Knife Sharpener

CR Bill

Any recommendations for a good knife sharpener. I’m not great with the whet-stone and the sharpener I bought at Crappy Tire is just that....Crappy! 👎

Used to have a Chefs Choice electric but now have this one with 2 Global knives. Best knives and sharpener I have ever used.

Combines the quality of a whetstone and a 3 stage sharpener.

I just picked up this at Gourmet warehouse the other day as I’ve been trying to figure out whetstones for years. Haven’t tried it out yet and can’t figure out if the guards themselves will eventually wear out. 16 dollars so figured if I’d give it a try. The whetstones cost way more.
IMG_1176.jpeg
In the meantime I’ve been using the Ken Onion work sharp belt sharpener. Bigger investment but can sharpen more than knives like scissors and axes. It’s also easier if you are sharpening a lot of knives. One thing about belt sharpeners is the bevel is rounder into the edge versus flat which makes a stronger durable edge and can be brought back to life quickly with runs on a good steel. The rounder bevel will get very sharp. Sharper than anyone would need but if you are looking for dropping a silk scarf on the edge and it cuts or surgical scalpel sharp a stone is better. I still want to learn the whetstone for my single edged sushi knife and for when I don’t have power and need to sharpen a knife.

Used to have a Chefs Choice electric but now have this one with 2 Global knives. Best knives and sharpener I have ever used.

Combines the quality of a whetstone and a 3 stage sharpener.

Still using Chef's Choice in the kitchen - Quick and easy. For my wood lathe tools, a CBN wheel and low speed grinder are great - using a jig. They will also provide an excellent knife edge.

Lansky knife sharpener. Affordable price, great results. Easy to use. I still think a stone and a strop is worth spending the time to get good at. I would not drag a knife I cared about thru one of those v-notch sharpeners.

I feel your pain! If you're looking for an easy and effective knife sharpener, the Work sharp knife and tool sharpener is a life changer

CR Bill, not sure how much money you want to spend?

I bought this one from Lee Valley Tools five years ago and it is unbelievable.

You can shave with any knife you sharpen on the T-8

Tormek T-8 Sharpening​

they also make one about half that price. can’t find it off hand

My Nieces' Hubby just went out on his own after being the Exec Chef at a local eatery for 10+ yrs. Pleasant chap ,located in Shawinigan Lake. He is also a Rep. for Russel foods , Best Regards
franc'e1.jpgfranc'e2.jpgfranc'e3.jpgfranc'e4.jpg

Last edited:
Back