gold finish off it with a dry soft cloth......I stopped doing it as soon as I noticed what was going on.....so 98% of the spoon is still good.

I can comment on the hooks.

Prarie Buoy, you are correct on two things. It is one person who is rigging the hooks on the spoons. They have been fired! Just kidding.... But I must bare sole responsibility for any aspects of the manufacture of these lures, as it is just myself (Nick) handling the manufacturing and rigging.

Before our first production run, a change was made to the direction of the flipper tail. I personally did not compensate for that change when crimping hooks on the first production batch. Sadder, is I had yet to notice the mistake until you had made your post. So....

....cont.

No problem. Existing hooks have been opened and re crimped facing other direction. No need to waste postage & send new hooks. Didn't quite understand your tail instructions so just slid it to back side of hook, same way as coyote spoons... Can't reverse the tail dish anyway, as is a welded ring. You have a good solid product.. Keep up the good work!!

No problem. Existing hooks have been opened and re crimped facing other direction. No need to waste postage & send new hooks. Didn't quite understand your tail instructions so just slid it to back side of hook, same way as coyote spoons... Can't reverse the tail dish anyway, as is a welded ring. You have a good solid product.. Keep up the good work!!
I don't think it is wise to open those hooks and re-crimp them. Most will break while doing it and those that don't will be seriously weakened. I strongly suggest those hooks be discarded.

Here is a goldplated Nog that was washed , rinsed and 'shirtwiped" after use..... (there is a fingerprint on there...but that's from when I set it up for the picture)

As you can see there is some kind of something on there...it's not fingerprints and it doesn't come off by wiping.......

just wondering...if because it comes with a stainless hook there might be some kind of galvanic action going on with the goldplate....

( BTW.....don't recrimp hooks...they might look ok but you can't see the hairline crack that's in there.....it will get worse in the chuck and break when you get a fish on. Stainless hooks are real bad for re-crimping)

002.jpg

I don't think it is wise to open those hooks and re-crimp them. Most will break while doing it and those that don't will be seriously weakened. I strongly suggest those hooks be discarded.

I have to agree with spring fever. Opening and re-crimping the hook will weaken the eye.
Any metal that is bent it is no longer as strong as it once was in its original condition.

I very much appreciate those who replaced the hook themselves but have no problem mailing replacements if need be.

The lures come with a 4/0 Mustad 9510XXXS stainless steel hook.

Cheers.

Tried "Silvo" on the same spoon......

it's rated to clean Gold......which Brasso isn't.......

Not too bad I guess......but you can still see a little bit of something on there

Apparently real gold is supposed to be untarnishable........unlike brass etc....

I guess goldplating is a different story......anyway it's a layer of one metal over another metal plus a stainless hook plus rings.....so there's no doubt some galvanic reaction going on ........

003.jpg

Great cleaner for silver and gold spoons is Bar Keeper's Friend. Give it a try. Available at home hardware and Reliable Parts.

Back