Help Finding a Grady 282

Yes it does, they pretty much just stretched from the helm forward. I think @Unreel mentioned back when he looked at a 2870 that the actual deck space is absolutely identical to the 2470.
That's a win for me. With the local regulations so tight I could use a better balance between fish/cuddy. Also not ready to give up this style of.boat just yet.

That's a win for me. With the local regulations so tight I could use a better balance between fish/cuddy. Also not ready to give up this style of.boat just yet.
Yea the 2870 has an enclosed standup head, the aft bunk and the v berth, a small stove, fridge, microwave ect, very similar to a 28’ grady. The helm area of the boat is nicer and wider than the 2470, seats are much bigger and are “captain style”, and I believe it has 3” more beam.

No I’m not joking at all, that’s why I offered to take him over both boats and show him the difference with his own eyes and not my keyboard. I never said they aren’t exceptionally seaworthy, because they are. I guess you’re about to get mobbed with your comment about the “best ever” for our waters because the 23’ Hourston fans own that title exclusively (if you didn’t know). And yes many lodges use Grady’s, particularly the 232, and as we all know, they are absolutely **** kicked and waterlogged when they are done. If you go back to what I read, I wasn’t talking about how abused and poorly maintained Grady’s are (that is subject to each owner), I was talking about their lack of refinement/fit and finished compared to pursuit. Yes, any boat can be poorly maintained and there a lot of **** kicked pursuits out there as well, that was not the point I was making. If you want to talk about ride quality and sea worthiness that is another topic in and of itself. Ask your local surveyor what they think, don’t take my word for it.
Some of the bias towards the Gradys is from many that don’t know other boats, and here’s an example. I was walking the docks in Campbell River a couple of years ago and there were a bunch of Americans wanting to go out on a charter. They turned their nose up at all the 28+ aluminum Eagles, Northwest, etc. and would only go out in a Grady because that’s all they knew.

My last boat was a 1998-2470 Pursuit and my present boat is a 2009-208 Grady so I can chime in w/.my 2 cents worth. Not a totally fair comparison w/the 10 year in age difference.The Pursuit had a hard life compared to the Grady.It had lots of spider cracks in the deck,hull was good.I didn't think it rode as well as a friends 2570,which is why I wanted a Pursuit.Fit and finish was OK,newer models are better.Fuel tank was aluminum which would need to be changed out.I really can't complain about much with the Grady other than the side storage panels are plastic,I'd rather they were fiberglass.Not a single spider crack anywhere,but that probably has more to do with how the previous owner treated her.She didn't perform as I'd thought it should, but I've cured that by raising the motor and adding fiberglass wedges to keep the bow down without too much trim.I still think the Pursuit and Grady's are 2 of the best factory production boats out there.There's always something better,but it comes at a price.

My last boat was a 1998-2470 Pursuit and my present boat is a 2009-208 Grady so I can chime in w/.my 2 cents worth. Not a totally fair comparison w/the 10 year in age difference.The Pursuit had a hard life compared to the Grady.It had lots of spider cracks in the deck,hull was good.I didn't think it rode as well as a friends 2570,which is why I wanted a Pursuit.Fit and finish was OK,newer models are better.Fuel tank was aluminum which would need to be changed out.I really can't complain about much with the Grady other than the side storage panels are plastic,I'd rather they were fiberglass.Not a single spider crack anywhere,but that probably has more to do with how the previous owner treated her.She didn't perform as I'd thought it should, but I've cured that by raising the motor and adding fiberglass wedges to keep the bow down without too much trim.I still think the Pursuit and Grady's are 2 of the best factory production boats out there.There's always something better,but it comes at a price.

What do the spider cracks on the deck mean ? Delaminating flooring from wet stringers ?

The 2870 has about 10sqft larger deck than the 2470 so a decent difference. The 2655 Express has about the same size deck as the 24. As for the spider cracks and gel coat cracks, Its fairly common on some older pursuits. I have some on my boat just in random spots and some in other spots with bends of 90 degrees where cracks are common especially if the boats been used alot.

If the Yamahas on a Grady have had the exhaust upgrades and are in good shape, less than 1500 hours everyone values them at between 10-20k, or else every 282, and there at tons for sale, would be priced less. Look for a good hull for sure but I can’t see spending less than 150k for a good 282 trailer, newer engines and electronics after shipping and taxes. You know the one for sale for 130 with suzuki 200’s here in BC and here is a good looking one with low hour 300’s https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2004-grady--white-sailfish-282-8875014/

If the Yamahas on a Grady have had the exhaust upgrades and are in good shape, less than 1500 hours everyone values them at between 10-20k, or else every 282, and there at tons for sale, would be priced less. Look for a good hull for sure but I can’t see spending less than 150k for a good 282 trailer, newer engines and electronics after shipping and taxes. You know the one for sale for 130 with suzuki 200’s here in BC and here is a good looking one with low hour 300’s https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2004-grady--white-sailfish-282-8875014/
I tend to agree on the motors. Tough to know though until you put them on market place. There's not many that have been repowered surprisingly. I enquired about the 04 with the 300's. Nice looking boat and great power. It's got a deal on it.

The one listed for 130 with the 200's has been available for a long time. I'm thinking the light power is a deterent or the boat doesn't show well.

This guy is parked 4 or 5 slips over from me. I need to find a way to blackmail him or something. Lol. I'm leaving a note today to see if he's "considered" selling.

The lay outs on both 2470 and the 2870 are virtually the same as you have a bench seat at the back with fish hold underneath, as well as fresh water sink to the starboard side of it. 2470 8’6 beam, 2870 9’6 beam, that’s the big difference. The 2870 deck size is a different animal, way bigger and easier to fish with more people back there.
The cuddy in the 2870 is a stand up, with a little galley area, depending on years you have a couple of different configurations of storage. Table area turns into sleeping area, and is actually a little small in my opinion. The aft cabin is hard to get into, and you couldn’t be claustrophobic. The head is also stand up with sink and shower option but still tight to use, I’m 5’11 240 lbs and if your doing the business it’s better to keep the door open with a leg out lol. Guests don’t think so!
I’ve had 2 Pursuits, loved them both. I’ve fished out of a ton of Grady’s as well, both of them are virtually the same in seas. The Pursuits fit and finish and helm area for usefulness and display are way better in my opinion.

Last edited:
The lay outs on both 2470 and the 2870 are virtually the same as you have a bench seat at the back with fish hold underneath, as well as fresh water sink to the starboard side of it. 2470 8’6 beam, 2870 9’6 beam, that’s the big difference. The 2870 deck size is a different animal, way bigger and easier to fish with more people back there.
The cuddy in the 2870 is a stand up, with a little galley area, depending on years you have a couple of different configurations of storage. Table area turns into sleeping area, and is actually a little small in my opinion. The aft cabin is hard to get into, and you couldn’t be claustrophobic. The head is also stand up with sink and shower option but still tight to use, I’m 5’11 240 lbs and if your doing the business it’s better to keep the door open with a leg out lol. Guests don’t think so!
I’ve had 2 Pursuits, loved them both. I’ve fished out of a ton of Grady’s as well, both of them are virtually the same in seas. The Pursuits fit and finish and helm area for usefulness and display are way better in my opinion.
The one leg out poop. I have scene this to many times. Man you look good for 240

What about a 285 Conquest?

Nice that it looks like it only has 500 hours on the hull and some recent maintenance. The little coffin berth window is nice.

10k price drop shows motivation to make a deal. If you low ball at least you can find out his bottom line.

That's a beauty. I will add the 285 to the search. That one is starting to get pricey. Still would need a trailer. I can't see them letting it go for much less. Can't hurt to ask though.

Plus they are absolute tanks.
I believe a 285 is a bit hungrier than the 282. There's no chance of seeing close to 2mpgs (you can with a light 2870 and close with a 282). One of my guests brings one up. 250 verados around 1.5mpg (2015 vintage with pilot house) when things are good. Part of that is the 2015ish verados. It'd do better with the current larger displacement 250s and eco enertia.

Last edited:
Back