Many people release the big halis?

USED to think nah dont keep a big one now gloves are off if a sport doesnt take it a commie will. the amount any of us get out soon enough it will be limited to maybe 1 or 2 times a week and do you think ill throw away a good halibut thats over 100 lbs not on your FRICKEN life. dont you people realize your season is getting shorter and shorter???? ALL one has to do is look at the dam they want to blow up in sooke do you really think DFO is smart???????

Wolf

USED to think nah dont keep a big one now gloves are off if a sport doesnt take it a commie will. the amount any of us get out soon enough it will be limited to maybe 1 or 2 times a week and do you think ill throw away a good halibut thats over 100 lbs not on your FRICKEN life. dont you people realize your season is getting shorter and shorter???? ALL one has to do is look at the dam they want to blow up in sooke do you really think DFO is smart???????

Wolf

and one of the reasons the seasons are getting shorter??? you don't suppose taking out the big breeders has anything to do with this now do you?

Seems to be a mix of anglers who catchn keep verses catchn release those biggies. I personal like to release those fish over 60 lbs. primarily for conservation minded reasons. No offence to those who retain the larger slabs. It's a personal preference thing. For those interested in releasing biggies I would suggest using standard single hooks or with a treble stinger(DEADLY) and a good gaff. I find this setup easier to release than using circle hooks. Even better go barbless. Cheers Jim.

eat popcorn.gif

Want cheese on it?

I catch it...I will kill it if the freezer is empty. The bigger the better when it comse to filling the freezer with Hali as I can only kill 1 a day and only 1 or 2 a year. Salmon though in my case is a different story. Large ones normally get released.

if the season is open and it's legal, the hali is coming for a boat ride.

and one of the reasons the seasons are getting shorter??? you don't suppose taking out the big breeders has anything to do with this now do you?

HAS not a thing to do with it if you knew and were educated on the 88/12 % you would soon realize its all political!!!!!! got absolutly not 1 once of coon shiat towards conservation ......what us as sporties take in big fish doesnt even scratch the surface what commercial takes as soon as you realize that you would understand, hell the bicatch that commies throw back in the water DEAD is more than what we take.....

5 years ago when it was limit of 2 poss of 3 we went over our TAC now the last 3 years with a 1 per and poss of 2 and with a shortened season we seem to still be going over our TAC hhhhhhmmmm 50 % percent reduction in catch and its still going over the dinos dont want and never will want to do there jobs everything is poltical palin and simple they LIE to us use voodoo math ....I personally will never trust them or help them ever again the system is a complete joke.

Mark my words there will be a day and its coming when we wont be able to sport fish, it will be like the east coast commercial fishing only one only has to look and see you cant throw a lobster trap out unless your a COMMIE its going that way. SAD..........

SO you know what guys if you do get that big fish of a lifetime take it as down the road you will never be able to and dont feel bad about doing it!!!! you go fishing for fun etc but putting food on the table for your family is more important....

And ill say sorry now and dont mean to offend anyone but this is really pissing me off as there really seems like nothing we do DFO listens or even wants to just completly frustrated.....

Wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that if I hook into a bigun it's comin' home, without a doubt in my mind. To clarify though, I've only chased them once and didn't hook into any. After (if) I get a bigun, then I'll likely lean the other way. Besides that, ..... what Wolf just said!!!

We don't get out enough to warrant a freezer full of fish so anything we catch will wind up coming home because we won't know when our next chance will be. What I don't understand is ... if there are conservation issues regarding halibut stocks... what gives certain "interest groups" the right to hold derbies for their own profit at the resources expense? You offer a grand prize and everyone and their dog is out there killing everything in sight. DFO allowing this to happen is just plain wrong and is just another black mark to a lonnnng list of poor management practices that I have seen over the years.

those of us south of the border have been dealing with these restrictions for some time now. our local fishing club, meat fishermen to the core, encourages the release of large breeder halibut as a matter of course. those north of the border seem to be just waking up to the fact that you can't decimate the breeding population, of any fish species, without paying the piper. conservation begins and ends with our individual actions, no one has to regulate or impose sanctions, its simply up to each of us to wake up and smell the coffee!

Last edited by a moderator:
conservation begins and ends with our individual actions, no one has to regulate or impose sanctions, its simply up to each of us to wake up and smell the coffee!

VERY WELL SAID.

to each there own, but the "if dont, someone else will" attitude is defintely the wrong IMO.

Couldn't agree more. Many people on this board are understandably very angry (to put it nicely) with the way our fisheries have been mis-managed for decades now but I believe we've got to ask ourselves "if everyone was doing what I'm doing how would that look like going forward?" It's not easy for the many of us who get only a couple days of hali fishing a year but my personal opinion is to release anything over 40ish lbs. a couple 20-40 lbers per season are more than enough fish for my needs (no wife/kids ;)). The larger halis, lings, etc generally are all female breeders and I wish there where restrictions for all (commericial, rec, FN). I wish it was easier to identify female fish of other species so that potential regulations would be easier to implement. Although not run perfectly, the crab fishery with it's "no females, 6.5" minimum" regs is very sustainable relative to many other fisheries and I think those clear reg enable this to happen. If we could apply similar regs to hali, salmon, etc. I think we'd be in better shape.

VERY WELL SAID.

to each there own, but the "if dont, someone else will" attitude is defintely the wrong IMO.

For my personal use i only keep under 50 lbs with the 35 lber my fave for taste and fillet thickness.

As far as guiding clients....it's their call. I give them the info regarding breeding stock and let them make their own decision. I have released 3 or 4 bigger ones almost every year for the last decade.

I wouldn't criticize anyone who kept them because it's legal.

Longlines target everything, so why shouldn't we?

This subject brings to mind something that I have always wondered about. Any time I have ever looked in local grocery stores, fish stores or markets I have never to my knowledge seen any halibut or salmon steaks fillets or chunks or whole fish that one would consider to be from a large fish. What exactly do the commies/processors do with say salmon over 20 or so lbs or halibut over say 70 lbs?

As for the bigger stuff they go to commercial restaurants(fish and chips) and The filet them mostly easier to handle and more money cause there not the high quality..

Back