Island Fires

Why isn’t https://www.coulsonaviationusa.com/
Working on this? Think their 737’s would have this under control in a few hours….. does BC have them working at all?
Coulson seems to favour flashy aircraft over those that actually perform. Mars is a flying museum piece, wonderful to watch and hear, but slow in both travel time and water delivery rate. The full jets like 737 are designed to climb to 30,000 ft and cruise, they're massive fuel gobblers at low altitude and lack maneuverability as well.

There's a reason why regional flights all use turboprop planes like Dash 8 and its variants: better fuel burn in the 10,000 ft altitudes where they spend most of their time. The most useful air tankers have been turboprop for years now, converted midsize passenger aircraft. They can travel quickly to a drop site and perform drop duties in the confined terrain so common in BC. For years the favored platform was Lockheed Electra or its military variant P3 Orion, tough airframe with short field capability that proved itself for firefighting for decades. Those are getting old now though, and therefore more expensive to maintain airworthiness standards.

Believe it or not, the govt does try to save our tax dollars and they are always looking for the best cost per litre of retardant delivered. Dash 8 variants converted to tanker format are the incoming standard for fire duties, lots of airframes around and proven fuel economy in low elevation work. Big jets like 737 and 747 look amazing at work, but they only make sense on huge fires in relatively open terrain. Asking for them is asking the ministry to waste our money.

Coulson seems to favour flashy aircraft over those that actually perform. Mars is a flying museum piece, wonderful to watch and hear, but slow in both travel time and water delivery rate. The full jets like 737 are designed to climb to 30,000 ft and cruise, they're massive fuel gobblers at low altitude and lack maneuverability as well.

There's a reason why regional flights all use turboprop planes like Dash 8 and its variants: better fuel burn in the 10,000 ft altitudes where they spend most of their time. The most useful air tankers have been turboprop for years now, converted midsize passenger aircraft. They can travel quickly to a drop site and perform drop duties in the confined terrain so common in BC. For years the favored platform was Lockheed Electra or its military variant P3 Orion, tough airframe with short field capability that proved itself for firefighting for decades. Those are getting old now though, and therefore more expensive to maintain airworthiness standards.

Believe it or not, the govt does try to save our tax dollars and they are always looking for the best cost per litre of retardant delivered. Dash 8 variants converted to tanker format are the incoming standard for fire duties, lots of airframes around and proven fuel economy in low elevation work. Big jets like 737 and 747 look amazing at work, but they only make sense on huge fires in relatively open terrain. Asking for them is asking the ministry to waste our money.
This. I find it hilarious how many people have this childhood fantasy view of the Martin Mars. They think they are some caped hero fire fighting plane, when really they are just a big, slow, poorly maneuverable aircraft that can land in like 2% of the water sources the smaller, more effective planes the government actually uses can. You'd think all these people were paid off by coulsons PR team or someone.

Steep terrain. You can see that the little sky tractors are doing some tricky flying to hit the fire.

I had a last minute request to go to Ucluelet for Monday to check out a project we are working on, so rather than risk long ferry waits, I rode my motorcycle over early Monday morning and the fire was still way up in the hills, there were 2 choppers working the fire.

When I returned on Tuesday morning the fire was down to the road, I could see the flames through the trees right off the side of the road, the crew closed the road as I was coming through but they waved me through which I was very thankful for.

I was surprised that it got out of control so quickly, hopefully it doesn't get to Cathedral Grove as that would be a shame.

Makes me annoyed when I hear it was probably human caused, I've seen many people over the years leave their fire without extinguishing it fully.

Met another motorcyclist at the ferry lineup and we got chatting, he is a commercial airline pilot and lives at Sproat Lake, I got to learn a lot about the Mars Water Bombers and the history of them and what's happening with them now.

It's a shame they waited until the fire is out of control before they call in for reinforcements, now it's a much bigger problem.

David.

Why isn’t https://www.coulsonaviationusa.com/
Working on this? Think their 737’s would have this under control in a few hours….. does BC have them working at all?
Nope.

Originally there was but a solo chopper engaged.
That failed rapidly, so they went to three.
That failed so now at five or so, but the "tankers" they refer to are small float planes which do not dump much of the way in water.

This while Coulson's has mega tankers sitting on the runway right here (their base of operations after all).
They operate in the Yukon, NWT, Alberta, Manitoba, many States and New Zealand.
Not here due to Crispy Crunch attempting to seriously lowball them years ago.
Coulson's called her out on that and she retorted: You will never work in BC again.
Appears to be the case, as even the current NDP government is sticking to that line.

Ridiculous. They could have this blaze out in a matter of a couple hours...

Nog

I was talking with a nurse on travel assignment in PA last night and she said there is no fuel left in in town.

Not true yet, but headed that way.
Not just tourists, even among the locals the hoarding mentality has set in.
Uber long line-ups as all gas stations yesterday.
And yes, many are now out of fuel.
Some still have a bit, but they adjusted the prices again this am... Not for the better...

Grocery stores are now bracing for the same...

Sad times

I thought it was because they smaller ones had a higher gallon per min at a cheaper cost

Ive heard it said that cigarette butts, campfires, and illegal field burning start 70% of all wildfire in B.C.
What a waste.

Related:

Experts worry about Canadian water bomber expertise with rising demand, aging fleets​

Aviation experts say Canada is losing expertise in the manufacturing of water bombers -- just as demand for them is increasing.

The highway is going to be out for a long while.
The boulders & debris falling on it from above has obliterated a fair section.
Reported on Twitter, and confirmed by a couple locals viewing from the other side...

8VwhM3d.jpg

SzhV3Qy.jpg

Vancouver Island wildfire rages on with no timeline to reopen crucial highway​

British Columbia wildfire officials say firefighters are making some progress battling an out-of-control wildfire that has closed Highway 4, the only highway connecting western Vancouver Island with the rest of the province.

HIGHWAY DETOUR​

Highway 4 remains closed to traffic due to damage from fire debris and concerns about slope stability in the rugged terrain next to Cameron Lake.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/...fficials-to-provide-wildfire-update-1.6432990

This is what happens when they try to "manage" a fire with insufficient resources rather than a full blown, all hands on deck attack to put it out!

Major Bummer!

Last edited:
Back