Favourite/Best Fillet Knife

Got a cordless filet knife for Christmas. Never used one before so it may be an adventure. Anyone use one regularly?
I have one. I only use it after a big fishing trip. Cleaning multiple fish. It does an awesome job. Especially after the fish has been sitting on ice for a while and is a little harder. It's good for cod also. You might not like it the first fish, takes a little bit to get used to it.

I won this in a golf tournament in the 70ies It’s been a long time friend ever since just yesterday I skinned some salmon for my wife to make salmon Wellington

Attachments

• 2C1A39F0-A62D-4E01-A601-08F999CFDA9F.jpeg
    2C1A39F0-A62D-4E01-A601-08F999CFDA9F.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 130
I won this in a golf tournament in the 70ies It’s been a long time friend ever since just yesterday I skinned some salmon for my wife to make salmon Wellington
Very nice , but it looks like it lives in a plastic box lol, if that thing was living on a boat it would not look like that, unless you are a complete OCD , jokes aside that’s a beauty

When in Bamfield this year @Charleygirl was using a Bubba; bought one at River Sportsman en route to Kyuquot this year and it is a great knife. A bit pricier at around $90 but it performs very well.

I got one of these this winter. Works great on ling and salmon. Edge seems easy to maintain on my diamond stone. Been through a few dozen fish so far this year and still razor sharp.

View attachment 81885
I have the same one, wicked for big springs. For smaller fish I have the 12” meat slicer knife posted above and a 6” boning knife for removing rib bones and cleaning the fillets.

What do you use to scale salmon? My dad used to make a scaler out of old beer bottle caps. Works great but turned into a rusty mess eventually. These days I've been using the back side of a fillet knife which works but takes a bit of time. Any suggestions?

What do you use to scale salmon? My dad used to make a scaler out of old beer bottle caps. Works great but turned into a rusty mess eventually. These days I've been using the back side of a fillet knife which works but takes a bit of time. Any suggestions?
I personally don’t scale my salmon. When I do eat the skin, crisping up the skin on the grill or in a skillet is enough to make the scales edible, in my opinion

A hose or my wife bought me one of these.

1693420370920.png

Either one of these work. On the homemade one just freshwater rinse/clean after use and replace caps as required. Caps are plentiful in some places.🤣

Attachments

• Scaler.jpeg
    Scaler.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 17
Back