35 years after, by Bob Hooton. A salmon crisis is here!

OldBlackDog

35 Years After
  • “A salmon crisis is no longer impending, it is here”
  • “All five species of salmon showing signs of overfishing but chinook have been reduced to a remnant of their former abundance. Some bios saying the species may be in danger.”
  • The problems are mostly social.
  • Too many boats are chasing too few fish.
  • The sum of the demands placed on our fisheries resource is greater than the capacity of the resource to meet them.
  • There is no doubt that we are overfishing.
  • Technology has been the enemy of fish.
  • A lot can be done about the supply of fish IF we can reduce the fishing pressure.
  • Enhancement will not solve the problem of too much fishing capacity.
  • Enhancement has aggravated the mixed stock problem.
  • Habitat isn’t the primary problem. There is Lots of prime habitat unaffected by logging and hydro but devoid of salmon. Overfishing is not allowing habitats to produce as they can and should.
  • If this resource fails, and that could happen, those social, economic and cultural values that depend on it are doomed as well.
  • “We must reduce harvest, especially for chinook. The future of the resource depends on it. For the chinook salmon, a massive rebuilding program must be done. No one wants a smaller share. In fact, everyone wants a bigger share. We need to drastically reduce fishing pressure on the most endangered stocks and let them rebuild. It is not too late but we must act now.”
These points would have to be considered a well focused snapshot of the contemporary fisheries management arena. The instructive thing about them, though, is they are all quotes, or very nearly so, from an address given to the Vancouver Board of Trade by Department of Fisheries and Oceans’ Regional Director General, Wayne Shinners, 35 years ago. Have a look:

https://open.library.ubc.ca/collections/westland/items/1.0048237

So, how far have we come? Harvest is still the central issue, regardless of which stock or species we care to look at. The mixed stock fisheries issues, many of them aggravated by enhancement, are more pronounced today than at any time in history. The harvesting capacity of all fishing sectors has escalated dramatically, driven by a combination of technology and communication mechanisms. Habitat issues remain but are now more of a concern during the ocean life history of salmon than in fresh water. Protection of habitat is still a far better investment than trying to restore it once compromised. There is more prime salmon rearing habitat in our rivers that is unoccupied and/or unutilized than ever before. Finally, resolution of the social issues has become inversely proportional to the supply of fish.

Here’s a chilling reminder of where we find ourselves today (courtesy Misty MacDuffee, Raincoast Conservation Foundation)

Misty-MacDuffee-Raincoast-Conservation-Jan-2219.png

If Wayne Shinners thought there was a conservation problem for chinook in 1984, what would he have to say today? Only one of 13 Fraser stocks assessed by the most competent and thorough scientists in the business is not at risk! A mere one third of all Fraser sockeye not at risk! The steelhead scene is actually worse than presented. The two populations alluded to here (Thompson and Chilcotin) does not recognize at least three other smaller populations (Nahatlatch, Stein, Bridge) that are already functionally extirpated. The reference to one coho population is somewhat misleading as well in that it likely represents the status of interior Fraser coho in general, rather than a single population. The absence of any reference to pink and chum salmon is not a reflection of their ecological significance, I’m sure. It merely represents the lower conservation profile and social value attached to them for most of the history of the Fraser fisheries.

The Fraser is the most obvious example to put forward as an illustration of where we find ourselves today. One must recognize, however, there are similar patterns evident for Vancouver Island, the central coast and the north coast of BC. The reason they don’t get as much attention is they don’t have the same level of historic records and, even where there may be reasonable records, the level of assessment required to be able to compare past and present has been seriously eroded by budget cuts.

The most obvious 35 year old message from DG Shinners was we needed to reduce harvest. Nothing else has anywhere near the potential to stop the bleeding. This is where we have failed miserably. Of the three sectors involved, only one has been constrained significantly in terms of time on the water. That would be the commercial fishery. But, that doesn’t accommodate the fact the increased efficiency of the fleet more than offsets reduced fishing time. As Shinners pointed out, a small fraction of the fleet could harvest the total allowable catch (TAC) in an equally small fraction of time allotted. The catching efficiency of the recreational fishery has grown just as rapidly as has the commercial fleets’. The difference is, there are no restrictions on the size of the rec fleet, there has never been a TAC and the open seasons are only recently beginning to be constrained. Then we have the First Nations fisheries.

Any hint that a FN fishery might represent a conservation threat is met with immediate accusations of misrepresentation, ignorance, bias or worse. The fact remains that we are miserable failures at conservation if all we accomplish is to take fish from one sector and hand them to another that never stops growing. There is a perception that the FN sector remains at a strong disadvantage relative to either of the other two. Who realizes that a substantial proportion of the commercial sector is comprised of FN licensees and vessel owners? (I’ve asked DFO for the latest figures but they haven’t even acknowledged my message.) Who understands that a FN owned, licensed commercial fishing vessel can be fishing as part of a commercial fishing opening one day and be out on the water with the same vessel and gear the next day if/when DFO authorizes an “economic opportunity fishery” or a “demonstration fishery”? Either of those operate in addition to constitutionally enshrined Food Social and Ceremonial fisheries that are, all too often, best described as a blank cheque. If conservation is the issue, as those other two sectors are told it is when they are ruled off the water, and if the stated priorities of DFO emphasize that conservation takes precedence over all fishing (i.e including FSC fisheries), what is the agenda?

The size of the fish pie is diminishing, precisely as Shinners stated in 1984. What we are doing today is intensifying the same social arguments of his day while making conservation harder than ever. Using fish as the currency of reconciliation makes no sense when the pie has shrunk to the size it has. Sanctioning and even promoting ever increasing mixed stock fishing in rivers after dwindling supplies of potential spawners have been managed to get that far and then authorizing the use of the most destructive fishing methods known to our waters (i.e. gill nets) is a recipe for steadily increasing numbers of stocks being added to the threatened and endangered roster. We can do better. We have to do better.

I’ll conclude with an example of where we find ourselves. Last year all commercial and recreational fisheries with any potential to catch Skeena bound chinook were either seriously constrained (ocean recreational) or closed (commercial fisheries and in-river recreational fishery). Conservation was paramount according to DFO. Long after the fishing season ended, DFO stated the Skeena FNs reported harvesting 8,036 chinook. Rest assured that harvest came via gill nets. In the same correspondence reporting that harvest was the bombshell there was a fixed, non-negotiable, annual allocation of 13,770 chinook to the Skeena FNs. That number is independent of how many chinook may enter the Skeena in any given year. Square that with conservation. For perspective, consider that we’re not talking about Columbia or Fraser wild chinook production here. Skeena chinook abundance is following the same trajectory as those others but its productivity is orders of magnitude lower.

I don’t believe that we’re serious about conservation as long as we continue to have these net fisheries in our oceans and our rivers and I’m sorry but it’s just not a conservation plan it’s a plan to make a few people very wealthy and I don’t think that’s fair to the rest of us . The quota system on the West Coast has been an abject failure it needs to be discontinued completely and a new system put in place .

FN's along the Columbia river worked with all agencies and reduced their fishing and the fisheries have rebounded. They also culled the seals at the mouth and in the Columbia River. One other item, no FF's.

I think we have far larger issues than anything driven by fishing - but do agree unsustainable fisheries can complicate recovery success. Fishery management is complex, complicated by mixed stocks - some of which are stressed, others abundant. From a recreational fisheries standpoint, we need to be more focused on knowing where and when the fishery encounters various stocks, then more effectively plan fisheries that avoid impacts to weak stocks.

Blaming over-fishing as the big problem to be solved is like chasing a shiny penny - a bit captain obvious. Also fails to consider nature's variability and complex inter-dependencies. Plucking one potential causal factor out of the mix is simply over-simplistic and IMO highly unlikely to actually address why some of these issues are being experienced.

There are far deeper and more complex problems likely responsible for driving salmonid declines. For example, changing climate for starters, predation, diseases introduced from salmon farms, ocean ranching dumping unsustainable numbers of pink, chum etc into an already stressed environment. We need to dig in and understand the size at age problem - why have we seen such dramatic declines in Chinook size at age? Fish maturing early, coming back as fecund females as 3 year olds more frequently than ever observed.....Jills and Jacks. We really need to understand what is driving these changes, which will over time shift stock productivity and become a much larger threat to salmonid recovery than anything we can imagine. Is it environmental or is it driven by a genetic response to predation (human and/or natural predation). Who really knows, but we need to find out and then go from there to address the root causes.

Chirping away at what appears to be picking easy low hanging fruit is likely going to doom us to solving nothing but feeling we can wear some badge of honour for attacking the recreational fishery. In the alternative, helping understand the real problems and if there are responsible, sustainable measures the recreational fishery could implement to address those - then act seems to me to be a better way forward.

Meanwhile, efforts to better understand when and when the recreational fishery encounters stocks of concern and then shape fisheries to mitigate those is something we can do now.

Curious which Columbia River stocks have rebounded? And Washington does have fish farms.

Washington State bans fish-farming net pens, citing salmon threat​

California, Oregon and Alaska have already outlawed net-pen aquaculture, and Canada is working on a plan to phase it out of B.C.'s coastal waters by 2025.

Bonneville dam on the lower Columbia 2023 spring chinook counts = 109,966 adult chinook. That is 55% of the predicted return and the spring chinook return is now over as they have moved onto summer run chinook.

I think we have far larger issues than anything driven by fishing - but do agree unsustainable fisheries can complicate recovery success. Fishery management is complex, complicated by mixed stocks - some of which are stressed, others abundant. From a recreational fisheries standpoint, we need to be more focused on knowing where and when the fishery encounters various stocks, then more effectively plan fisheries that avoid impacts to weak stocks.

Blaming over-fishing as the big problem to be solved is like chasing a shiny penny - a bit captain obvious. Also fails to consider nature's variability and complex inter-dependencies. Plucking one potential causal factor out of the mix is simply over-simplistic and IMO highly unlikely to actually address why some of these issues are being experienced.

There are far deeper and more complex problems likely responsible for driving salmonid declines. For example, changing climate for starters, predation, diseases introduced from salmon farms, ocean ranching dumping unsustainable numbers of pink, chum etc into an already stressed environment. We need to dig in and understand the size at age problem - why have we seen such dramatic declines in Chinook size at age? Fish maturing early, coming back as fecund females as 3 year olds more frequently than ever observed.....Jills and Jacks. We really need to understand what is driving these changes, which will over time shift stock productivity and become a much larger threat to salmonid recovery than anything we can imagine. Is it environmental or is it driven by a genetic response to predation (human and/or natural predation). Who really knows, but we need to find out and then go from there to address the root causes.

Chirping away at what appears to be picking easy low hanging fruit is likely going to doom us to solving nothing but feeling we can wear some badge of honour for attacking the recreational fishery. In the alternative, helping understand the real problems and if there are responsible, sustainable measures the recreational fishery could implement to address those - then act seems to me to be a better way forward.

Meanwhile, efforts to better understand when and when the recreational fishery encounters stocks of concern and then shape fisheries to mitigate those is something we can do now.

Well said.

The only user group that has an accurate count of what they catch is the commercial sector. The Sport sector is an extrapolation based on the data they are given. FN is largely fiction, storytelling and BS, very similar to the data DFO gets from the Alaskans.
Hard to manage effectively when you are only guessing on the true harvest rate.

Last edited:
The only user group that has an accurate count of what they catch is the commercial sector. The Sport sector is an extrapolation based on the data they are given. FN is largely fiction, storytelling and BS, very similar to the data DFO gets from the Alaskans.
Hard to manage effectively when you are only guessing on the true harvest rate.
On the freshwater/estuarine side of things - The Fraser is arguably the most complex and challenging area to get good data, IMHO. However, there are hundreds of other watersheds in the Province - and some dozens with their own escapement and monitoring programs in various stages of capacity, funding, complexity and success - including catch monitoring. It would be erroneous to assume the Fraser's issues are the exact same everywhere and that assumption simply demonstrates a lack of experience in those other areas and those other fisheries - despite the furious blog posts & unsupported claims by some inexperienced bloggers.

In the salt chuck - it can be more challenging due to distances and weather issues to patrol - but all bone fide commercial fisheries - including FN fisheries - have monitoring often including dockside monitors (e.g. the Alberni EO fishery) and for some fisheries (e.g. groundfish, prawn and crab) - cameras and AIS. Gear type and bycatch are other variables that are associated with the different fisheries that also need to be described.

Most rec fisheries in comparison often have poor monitoring altho some landing sites in urban areas have dockside monitoring and/or creel programs as well. Some of the more Southern and busy areas that have RCAs are self-enforcing - while on the North and Central Coasts where there is less traffic and people looking - there are unfortunately a number of sport lodges where the guests regularly fish in the adjacent RCAs as yet another example of lack of monitoring and enforcement for the sports fleet in comparison.

So there could be improvements everywhere with all fisheries - but it would be unfair & simply unsupported to cherry pick gaps and blindly extrapolate those to all areas and all management processes & all species - even tho that is often what many ENGOs try to do to all fisheries including the sports fishery, as well. Nothing wrong with challenging those established narratives, neither.

Last edited:
is it tho, id say fraser sockeye and pink data though the PST have accesses and funding to collect data that other areas could only dream of.
Good point WMY - but I was thinking more of catch monitoring verses escapement monitoring responding to OF's post #11. And similar to my above post #13 - all fisheries management processes have both strengths and separate individual issues/problems that are dependent upon many different physical, environmental, political and financial differences between areas and attached management processes. The Fraser has a better supported and historic stock assessment/escapement program than many other watersheds with maybe only the Somass (no pinks tho) and the Skeena in a similar ranking wrt inseason run size estimates affecting/directing weekly fishing effort & TACs.

I stand by my assertions about data collection and its accuracy. All the camera and counting methods you mentioned, for the most part, are conditions the commercial fisheries must abide by that no other user group has to endure. The rec fishery has always been a "best guess" situation but it does have some validity based on the data DFO gets.
I am not buying the koolaid you are selling if you are trying to tell me that all is well with the accuracy of FN data, Fraser river or otherwise.

Thanks for using the word "if" before rephrasing what you thought I might have meant on post #13 and asking for confirmation, OF. If you reread what I posted it isn't what you rephrased but instead summed up at the bottom of that post.

FNs have a combination of FSC and commercial fisheries. They have to follow the same conditions of licence for their commercial fisheries - including the same monitoring & TACs (if they exist) - as all the other non-aboriginal commercial fisheries. The FSC is the one of debate and concern.

And again - experience helps with identifying anyone's cool-aid in that debate (blogger kool aid or otherwise) - and I stand by my brief explanation in post #13 as to the differences between areas/fisheries/gear type/species and the need to specify these differences when identifying problems in the fisheries management processes - including catch monitoring.

Last edited:
The FSC is the one of debate and concern.
Yes it is. Myself and I believe most others agree with FSC for First Nations. The problem, at least in the Lower Fraser is it is not indepandantly monitored and when we nets from one side of the river to the other doing FSC fishery followed by pick up truck sales on the roadways in the Lower Mainland. Unsold Sockeye gets dumped into the bush.

It only takes a few bad apples to have a significant impact. There's responsibilities to be taken by all sectors. Problem is right now there's a drive to have deep divisions and fingerpointing at sport fishing by NGOs such as Raincoast and WatershedWatch. Rather than looking at ways to work jointly to improve salmon populations they use the sport fishing community as a bullseye for sprinting misinformation and incorrect data in the interest of gaining more followers and fundraising.

Back