Books or other resources to identify salmon areas/habitat

the force

Crew Member
This forum is an awesome resource, however can you guys recommend some books or other resources to help learn the type of habitat features to target when fishing new waters for salmon. For example, the Brougtons look amazing, though hundreds of walls, points, shelfs, humps, tidal channels etc… I would like to broaden my knowledge base on identifying fishy areas, and then next, how much time do you spend before moving on? I’m the kind of guy who won’t spend much more than a couple passes unless I am seeing real promising signals on electronics….

I was going to pick up the Charlie White bottom fish book and noticed that he has 2 books specific to salmon; advanced salmon and; where to find salmon. They are old(er), any reviews?

I was going to pick up the Charlie White bottom fish book and noticed that he has 2 books specific to salmon; advanced salmon and; where to find salmon. They are old(er), any reviews?
Great books, they were the bibles before the Science of Salmon Fishing came out. In his book credits, Bill mentions Charlie, or references Charlie. It is dated though as far as hardware and gear. Charlie’s books are old enough though that some of the information is not relevant now, in one instance he talks about using cross-referenced land points to mark where a good fishing area is, where now we just use a fishfinder GPS.

72975DBF-C84D-4F06-BE1E-5121B18B0387.jpeg

Great books, they were the bibles before the Science of Salmon Fishing came out. In his book credits, Bill mentions Charlie, or references Charlie. It is dated though as far as hardware and gear. Charlie’s books are old enough though that some of the information is not relevant now, in one instance he talks about using cross-referenced land points to mark where a good fishing area is, where now we just use a fishfinder GPS.

View attachment 89000

I think lots of fellows still use land references to know they are in the correct general area, I still do for sure. GPS and a sounder just helps to dial things in better.

To the OP, I probably have some Charlie white books you could have if you’re in the Victoria area.

I think lots of fellows still use land references to know they are in the correct general area, I still do for sure. GPS and a sounder just helps to dial things in better.

To the OP, I probably have some Charlie white books you could have if you’re in the Victoria area.
Thanks for the offer Mr Slab! I’m in Kamloops unfortunately. I did find a deal on a set from a used book dealer in Nanoose so am covered aside from the How to Catch Bottomfish one.

Thanks for the offer Mr Slab! I’m in Kamloops unfortunately. I did find a deal on a set from a used book dealer in Nanoose so am covered aside from the How to Catch Bottomfish one.
To anyone following the thread, the Bill Haymond book is excellent. Technical enough but also easy reading, right up my alley. Charlie White books are a bit dated, sure they are entertaining and a few nuggets in there but you’re better off spending the money for current info in the science of salmon fishing.

I was doing summer work for DFO in the early 70s, when Charlie White brought his video setup to Rivers Inlet and worked with the senior biologist to record big Chinook approaching the gear -- he was a legend in those days.

I was doing summer work for DFO in the early 70s, when Charlie White brought his video setup to Rivers Inlet and worked with the senior biologist to record big Chinook approaching the gear -- he was a legend in those days.
Do you know if there is access anywhere to that video?

Back