Island Fires

Funny, on Google Maps now it shows a route through Horne Lake when I checked on my phone. :rolleyes:

For those who have driven the route through Cowichan how are the roads once you leave pavement through to Alberni?

My wife is VERY stubborn and wants to get to Tofino. :rolleyes:

Also to add BC Highways have made it official that Cowichan will be the alternate route.

Good luck if you go

Attachments

• Resized_Screenshot_20230607-154730_Messenger.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230607-154730_Messenger.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Resized_Screenshot_20230607-154746_Messenger.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230607-154746_Messenger.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Resized_Screenshot_20230607-154801_Messenger.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230607-154801_Messenger.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 65
What would a float plane cost from Nanaimo/Comox to Port Alberni or Tofino ? There is also an airfield there for wheeled aircraft which are a bit cheaper to charter.
CR Greg

My kid looked into flying gold river to port tomorrow, 1200$$
Gold river to tofino, 750$$

He went a bought a dirt bike , parking his car at horne lake and riding it to cherry creek, hes nuts, like his ol man lol

I have friends arriving at the nanaimo airport for a charter in uki tommarow, Google maps is saying they can go through a Horne lake route. Is that possible or should I send them through the lake cowichan way?
Nope, only emergency vehicles is what I was told today
That’s a pretty narrow rough road, if it gets opened to the general public there will be more fires. Small cars, rough road is a huge mistake

Nope, only emergency vehicles is what I was told today
That’s a pretty narrow rough road, if it gets opened to the general public there will be more fires. Small cars, rough road is a huge mistake

As the only realistic secondary escape route from the West Coast, Mosaic should be mandated to maintain it, and keep it open 24 / 7.
Methinks this little fiasco will be the push that starts efforts towards that end.
I know I will most certainly be getting involved in that push.
Enough of their BS!
Lives could be at risk due to their entirely shoddy behavior!!

As the only realistic secondary escape route from the West Coast, Mosaic should be mandated to maintain it, and keep it open 24 / 7.
Methinks this little fiasco will be the push that starts efforts towards that end.
Enough of their BS!

Can they not open the road to courtenay? Pretty flat and wide road at one time

I have friends arriving at the nanaimo airport for a charter in uki tommarow, Google maps is saying they can go through a Horne lake route. Is that possible or should I send them through the lake cowichan way?
Fly them in or send them home??

Unfortunately humans have a long track record of being stupid. Only takes one cigarette thrown out the window and we have a new fire problem.

Enough of their BS!
The government cannot afford to maintain the roads they have let alone spend billions on a duplicate route. Have you ever driven to tofino and smashed your head on the roof of your one ton 4x4 because the road is so bad?

This is no different than in Northern BC, if there is a fire or a landslide or a bridge washed out, sometimes you have to take a 5 hour detour. such is life.

Why isn’t https://www.coulsonaviationusa.com/
Working on this? Think their 737’s would have this under control in a few hours….. does BC have them working at all?
Yeah I have a little in depth knowledge of how it works there. They are busy trying to get their latest C130H retrofitted with Rads tank system. They lost a plane last year, so imagine it is a race to get that plane replaced. usually those projects are nuts. Its' all hands on deck and it is a complete retrofit.

Coulson have contracts elsewhere in USA, Australia, and Argentina. Pretty sure tanker base with support staff has been disbanded, and to deploy Martin wouldn't be possible anyway without that.

The Martin would require possibly taking key staff out of the tank retrofit, and deploying resources to get Martin in air which would be unlikely. Doubt Britt would bother honestly.

Mars is up for sale I think still.

Last edited:
Back