Looking for participants for UBC Study: Angler opinions on the recreational salmon fishery

Calling all BC anglers…we want to hear from you!

Researchers in the Pacific Salmon Ecology and Conservation Lab at the University of British Columbia want to hear from BC anglers about their
opinions on catch-and-release in the recreational salmon fishery.

The goal of this research is to provide a voice for recreational fishers on current management of recreational fisheries and to help develop a ‘best practices fishing guide’. We are looking for people who currently or have previously recreationally fished for Pacific salmon in the ocean.
All experience levels welcome – new anglers, life-long anglers, or anyone in between!

If you choose to participate in this study, interviews will take approximately 30-60 minutes and can be done over the phone or Zoom.
Your identity will be kept completely confidential.
You will be provided with a $10 Tim Horton’s gift card for your time.

If you are interested in participating or have any questions, please contact me at emma.cooke@ubc.ca or 613-282-8423.

Study Poster v2.jpg

We would like to remind you that if you choose to comment, or like this post, that information will be visible to the public.

A quick googling sheds some light. Looks legit to me? Peer Reviewed studies, photos of people and fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick googling sheds some light. Looks legit to me? Peer Reviewed studies, photos of people and fish.

you are a better Google searcher than I
thx. Any guesses on where this is going to go?

So we're all going to say that one and done is preferred over releasing fish all day right? And that we'd be happy to only retain hatch fish, assuming that they're ALL clipped right? What else can we agree on?
Marked fishery is critical IMO if there’s a real concern for protecting the wild stocks. This is the third year in a row that the number of hatchery coho is significantly lower than the wild fish at least for the Fraser bound stocks. So, not sure what that means in terms of ocean survival rates and viability of implementing the one and done model. I mean, it’s a great thing that the wild stocks are recovering but it also poses a challenge to anglers and fish survival, esp in the salt.

Seals have become a major problem and there’s no effort to control their population. We’ve all seen them mulching on salmon smolts in early spring in the rover’s mouth and the scene makes me nervous about hooking a mature fish and then loosing it to those hungry bas*rds.
we can also agree that the cost of a fishing license is way too low to support the long term resource enhancement projects. I’d be happy to pay more for a license but have some meaningful fisheries in the south coast.
I guess everyone will agree on DFO being useless and counterproductive but that’d require a separate research of its own. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Some facts you all need to be aware of.

There are 28 Chinook stocks in the Southern area.
Of this, 12 Are endangered. 7 are threatened. 5 are data deficient. 2 are special concern.

There are 2 stocks that are not at risk.

Welcome to Steelhead.

So we're all going to say that one and done is preferred over releasing fish all day right? And that we'd be happy to only retain hatch fish, assuming that they're ALL clipped right? What else can we agree on?
No, I can’t agree with one and done. I’ve released fish safely for over 30 years and don’t want to end my day because I caught a fish. I want it to be my choice to retain it or not.

That being said, I 100% believe that all hatchery raised salmon should be clipped and be available for retention

No, I can’t agree with one and done. I’ve released fish safely for over 30 years and don’t want to end my day because I caught a fish. I want it to be my choice to retain it or not.

That being said, I 100% believe that all hatchery raised salmon should be clipped and be available for retention
You'll have to make friends then ;). It'll be tough to get a consensus on this one. I fear as a user group we all need to get on the same page. Great to hear others thoughts.

The issue with 1 and done is how do you enforce it ?

I personally am going out for the enjoyment of catching, not to fill the freezer with salmon. I think most guys would have a hard time shutting it down after landing a 45cm fish. Would 1 and done mean you are obligated to retain legal fish and thus basically shoot a hole in a C&R fishery ?

That being said I 100% agree that all hatch fish should be marked and have the option for retention.

Last edited:
I think "one and done" refers to keeping the one you want, whether it be clipped or not.
Once the angler has that fish in possession it's either catch and release or time to go.

I think "one and done" refers to keeping the one you want, whether it be clipped or not.
Once the angler has that fish in possession it's either catch and release or time to go.
Definitely a lot of versions of one and done. For me it pertains to both hatch/wild as well as no slot. For those that do want to retain one you would have a better chance to get it and go. But once you've kept one maybe you're done for the day. For those that want to catch and release it's business as usual. Pipe dream?

I personally feel that once you have your limit you go in. My idea of C & R is to keep the mortally injured ones regardless of size (as long as they are of legal minimum size)

I hate going in if they are really chomping.....doesn't happen often enough

Last edited:
@cohochinook "What do we want?!!!!"
Rally - "WE! DON"T! KNOW!"
I agree with @Aces . It's about educating all anglers on proper handling and release techniques. We should be able to harvest hatchery chinook in areas where data supports it. The problem is DFO has certain managers that would never have any data that allow it in Southern Vancouver Island and Vancouver April 1 to September 1, despite the data being there. You have a Federal Liberal Government that buys into this approach. Time for fair access for all areas of BC to the public Fishery!

That being said I 100% agree that all hatch fish should be marked and have the option for retention.
That should be the primary focus of our sector in short term.

The one and done model that’s been in place for steelhead fishery on many BC rivers has actually worked. Once you kill a hatch fish, you should pack up and go home. If you don’t want to kill a fish and enjoy the C&R, f you can still fish for the entire day.
But then you need to have access to the marked fish stocks under a clearly defined regulation. Both of these are currently missing in DFO’s plans.

Im not sure how I feel about various one and done scenarios. Every other regulation that fisheries has brought down on us to date has been heavy handed and not particularly fair. For instance, this emergency measure was initially brought in to save the Fraser River Chinook after the Big Bar landslide. As someone pointed out previously, we should be able to retain hatchery marked fish and since there are no hatcheries on the Fraser River, this should be an easy desicion for fisheries. But for some reason, they shut the whole recreational fishery down for what amounts to be the most productive part of the season! I don't get it! I'm signed up for the survey but I'm sceptical. I wonder if fisheries would pay attention to any third party survey anyways!

Back