Looking for participants for UBC Study: Angler opinions on the recreational salmon fishery

Im not sure how I feel about various one and done scenarios. Every other regulation that fisheries has brought down on us to date has been heavy handed and not particularly fair. For instance, this emergency measure was initially brought in to save the Fraser River Chinook after the Big Bar landslide. As someone pointed out previously, we should be able to retain hatchery marked fish and since there are no hatcheries on the Fraser River, this should be an easy desicion for fisheries. But for some reason, they shut the whole recreational fishery down for what amounts to be the most productive part of the season! I don't get it! I'm signed up for the survey but I'm sceptical. I wonder if fisheries would pay attention to any third party survey anyways!
Big Bar was after the first shutdown. It was all about the whales at first.

Sounds like we're overcomplicating things here. This is just a survey to support a research project. This is not going to change DFO's perspective on the current sport fishing regime.

If we want to fish for hatchery marked salmon, we should be trying a different avenue to push that agenda. First, we need DFO to agree to having the Marked Selective fishery as a requirement in their plans. This by itself would require a lot of lobbying at different levels. Don't forget that FNs and NGOs have been openly talking about shutting down the entire sport fishing sector and even the hatchery programs in support of their plans. This minority government has done nothing but to bend to the loudest voice in the room. A simple survey is not going to change anyone's perspective on the key issues here. We need more friends and consultations with other influential groups before we can even have an active and meaningful representation at the table.

Back