Aluminum sheet cutting

Max123

I wanted to find out if anyone has any recommendations for a local company (Lower Mainland) that specializes in custom cutting for aluminum sheet/plate. I assume a lot of the guys that cut sheet for the aluminum boat industry also do other work.

I've got a work project for about 100 - 3ft x 10ft screens. The idea is to use sheet aluminum, and then have a custom pattern water jet cut (I would provide the CAD file). The problem with screens that size is they would be fairly wobbly, so potentially adding a 1" bend on all four corners to stiffen them up - or just using heavier ga, or welding a perimeter frame. but would be interested in talking to someone that knows. I'd like to talk to someone that can do as much of the work in-house as possible without subbing it out.

Would also be interested in thoughts on potential paint products. My main experience is with powder coating, which is great... until it isn't. Would like something that we can touch up on site.

Thanks,

Talk to Dave's Custom Metal in Port Coquitlam. Or his son BDR Custom Metal, but I think his is a CNC and I'm not sure if it goes up to 10'. Dave has water jet, laser, etc.

If you don't want powder coating, get a Duranar/Kynar finish from Altech Custom Coaters in Burnaby or Orca Finishings in Pitt Meadows

What type of pattern are you talking about? We have a CNC machine that can handle 10' sheets and a automated bending and sheering machines to do the bending. Accurate Screen have various patterns available in aluminum sheets, might be cheaper then going the CNC route.

Its a perforated screen made up of a custom pattern of 1" and 1/2" circular holes. I'd be open to any method (punched, CNC, water jet, etc).

I'm interested in talking to a manufacturer while the details are still schematic and then adjusting to suit (rather than having my architect fall in love with something that's not feasible).

Fee free to direct message me.

CJM or Brenco. Between the two of them they have CNC laser, water-jet, and plasma cutting tables as well as press brakes and roller forming.

my normal goto was metal mart in langley but they couldn't handle exotic materials so my last job was done by abcnc in burnaby which did well with my 8' x 5' non standard ultrahard material sheet. both use waterjet.
for Al paint try interprotect 2000e from poco marine.

They cut for most of the plate builders on the island. They know their stuff and since they are moving so much metal they get good pricing on material.

CJM Technologies in Delta. They cut out my.boat. I think they cut many boats for many people. They have very large aluminum routers for cutting sheets, as well as bending, fabrication capabilities too.(Adrenaline Marine). They were great to work with. My experience is limited, but I thought they were awesome.

CJM did my boat last year and are well priced. We had a few issues with water staining on some of the sheets but the cutting was great and they fixed the problems.

General advice.

Get an account with Russel Metals or Cascadia, and buy your own material. Most shops make their money from marking up material. Since your using CAD I would just do basic layout to see how many sheets you need. Just give yourself like 1/16" between parts.

Get 3 quotes, and firm lead times. Don't care how good the shop is. The lead times are really what you are concerned with, and if they can deliver. 3ft x 10ft is going suck a bit. Using Qty of 100 4 x 10ft sheets your not going to have great material utilization (fairly poor). Remember also any CNC machine usually will need a perimeter to do outside profile so it may be slightly under 10ft.

You could go with a reduced height of just under 2 1/2 foot size and order qty of 50 5 x 10 sheets ,and have almost now waste. Something to think on.

At 10ft span I would go with a 1/8" 5052 aluminum. You won't need to add any welding, and transporting etc. will be a breeze. Remember any welding or additional CNC bending adds a lot of cost. CNC bending is a bit of pian in butt for low volume.

Generally for outsourced cutting low end is $150.00 on hour all the way to $250.00. Usually at least few hours set-up time on top of cutting time.

Waterjet = slow processing, higher set up charges
Router = slow processing, higher setup charges
Fiber/Co2 Laser = Lightening Fast processing, higher setup charges
Plasma = Fast processing, lower set up charges. Note: Not as ideal for a two sided screen. If the backside isn't critical this is good route.

Finishing I would go with an epoxy undercoating with powdercoat finish. The epoxy is the issue with most railing /outside installations. Many don't pay for it and its a mistake IMHO.

Good luck.

Last edited:
oh and dont forget to cutlist optimze your panel cuts so you dont waste material. if youre using multiple sheets and have predefined cutting areas a good cutlist optimizer can minimize your material loss to < 10%.
this cost me < $500 to cut all included just so you have a ballpark. waterjet with varying pressures.

Attachments

• cutlistoptimizer_2024-02-05_160018.pdf
    146.2 KB · Views: 19
Thanks again, I really appreciate the insights. I'm going to meet with a few guys this week and see where it lands.

Cheers,

oh and dont forget to cutlist optimze your panel cuts so you dont waste material. if youre using multiple sheets and have predefined cutting areas a good cutlist optimizer can minimize your material loss to < 10%.
this cost me < $500 to cut all included just so you have a ballpark. waterjet with varying pressures.

OMG for 50-100 sheet processing holy cow nope. Most won't turn on the machine for $500.00. I know I wouldn't.

Good luck @Max123 hope you get it done, and person to commit.

Last edited:
Back