Kitchen knife set recommendation

What’s about a knife steel - I think that’s what it’s called - the hardened round bar wirh ridges usually in a knife block. Do
You sharpen or touch up with one?
Yes I do use a steel in the kitchen to help maintain the edge between major sharpenings.

For field use or even quick touch ups in the house you can’t beat one one of these little tools. “IF” you are good at maintaining and holding a consistent angle by hand which most people are not they are also awesome regular sharpeners. But that’s the biggest battle when sharpening a knife is a consistent angle at all times through the whole sharpening sequence.

Last edited:
Shun knives for us as well. Hold an edge for a good while, not that I'm any good at putting one back anyway haha

What’s about a knife steel - I think that’s what it’s called - the hardened round bar wirh ridges usually in a knife block. Do
A steel realigns the "teeth" on a knife. If you look at a knife, scalpel, razor blade under a microscope, they all have teeth. They get out of line from use, pounding a wood cutting board etc, and the knife will feel dull. Using the steel helps to realign the teeth, re-sharpening make it better though.

I’ll say this,, any sharp knife is a good knife and I don’t care how expensive it is when it’s dull it sucks and they all get dull, just some a bit faster than others. Also any knife that holds an edge a long time is a knife that in return is hard to get an edge back on it and the vast majority of people are not able to do it.

Get any decent quality knife from a hardware store or CT and focus on the sharpening system you have and how to use it. I have many knives, my boys and I collect knives, mostly hunting knives but I also have a couple decent quality kitchen knives and my battle has always been keeping them sharp.

I have tried quite a few sharpening systems over the years with varied levels of success, some work great but are hard to use. Others work great but don’t last long, some are plain old hard on knives. Last year I bought the Work Sharp, Ken Onion edition system and couldn’t be happier. Takes a bit to get onto but the edges I am able to get on my knives is absolute perfection. Getting a razor sharp edge on my hunting knives and kitchen blades. It can be hard on belts and a bit of a pain to change belts but the final result is worth it. Recently I found some belts on Amazon that I am excited to try as they look much better than the Work Sharp belts. Also with the Ken Onion edition you are able to choose your edge angle and change it for different knife types and uses.

Again, focus on the sharpening system as much or even more than the name on the knife.

Got a link I need some new belts.

I’ll say this,, any sharp knife is a good knife and I don’t care how expensive it is when it’s dull it sucks and they all get dull, just some a bit faster than others. Also any knife that holds an edge a long time is a knife that in return is hard to get an edge back on it and the vast majority of people are not able to do it.

Get any decent quality knife from a hardware store or CT and focus on the sharpening system you have and how to use it. I have many knives, my boys and I collect knives, mostly hunting knives but I also have a couple decent quality kitchen knives and my battle has always been keeping them sharp.
totally agree with this I have a set of wurstoff knives that cost me well over 400 bucks "thinking" it would be great well guess what it isnt , I probably have over 40 knives and some hold edges better them some , I go thru knives as I butcher game and pigs in winter here and I have to sharpen 1 or 2 times a day and I use the belt method on a sharpener this one here but i see its not there but any one works, you want 800 to 1000 grit or 30 microns etc I can sharpen a knife in about 3 mins this way I have 2 of them one with the beslt then 1 with the leather storping with compound to really make it razor sharp. https://www.amazon.ca/POWERTEC-BD1030-30-Belt-Sander/dp/B01LWQ7UFY

Speaking of sharpeners I do have a chefs choice diamond sharpener the one with the 3 stages even have the receipt for it as I used it maybe 10 times until my buddy showed me the way with the belt system as for me I needed fast thats up for sale thing works great just dont use it.

text me your number if your interested and ill take a photo of machine and receipt 250-704-9653

totally agree with this I have a set of wurstoff knives that cost me well over 400 bucks "thinking" it would be great well guess what it isnt , I probably have over 40 knives and some hold edges better them some , I go thru knives as I butcher game and pigs in winter here and I have to sharpen 1 or 2 times a day and I use the belt method on a sharpener this one here but i see its not there but any one works, you want 800 to 1000 grit or 30 microns etc I can sharpen a knife in about 3 mins this way I have 2 of them one with the beslt then 1 with the leather storping with compound to really make it razor sharp. https://www.amazon.ca/POWERTEC-BD1030-30-Belt-Sander/dp/B01LWQ7UFY

Speaking of sharpeners I do have a chefs choice diamond sharpener the one with the 3 stages even have the receipt for it as I used it maybe 10 times until my buddy showed me the way with the belt system as for me I needed fast thats up for sale thing works great just dont use it.

text me your number if your interested and ill take a photo of machine and receipt 250-704-9653
Does that version of Chef’s Choice do 15 degree edges? I think I saw a test on Americas Test Kitchen on this sharpener.

Does that version of Chef’s Choice do 15 degree edges? I think I saw a test on Americas Test Kitchen on this sharpener.

The newer one does. They have a stage for "asian" knives and standard.

I use mine all the time and sharpen my four Japanese blades as well as the victorinox work horses.

If anyone wants to learn how to sharpen and care for their knives, and they live in the lower mainland, there is a traditional Japanese knife store that offers sharpening workshops for $50.

PASTE;

Workshop “ How to Sharpen your knife!!”​

Are you tired of using dull knife? You want to learn how to sharpen your knife. Why don’t you take a lesson at Santoku Equipment Office? We’ll show you the correct techniques to sharpen your knives.

• $50.00+ HST
  • Every Saturday Morning 10:00~12:00 (2h)
  • By Appointment Only
Before Workshop
Before taking a workshop, please check the availability and make an appointment for the workshop.
Bring your own Not-sharpened knives (2-3knives) and whetstone (medium as #1000 grit).

Cancellation
More than "2 business days" notice: Appointment will be rescheduled or canceled at no charge.
Less than "1 business day" notice: 50% of the service price will be charged.
No-show: 100% of the service price will be charged.
Gift certificates are non-transferable, non-refundable and non-replaceable if lost or stolen.

Last edited:
Great info on knives and sharpening. Looks like I’ll be researching sharpening systems, currently using a wet stone with varying results.

“IF” you are good at maintaining and holding a consistent angle by hand which most people are not they are also awesome regular sharpeners. But that’s the biggest battle when sharpening a knife is a consistent angle at all times through the whole sharpening sequence.
Amen, with a steel, the biggest problem is everyday home chefs try to imitate the pros, flashing it around for extra effect. The angle is constantly changing, screwing up the edge.

I put the tip of my steel on a tea towel on my cutting board, completely vertical. Then I pull the knife downward at what feels like the correct angle, changing sides, so much easier to hold it at a consistent angle this way. Try it.

Text sent...

KO5G718.jpg

Amen, with a steel, the biggest problem is everyday home chefs try to imitate the pros, flashing it around for extra effect. The angle is constantly changing, screwing up the edge.

I put the tip of my steel on a tea towel on my cutting board, completely vertical. Then I pull the knife downward at what feels like the correct angle, changing sides, so much easier to hold it at a consistent angle this way. Try it.
My father in-law was using a steel at Christmas and pulling the knife towards himself. I almost corrected him, but he will figure it out himself eventually. Whatever works eh.

I also have a worksharp belt sharpener that works pretty good. You can get a better edge with a stone but the belt works good enough for me.

As a machinist with more than a working knowledge of metallurgy and knife making in general I appreciate the knowledge base here. I have many knives, most of which were already mentioned and I can hand sharpen a knife better than any machine. But it takes me way too long. I’m old and lazy and to be honest I’m pretty happy with the commercial sharpeners. I can stone that **** to death to get a razors edge but why bother sometimes? I’m not saying I don’t enjoy doing that but sometimes I just don’t have the time.

As a machinist with more than a working knowledge of metallurgy and knife making in general I appreciate the knowledge base here. I have many knives, most of which were already mentioned and I can hand sharpen a knife better than any machine. But it takes me way too long. I’m old and lazy and to be honest I’m pretty happy with the commercial sharpeners. I can stone that **** to death to get a razors edge but why bother sometimes? I’m not saying I don’t enjoy doing that but sometimes I just don’t have the time.

That is my stance too. Knives are tools and if I can get a really good edge back on them in a quick sharpening session with the chefchoice that is good enough for me. I might end up having to replace the knives sooner, but the ones I currently have I have had for about 10 years and do a good sharpening session once every couple months.

That is my stance too. Knives are tools and if I can get a really good edge back on them in a quick sharpening session with the chefchoice that is good enough for me. I might end up having to replace the knives sooner, but the ones I currently have I have had for about 10 years and do a good sharpening session once every couple months.
I find with that thing you can just use the polish setting more often and they stay nice and sharp and it doesn't take more than a minute to tune them up.

I bought a used Chef's Choice from Value Village, must have been a gift as it was brand new, never used, for 29$. However it is the 22.5 degree machine, so I use it on my older knives, not the recent Zwilling block set which are 15 degree knives. What a difference when you go from a 22.5 (or close) knife edge to the 15 degree. Yikes, so bloody sharp it takes getting used to. I will also buy a 15 degree Chef's Choice, they work fine for me, and so quick as mentioned.

Moritaki forge welded santoku and silicon carbide paper to 2000 on a 12" square of 7mm glass and I can shave with it. My wife won't touch it; she's cut slices off the tips of two fingers so far.

Great info on knives and sharpening. Looks like I’ll be researching sharpening systems, currently using a wet stone with varying results.
Save yourself the research and get the Worksharp Ken Onion edition @walleyes mentioned. I've had mine over two years and am super happy with mine. It gets used regularly and I'm still on the original set of belts so have been pretty happy with the belt life. I brought the sharpener to my sister-in-laws place at Christmas to do her drawer full of random knives that were beat to hell (my wife and I were doing most of the cooking and neither of us can stand using dull knives). I thought for sure I would need to open the spare set of belts, but still managed to get them all shaving sharp with the original set. Only downside is now the rest of my in-laws want me to sharpen their knives!

The KO edition is great as it has an adjustable guide for different edge angles, and will go right down to 15-degrees for Japanese steels. German / European kitchen knives use softer steels and shouldn't be sharpened less than 20-degrees. Of course you can sharpen any knife to whatever blade angle you want, but you will be doing it far more often if you try to put a more aggressive angle on a steel that isn't designed for it. Instead of using a steel to touch up the blades, I just do a few passes against the finest belt to touch them up when needed (once month or so) and do a full sharpen a couple times a year.

Worth doing some research to what style knife suits your better. Japanese steels can take a finer edge that lasts as long or longer than a German steel, but come with the tradeoff of being more prone to rust if not dried off after use and are typically more brittle, so not a good fit if you have a maniac in your house that likes to chop hard objects (avocado pits, squash, etc.) or not use a proper cutting board. Japanese style blades also don't have a full bolster which I prefer as it allows you to sharpen the full length of the blade, but you may prefer otherwise.

FWIW, we have a set of Global knives that we got 15 years ago that are as good as new and we do a lot of cooking. The Shun knives others have mentioned are a great choice too if you prefer a Japanese style blade with a more traditional look.

Rolling back around the the OT lol sorry bout the side track.

This is what we run in the kitchen and for butchering. Of course we have an assortment of what ever but these are our main set when it gets serious. We run a few of the small pairing knives they have as well. Very inexpensive, but awesome little pairing knives.

Back