Nanaimo and area Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made my first winter trip out Friday, beautiful day. Prawned off Neck Point and fished in and around the sewer outfall. Quite a few fish showing with some bait. Various depths, but mostly in the 40 - 80 ft range, got one just shy of legal at 82 on a purple haze flasher with pink & white hootchie on a short leader. Go figure. Prawning was acceptable although I pulled some blanks. Had the crab trap in Departure Bay, 29 in it, but not a keeper. Set outside the bay for the afternoon and did worse. Not one crab. Bummed out as I was counting on some fresh crab, but all in all a great day. Quite a few boats out.

Back out today. Little chilly but managed to hook into a couple. One legal, one borderline. Both released unharmed. Focused on the north side of Hudson Rock curving the 150 point using glow green. I was encouraged by the numbers of juvenile lings in the area even hitting 40 feet off bottom. Give em a few years and we could have a nice supply in the future. It Was a pain trying to navigate through the fleet of one other boat!! Had to keep my head on a swivel! :) :)

I hear you on the traffic, as we seemed to be navigating around each other for a while, Lol. We hit a few smalll lings, a number of undersize springs, and kept one legal (12 and 12 1/2 pounds) each. There were also lots of P-Cod. Everything was on hootchies, nothing on spoons. Water conditions were excellent, wind very light, and the sun even came out a couple of times. Marked a fair amount of bait, and quite a few fish. All hits were from 145 to 160 feet in 200 to 300 feet.

Mi Chica,
What color hootchies were you running, if you don't mind my asking. We tried purple haze, glow white and a green and white but didn't get a sniff. And ya, those P cod were thick at times.

ps: Give me a shout on the radio if we cross paths out there. Trade notes.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry about the delay replying. Glow Spackleback (the old originals) was the only thing working with any degree of consistency at all. We did try a number of spoons and a few other hootchies, with no result.

Beautiful calm day and lots of fun. released a number of juvenile Springs and boxed two decent fish. Lots of P-Cod, kept 6. Prawns are a decent size, not too many females, and we kept our limit. Fishing deeper all day, with my favourite old hootchie the only thing working. All the salmon were fighting way above their size class, making for a lot of fun.

Only managed a short aftnoon out there yesterday. (Sat and all Sunday morning was leg rebuild time. Holly cripes! Seals, bearings, waterpump all shot. This week carb rebuild!)

We only hit a few shakers and p cod. Using spoon and bait. I wanted to try out a new brine recipe. I like it. Keeps the chovies nice and firm.

Saw you out their Mi Chica, was going to swing by and ask how fishing was, but didn't want to crowd you with all those floats in the area.

Rk, you should have swung by, but if you have a radio I monitor 88A. Spoons have not been working in that area the last few weeks. Try the green spackle hootchie 42 inches behind a green glow flasher 150 to 170 feet down.

Last edited by a moderator:
mixed results

yesterday - decent water conditions. Crabs - lots of undersize but only 2 legal size each. Prawns - had to throw back a few hundred, kept our legal limit each. Fish - as bad this day as it was good last Sunday. One juvenile and 2 shakers released. Marked darn all for bait and almost nada for fish, not even p-cod. Very few boats seen, no fish seen taken.

Ok Nanaimo area folks...you're gosh aweful quiet....what's going on? Hookin' anything these days?! Keep this thread a runnin' !

Been thinking about getting out...
Waiting for that magical (tolerable) weather combo of calm wind and over Oc temps!
Looks good right now though.

Out (Neck Point/ Fingers) yesterday. P-Cod plentiful, Springs very slow at the moment. Prawns good size and numbers. Still throwing large numbers back to keep within our limits.

Out (Neck Point/ Fingers) yesterday. P-Cod plentiful, Springs very slow at the moment. Prawns good size and numbers. Still throwing large numbers back to keep within our limits.

What is a p-cod.I have been reading a lot of posts on this thread about catching p-cod.I have fished nanaimo area for a lot of years and don't think I ever caught one.

Pacific Cod is the slender spineless cod with the little single wisker under the chin! 1-6lbs. decent size ones are good eats.

Out sunday. One nice clip popping hit was about it for the afternoon. One other boat in area around Clarke Rock/Hudson Rock had a few brought boatside though.

MiChica...HotRods....heard you fellas on the radio today from the Vancouver side...how did you guys finish up..sounded like you guys were having some action!

prawns good, crabs ok, fishing very slow - one juvenile, 2 shakers, 1 flounder, 1 p-cod - all released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back