Island Fires

One of the local ladz running heavy equipment adjacent to the highway just reported "Cathedral Grove is in imminent danger"!

Damn!

reports are this fire was human causes...any confirmation on that?

You just can't be too careful with campfires.
We were camping out of the boat in Head Bay years ago in the rain forest. The fire got into the under bog. It took tons of water over two days to ensure it was out!

I thought it was because they smaller ones had a higher gallon per min at a cheaper cost
The Fire Boss planes are primarily for initial attack. Their small size allows them to use small lakes and bays inaccessible to larger aircraft. If they can find a nearby water source, they can cycle in 7-10 minutes. A flight of four can deliver 70,000-100,000 litres per hour to precisely directed targets.

The CL 215 has double the water capacity of a single Fire Boss, but their larger size means they're less likely to find water sufficiently close to the fire for a fast turnaround.

As the planes get bigger, their agility and versatility are reduced. A big fire in moderate terrain such as the BC central plateau is where the larger hardware comes into play. For killing off the startup fires, helicopters and Fire Boss are the most effective tool at the moment.

I wonder how many electric vehicles will be stranded on that logging road by end of weekend.
Sounds like there's little to no gas or diesel left in Port or Tofino, but there's still electricity. How does that factor into your calculations?

For killing off the startup fires, helicopters and Fire Boss are the most effective tool at the moment.

Sure.
Except that has been a complete and utter FAIL as far as this particular fire goes.
Coulson noted he would have had it extinguished with a singular pass day 1.
Now says it would take a few more.
Beats the hell out of the **** trickle they are dribbling on it now...

Last edited:
The Cowichan Detour will be CLOSED from 1:00pm to 9:00pm tomorrow.

Just announced...

June 8, 2023 – 5:30 PM

Highway 4 – Cameron Lake – Vancouver Island

Highway 4 is CLOSED in the Cameron Lake area (Koen Road to Cathedral Grove) due to wildfire. Damage to the road and instability of the slope above the highway means this closure is likely to last beyond the fire itself.

ALERT – Detour route closure – Friday, 1PM to 9PM

The detour route will not be available on Friday, June 9 starting at 1PM and will remain closed until 9PM. This is to accommodate a vehicle recovery in order to prevent serious environmental impact. We understand the inconvenience this will cause but there are no other viable options.

https://www.tranbc.ca/current-travel-advisories/

Last edited:
Nope.

Originally there was but a solo chopper engaged.
That failed rapidly, so they went to three.
That failed so now at five or so, but the "tankers" they refer to are small float planes which do not dump much of the way in water.

This while Coulson's has mega tankers sitting on the runway right here (their base of operations after all).
They operate in the Yukon, NWT, Alberta, Manitoba, many States and New Zealand.
Not here due to Crispy Crunch attempting to seriously lowball them years ago.
Coulson's called her out on that and she retorted: You will never work in BC again.
Appears to be the case, as even the current NDP government is sticking to that line.

Ridiculous. They could have this blaze out in a matter of a couple hours...

Nog
Thanks for that info.
NDP have been in power 6 years, maybe time to talk to Coulson?

My kid looked into flying gold river to port tomorrow, 1200$$
Gold river to tofino, 750$$

He went a bought a dirt bike , parking his car at horne lake and riding it to cherry creek, hes nuts, like his ol man lol

Well he just got home, not just to cherry crk but all the way home! Lol
rode his dirtbike up and over from horne lake, he got stopped by timberwest at top of hill when crossing over road at powerlines, they asked what he was doing, his reply just out for a rip in the trails, they said lot of people ferrying people on quads and bikes, back and forth, he said well not me, im alone ! Lol
SMH... LOL

The highway is going to be out for a long while.
The boulders & debris falling on it from above has obliterated a fair section.
Reported on Twitter, and confirmed by a couple locals viewing from the other side...

8VwhM3d.jpg

SzhV3Qy.jpg

Vancouver Island wildfire rages on with no timeline to reopen crucial highway​

British Columbia wildfire officials say firefighters are making some progress battling an out-of-control wildfire that has closed Highway 4, the only highway connecting western Vancouver Island with the rest of the province.

HIGHWAY DETOUR​

Highway 4 remains closed to traffic due to damage from fire debris and concerns about slope stability in the rugged terrain next to Cameron Lake.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/...fficials-to-provide-wildfire-update-1.6432990

This is what happens when they try to "manage" a fire with insufficient resources rather than a full blown, all hands on deck attack to put it out!

Major Bumme

Hey Folks - Turns out I owe everyone here a bit of an apology.

I, and many ohers, fell victim to a well played misinformation program.
The picture of the road I posted is apparently rather dated.
The road is in a lot better shape than we were led to believe.
That was confirmed by Ministry of Transport Officials late last night.
Just found out today...

So, I am sorry for passing along what I thought was good intel.
Fingers crossed they get the damn fire out soon and reopen our travel corridor...

Embarrassed Nog

Hey Folks - Turns out I owe everyone here a bit of an apology.

I, and many ohers, fell victim to a well played misinformation program.
The picture of the road I posted is apparently rather dated.
The road is in a lot better shape than we were led to believe.
That was confirmed by Ministry of Transport Officials late last night.
Just found out today...

So, I am sorry for passing along what I thought was good intel.
Fingers crossed they get the damn fire out soon and reopen our travel corridor...

Embarrassed Nog

Yeah saw those pictures. Completely backwards from what media was saying. The boulder still intact and just a few trees. Made it sound like entire road fell into Cameron Lake.

Back