How do salmon communicate with each other?

bloodbath

I have always wondered, do salmon talk to each other?

Is there a form of communication we do not know about?

Besides their lateral line picking up signals, do they "talk" to each other?

Thoughts?

Good question. I don't think it's really known. Similar to a large flock of birds moving in one synchronous flow.

Dave

Well I know that I dropped two cell phones in the water on two different occasions so I assume they're using those. If I drop another, they can get on the friends and family plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always wondered, do salmon talk to each other?

External fertilization in Chinook Salmon requires precise communication in order to ensure proper timing of gamete release. During the courtship, which can last up to several hours, the male vibrates and crosses in front of the female, while the female is preparing for spawning by digging the redd. The female has been shown to selectively choose larger males, who vibrate more. A few seconds before depositing her eggs, the female will shake quickly next to the male, inducing sperm release (Berejikian, Tezak, and LaRae, 2001)

In the video they start off with the statement that you can hear fish communicating...

In the entire video there isn't one single instance that proves anything at all.....

??????

No offence to you JoeyB......but just wondering why they make that claim.

That was a very interesting article,GLG. Often wondered how the hell they found their way back.Makes perfect sense.

I believe they can communicate but are probably unaware that they are doing so. A few examples,from observation, nothing scientific implied or claimed. Cast a buzz bomb in front of a school of pinks, almost immediately several will dash towards it, if the first one misses another grabs it. It's hooked and within a few seconds all the others have disappeared--cleared out. Is the hooked fish indicating it is in distress, I think so, the other fish sense the danger and disperse quickly from the area. I have seen this reaction many times and not just in salmon. It could be instinctive, I don't know. I have been fishing chum when some resident orcas came through. Emptied out the bay. Did they each sense the arrival or did they did they pass the message on. I have also had triple headers when chum fishing, all on within 10 seconds, boats around me experiencing hookups at the same time. Not much communication there. I think in the fish world its not a matter of "talking" but rather communication based on instinctive reactions.

Back