Favourite/Best Fillet Knife

Ghostprof

I've been through a few cheap ones, and hate it when they won't stay sharp. I sharpen after ever session, but still my old Shimano and Berkeley knives don't hold an edge. Ironically my best one is a really cheap one with a plastic handle, but boy it holds an edge OK. Nonetheless, it's time for a new knife, a life-time knife. So: what are your recommendations? I'm willing to blow some cash on this.

I believe you need a few knives. The Victorinox above is great for filleting. Also like a Frost knife with spoon for gutting, detail work and spoon. Then need a cheaper knife to cut through bones and a couple more cheap knives for on board for bait and everything else.
I think you need a knife for each purpose and it is the cutting through bones ect.... that takes the edge off a good knife.

Cheap knives, buy a bunch and garbage when they get dull, good knives and saltwater don’t get along, only knives to keep an edge for a long time are high carbon steel, and rust too easy in salt water environment.i do own a bunch of victorinox knives, but they stay in the kitchen drawers, stainless steel knives just don’t keep an edge very long, they are fairly easy to sharpen but get dull quick

FCF8631F-1A92-47AD-A057-B4EEA5C2AAD4.pngI got this knife last year after recommendations for a fillet knife on a similar thread, best fillet knife I’ve ever owned. Dexter makes a similar style as well, both available at PNT….buy a fillet glove too while your at it

View attachment 81894I got this knife last year after recommendations for a fillet knife on a similar thread, best fillet knife I’ve ever owned. Dexter makes a similar style as well, both available at PNT….buy a fillet glove too while your at it
We used these at the lodge and I own 2 of these now and in my opinion there the only thing you need.

Also, do you guys just cut straight along the spine and through the pin bones, or do you carefully peel the fillet off the ribs?
I cut straight along the spine. Pliers to pull the pin bones later.

I have a 18” or so bubba, a small Peetz fillet knife, and an assortment of cheap ones.

there’s something to be said about buying 10 of the $7 bass pro orange knifes with the spoon in the handle. Use them for two weekends and toss them when they are dull or rusty. Those are great out of the box but don’t last. But hard to beat the price

There was a thread on this a awhile ago and I bought almost every knife on the list some I love some are so so. Victorinox with some skill is a deadly tool for sure.

On a whim I bought one of thease Mustad knives and I love it. Doesn’t rust thinking about salt water, has a great case, keeps an ok edge and it’s reasonably priced. Love it so much I bought one for most of my buddies birthdays.

Can never go wrong with Dexters. I bought high end ones about 10 years ago and keep in Kitchen. I have 3 dexter Gut knives and I just bought Dexter for bones, fillet etc. But I like Frost and Mustad. Just bought a set of 3 Mustad for my buddy and they are sweet. But yes many knives are needed for sure. But if you want to keep them nice and sharp keep them in the kitchen. Lol

I cut straight along the spine. Pliers to pull the pin bones later.

I have a 18” or so bubba, a small Peetz fillet knife, and an assortment of cheap ones.

there’s something to be said about buying 10 of the $7 bass pro orange knifes with the spoon in the handle. Use them for two weekends and toss them when they are dull or rusty. Those are great out of the box but don’t last. But hard to beat the price
Yes sir, I buy them on special under 10$ a piece, got them all over the boat lol, just a cheap owning tool or stone, to give them an edge, butcher at the cleaning table then finish off at home wth a quality knive, for sure there is better knives, but you need to be ocd to take care of them or they crap out almost as fast as the cheappo

Also, do you guys just cut straight along the spine and through the pin bones, or do you carefully peel the fillet off the ribs?
I don't split the belly, I take both sides of the belly off in one cut, then cut each fillet along the spine then any belly bones that are left

Back