Nanaimo and area Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by drhook

It's my understanding that they are Harrison River stock but as noted they have used this stain in other rivers such as the Vedder.

Cap uses Harrison brood stock (whites) and as well so do we for the west Van net pen project I am involved in. A big run of whites will be arriving very soon off west van ( heading to cap River ). Its possible that white was going to the cap or our net pen !
Also Squamish ( tenderfoot) has whites as well as Porteau net pens ....but they usually arrive in earlier in the year )
Most of the red spring and summer chinook at Thrasher are Washington state bound....not sure about amount of whites heading to washington??

Nice calm day off Nanaimo today.
No fish on sounder - anywhere.

Did have a great visit from some Orcas, I'd guess upwards of a dozen.
A calf had a look at me from less than 15 feet off starboard and then mom came BETWEEN us and pushed it away. Cool and yikes at once!

Left some metal on the bottom so will be trying to jig it up soon ;-(

Smiley.

I am hoping to head out with my father in law on Sunday for my new boat's maiden voyage...Let me know if anyone has any luck out there or any tips...My first time fishing in the Nanaimo area, however my father in law knows the area well....Thanks

I might get out off Gabriola this weekend too. Are there any prawn spots over there? I usually drop in the vicinity of the Fingers but if I am going to be fishing over by Thrasher it would make sense to drop traps there...

Prawning is way better off Thrasher than it is off the Fingers.
Use the Fingers if you want a handful for dinner....

Do prawns close tomorrow? gonna hit thrasher hard next week--gotta be salmon cause cod and prawns look to be closed from Oct 1 if my info is correct??

thank you for providing the links- put them in my favorites and will try to limit my stupid questions- I am new to this and trying not to be overwhelmed--ythis is a great site and I appreciate the info I have recieved, most of it by lurking daily when possible- mracer

Well we're back on the East Coast finally. Didn't waste any time dumping the tub in as we left Salmon Beach at about 8:30 this morning and headed home for lunch and threw the crab traps in and went down to Brechin boat launch for an afternoon of fun.

We went through literally about 100 undersized and females to get 5 legal dungees in the Nanaimo Estuary.

IMG_0781.jpg

Highlight of the trip was cruising over to Northumberland Channel to kill time and running into these folks..........

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

I couldn't time the shots at all but they were jumping 5 feet clear out of the water. It was very cool[8D].

IMG_0799.jpg

Coming right at us.

IMG_0808.jpg

They were feeding on bait as the sounder was showing bait balls big time.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

After a couple of days re-doing the electrical in the stern (electrical dummy!) I got out yesterday and tried Entrance/Cannery, Fingers/Neck, and the Humps. No concentrations of fish, with singles and the odd double showing occasionally. There was bait showing in a number of places, and some of the balls were huge. There were also baitfish jumping on the surface all over the place, providing a feast for thousands of gulls. I did spot a couple decent size finning on the surface, but too far away to identify. Other than a number of shakers and assorted undersize there wasn't anything to write home about. There are more red jellies than you can shake a stick at, ranging in size all the way up to freaking huge. There were a few boats out but I didn'e see any nets active. the water was very calm most of the day til late afternoon when it got choppy enough to feel more normal to me :D.

Too much water, too little time

Went out for a couple of hours (between Bites) the other day and marked numbers of fish (probable mix of Coho and Chum)inside the green can, but couldn't entice a hit. Fishing companion's bad back ended day early.

Too much water, too little time

We're back on the East side finally. Went for a seafood safari this past Sunday. Planted the crab pots in the Estuary and planted the prawn pots in Northumberland Channel. We headed around Gab to Thrasher for some fishing to kill time. Headed to the basement along the 154' contour line trying for some Pacific Cod and 1/2 hour into it we hooked a spring. At the boat and in the water it measured 20 mm under sized so he was gaff released and went of his merry way. It still put a smile on everyones faces.

We went to pick up the prawn pots and on one of the strings it got really heavy and I mean really heavy with two folks pulling by hand heavy. We got our two traps up and not very good results on the prawn only to find a line rapped around our clip on the last pot. We got the gear into the boat and proceeded to haul up the mystery line. Well we caught 2 nice stackable prawn traps and about 400 feet of nice rope sans float. The top of the line was frayed and looked like either a prop had cut it or it got ripped off by log booms etc.

Scored someone elses misfortune unfortunately and had a great day on the water with mother nature blessing us with very nice conditions.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

quote:Originally posted by Sculpin

We're back on the East side finally. Went for a seafood safari this past Sunday. Planted the crab pots in the Estuary and planted the prawn pots in Northumberland Channel. We headed around Gab to Thrasher for some fishing to kill time. Headed to the basement along the 154' contour line trying for some Pacific Cod and 1/2 hour into it we hooked a spring. At the boat and in the water it measured 20 mm under sized so he was gaff released and went of his merry way. It still put a smile on everyones faces.

We went to pick up the prawn pots and on one of the strings it got really heavy and I mean really heavy with two folks pulling by hand heavy. We got our two traps up and not very good results on the prawn only to find a line rapped around our clip on the last pot. We got the gear into the boat and proceeded to haul up the mystery line. Well we caught 2 nice stackable prawn traps and about 400 feet of nice rope sans float. The top of the line was frayed and looked like either a prop had cut it or it got ripped off by log booms etc.

Scored someone elses misfortune unfortunately and had a great day on the water with mother nature blessing us with very nice conditions.

Bud was fishing the Grande yesterday...quite a nice afternoon on the water he said.

Boxed 1 11 lb Spring at 190 off the Grande and lost another about that size at the boat.

Lots of shakers...getting hit on the way down....

Got out Sunday for a shakedown trip with new boat. Fished the 140 shelf line between Hudson Rock to Neck Point. Was fishing bottom for about 3 hours using glow green flashers and green coyote spoons. Totaled 4 feeders 3 of which were legals but released. Finished day up with hot meal at Dinghy Dock. Nice to see the new ride can catch fish. :)

Good to know. Thanks for the heads report!!! :) :)

good to hear, anyone been prawning in the Nanoose Bay area, I'v heard they're good. Gonna head out, I'll let you know...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back