Island Fires

IronNoggin

Cameron Lake wildfire grows to 109ha, single lane alternating traffic along Hwy. 4

Wind has helped spur substantial growth to the Cameron Bluffs wildfire in the hills above Cameron Lake.'

Discovered Sunday, June 4, the suspected human-caused fire has grown to an estimated 109 hectares as of midday on Tuesday, June 6 with considerable smoke and flame visible.

“Crews are working on this incident and helicopters are bucketing inaccessible areas,” an update from the BC Wildfire Service read. “Airtankers and skimmers are also supporting. No structures are currently threatened.”

Fire operations forced a brief closure of Hwy. 4 near Cameron Lake late Tuesday morning, however it was re-opened after about 45 minutes. The BC Wildfire Service advises travel may be affected “intermittently”, with single lane alternating traffic established through the fire zone early Tuesday afternoon.

https://nanaimonewsnow.com/2023/06/...ely-as-cameron-lake-wildfire-reaches-roadway/

The smoke from this one in and around Port is nauseating...

Three wildfires on Vancouver Island only the beginning of what could come

Currently, there are three wildfires across the entirety of Vancouver Island.

In the northern region of the island, the Newcastle Creek fire near Sayward is finally ‘being held’ despite the fact that it’s grown from 160 to 208 hectares.

Two new wildfires crept up on Vancouver Island over the weekend. One in Nanaimo, just west of their airport which has since been extinguished, and one about six kilometres from Port Alberni in the Cameron Bluffs area.

The Cameron Bluffs blaze is presently labeled as an ‘out of control fire’, according to the BC Wildfire Service.

https://www.victoriabuzz.com/2023/0...island-only-the-beginning-of-what-could-come/

Different now that we dont have the MARS water bomber. Years ago, I watched that massive water tanker extinquish a fire on the bluffs across the lake.

Yes hiway 4 is closed. Lots of debris coming down onto the road. Rocks are hitting the road. Burt out big trees up above it. Will be closed for sometime. I think it will need geological engineering clearance now

Rough terrain up there and it’s like late August dry conditions. I was told the fire is burning 3 feet down into the ground where 8-12 inches is typical. Was caused by campfire

Gonna most likely take few days of good rain to help get a handle on it. Most the heavy lift heli are in Alberta also

Attachments

• C0849B67-C0B9-431F-A739-B0352B4A61D3.jpeg
    C0849B67-C0B9-431F-A739-B0352B4A61D3.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 11509C9F-F9BE-4F8D-977F-2FABA26CF12A.jpeg
    11509C9F-F9BE-4F8D-977F-2FABA26CF12A.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 4B7B4061-A17C-409E-A90B-E2595017DB8D.jpeg
    4B7B4061-A17C-409E-A90B-E2595017DB8D.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 89

It's a Doozy alright.

Looking towards the nearly obscured Arrowsmith Mountain from upper Argyle:

X3eKE5Z.jpg

f921o5w.jpg

And what with Mosaic gating off the only other route out of town (multiple gates that is) we are now basically trapped due to the Highway Shutdown:

‘Pressure on the community’: B.C. mayor concerned over highway closure due to wildfire​

A wildfire burning roughly 10 kilometres east of Port Alberni on Vancouver Island has led to the shutdown of Highway 4.

The Cameron Bluffs wildfire is currently burning out of control and is an estimated 80 hectares.

The shutdown of Highway 4 concerns officials, as it is the only major route connecting Port Alberni with the rest of Vancouver Island, outside of logging roads.

June 6 and most of the Island is extreme. If this was Aug 6 it would be easier to believe. 30 years of working in the bush and I have never seen this. Let’s hope for rain.
I worked the bush for many years. This is a drought but there is a reason we have cacti and Mediterranean plants like Arbutus here on the south east island.
My thought is the increase in human activity and lack of education. I worked for the city of Richmond where lots of foreigners migrate, the amount of garbage can fires, grass and bog fires from cigarette tossing was insane. We need to increase fine or implement fines for smoking in the wilderness. Its out of control. Bring back smokey the bear.

Yes hiway 4 is closed. Lots of debris coming down onto the road. Rocks are hitting the road. Burt out big trees up above it. Will be closed for sometime. I think it will need geological engineering clearance now

Yes, update from my wife is that road is closed and at least one large boulder has come down on the highway. She says likely not getting through today and has checked into Beach Acres Resort.

According to the Bamfield reports there are quite a few of us that were heading up this weekend. Here's hoping for a solution by Friday early am.
Not sure I have a back up plan and jonesing for some fishing.

Yes, update from my wife is that road is closed and at least one large boulder has come down on the highway. She says likely not getting through today and has checked into Beach Acres Resort.
Thanks for live update!

The latest update from Drivebc won't be up until noonish. Debris falling on roadway is causing road closure. Sounds like there likely won't be road opening for few days. Only other option now is to drive through Youbou - talked to few guys who have been driving this route and its in good condition. A long drive however!

The ACRD site says that Ministry of Transportation is working to open an alternative route - my guess is that means negotiation with Mosaic to get the gates opened and some quick work to make the route passable and easy to navigate. Fingers crossed they are able to do something quick. Tried getting to the boat this morning, only to be turned back. Fire was really active, and had crossed over the ridge line starting to burn down hill towards Errington - if it makes it past the small valley above the gravel pit there will be no stopping it from building into a mega fire.

Noon news said they don't see the highway opening in the foreseeable future and also mentioned they were looking at a FSR alternate route.

I have friends arriving at the nanaimo airport for a charter in uki tommarow, Google maps is saying they can go through a Horne lake route. Is that possible or should I send them through the lake cowichan way?

Back