Kitchen knife set recommendation

Bennie

Hi, looking for new knives, chef’s knife, chopping knife, bread knife and drawer block.
Any help appreciated.

I still think Henkel are probably best kitchen knives I have. I still have a chefs knife I bought more than 30 years ago and it's held up. You pay more but quality is consistent.

I have an assortment of knives.
1 Victorinox, LadvaR, which is an excellent knife and another Victrinox, not quite as good.
The first knife my Mother bought at a farm auction about 35 years ago.
Would like a good bread knife though

Look for knives with a 15 degree angle, most consumer knives are 22.5 degree. Chef's can get by with 3 knives usually. Zwilling makes a wonderful set of six, five are knives, one scissor plus block. Costco had them on sale recently.

The sets with 14-18 are a waste of money as you usually get 6 steak knives, and the butcher block then becomes huge and takes up counter space.

I have this one: https://www.zwilling.com/ca/henckel...knife-sets_self-sharpening-block-sets#start=1

I use Shun Japanese knives. Really sharp but pretty pricey. As a side note, I read up on knife blocks and the pros don’t recommend them for storing knives, which was a surprise to me.
I think a big thing is to spend more on fewer knives and ones that feel good in your hand, as opposed to large sets.Quality over quantity. Also read up maintenance, some are more labour intensive than others.

I use Shun Japanese knives. Really sharp but pretty pricey. As a side note, I read up on knife blocks and the pros don’t recommend them for storing knives, which was a surprise to me.
I think a big thing is to spend more on fewer knives and ones that feel good in your hand, as opposed to large sets.Quality over quantity. Also read up maintenance, some are more labour intensive than others.
for sure, 15 degree are more work than 22.5 degree, but they are like surgical instruments when sharp.

for sure, 15 degree are more work than 22.5 degree, but they are like surgical instruments when sharp.
Agree and also easy lose that edge with a crappy cutting board or cutting stuff you shouldn’t .

You wouldn't want to know how many I have its kinda of an addiction , henkels were a really great knife but all the others have caught up. I have frost, henkel victorionx ,ccl ,mercer ,dexter, wurstuff I paid a fortune for and my least favorite. I go thru my knives alot as im cutting alot of game and hogs so im sharpening constantly, im buying the cheaper ones thru amazon the mercers hold a good edge and I like the handle for butchering.

For a all around kitchen set look at can tire as the sometimes have great deals

Ill be honest the kurridor from home hardware my gf was given a set and they are remarkably very good hold a edge a long time dont over look them as well I really like them for in the home kitchen

Thanks for your replies. I’ll probably replace a couple of the more crappy ones with better options, don’t think I’ll be looking at complete sets. Have some good paring knives(North Arm, Lee Valley)
However will be some looking

The three critical knives you need are a boning knife, paring knife and chef knife. The latter is the most used, men can generally handle 8", most women find 7" better balanced for them. For my chef knife I like the Santoku pattern, the fluting on the blade helps sliced material fall off the blade and the more rounded tip is useful for spreading.

I've been well served by Henkels and Victorinox, had them 30 years and 25 years respectively. The price represents good value when considering lifespan.

I’ll say this,, any sharp knife is a good knife and I don’t care how expensive it is when it’s dull it sucks and they all get dull, just some a bit faster than others. Also any knife that holds an edge a long time is a knife that in return is hard to get an edge back on it and the vast majority of people are not able to do it.

Get any decent quality knife from a hardware store or CT and focus on the sharpening system you have and how to use it. I have many knives, my boys and I collect knives, mostly hunting knives but I also have a couple decent quality kitchen knives and my battle has always been keeping them sharp.

I have tried quite a few sharpening systems over the years with varied levels of success, some work great but are hard to use. Others work great but don’t last long, some are plain old hard on knives. Last year I bought the Work Sharp, Ken Onion edition system and couldn’t be happier. Takes a bit to get onto but the edges I am able to get on my knives is absolute perfection. Getting a razor sharp edge on my hunting knives and kitchen blades. It can be hard on belts and a bit of a pain to change belts but the final result is worth it. Recently I found some belts on Amazon that I am excited to try as they look much better than the Work Sharp belts. Also with the Ken Onion edition you are able to choose your edge angle and change it for different knife types and uses.

Again, focus on the sharpening system as much or even more than the name on the knife.

Global

Attachments

• B8C07ED7-7A4B-42AF-8829-DEDF15B0826C.jpeg
    B8C07ED7-7A4B-42AF-8829-DEDF15B0826C.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 57
I’ll say this,, any sharp knife is a good knife and I don’t care how expensive it is when it’s dull it sucks and they all get dull, just some a bit faster than others. Also any knife that holds an edge a long time is a knife that in return is hard to get an edge back on it and the vast majority of people are not able to do it.

Get any decent quality knife from a hardware store or CT and focus on the sharpening system you have and how to use it. I have many knives, my boys and I collect knives, mostly hunting knives but I also have a couple decent quality kitchen knives and my battle has always been keeping them sharp.

I have tried quite a few sharpening systems over the years with varied levels of success, some work great but are hard to use. Others work great but don’t last long, some are plain old hard on knives. Last year I bought the Work Sharp, Ken Onion edition system and couldn’t be happier. Takes a bit to get onto but the edges I am able to get on my knives is absolute perfection. Getting a razor sharp edge on my hunting knives and kitchen blades. It can be hard on belts and a bit of a pain to change belts but the final result is worth it. Recently I found some belts on Amazon that I am excited to try as they look much better than the Work Sharp belts. Also with the Ken Onion edition you are able to choose your edge angle and change it for different knife types and uses.

Again, focus on the sharpening system as much or even more than the name on the knife.
What’s about a knife steel - I think that’s what it’s called - the hardened round bar wirh ridges usually in a knife block. Do
You sharpen or touch up with one?

Back