Help Finding a Grady 282

Going to sea trial this one tomorrow. Done a bunch of research on the motors. I think the hours are fine. Lots of trolling. Hopefully it checks out and a deal can be made.

What a waste of time. Boat was not in good shape. 3 or 4 obvious hull repairs and a bunch more ugly spots. I'm no surveyor, but knocking around a couple of the thru hulls didn't sound good. Owner didnt know when or who did the repairs. Said the gel coat probably came from the factory discolored in spots... Didn't even bother putting it in the water. I'd love to know what that boat goes for in the end. Learned a lot about what can be hidden in pics.

What a waste of time. Boat was not in good shape. 3 or 4 obvious hull repairs and a bunch more ugly spots. I'm no surveyor, but knocking around a couple of the thru hulls didn't sound good. Owner didnt know when or who did the repairs. Said the gel coat probably came from the factory discolored in spots... Didn't even bother putting it in the water. I'd love to know what that boat goes for in the end. Learned a lot about what can be hidden in pics.
Man that’s a long way to go, I drove to Bend, OR after paying for a survey who had missed it had been beached and had exposed fibreglass on the keel. I hope you find a good one soon.

Lots of the old Grady are in bad shape, ask me how I know?? I ran across all over for 2 years looking for one,( budget 50k) but was willing to go a bit higher for the right one, that was in 2015, looked at a handful of gulfstream, and seafarer and 90% where rotted out, the only one that was decent was at Parson in sooke but 2003 yamy 225 made me pass. Florida is the best place IMO to get the hull for cheap, and repower down here once they go boom

Lots of the old Grady are in bad shape, ask me how I know?? I ran across all over for 2 years looking for one,( budget 50k) but was willing to go a bit higher for the right one, that was in 2015, looked at a handful of gulfstream, and seafarer and 90% where rotted out, the only one that was decent was at Parson in sooke but 2003 yamy 225 made me pass. Florida is the best place IMO to get the hull for cheap, and repower down here once they go boom
That's not very encouraging. Lol. I'm starting to to really think the best option is as you mentioned. Find a good hull and plan to repower. Just tough, cause guys over value their corrosion motors.

That's not very encouraging. Lol. I'm starting to to really think the best option is as you mentioned. Find a good hull and plan to repower. Just tough, cause guys over value their corrosion motors.
Oh forgot to mansion, not sure what they have now in stock, but Brant marine in Ladner import a lot of older Grady and refit them, great work but on the higher $ scale. More then I wanted to spend but older hulls gutted out and new everything almost with new power was like 80k for a gulfstream

I don’t want to rain on your parade, but call a few marine surveyors and see what their opinion on Grady’s are.. it won’t be what you think. I’ve had two tell me they wouldn’t use one for free. Take that advice for whatever it’s worth and ask them for yourself. Lots of guys have massive hard-ons for the name “Grady”. I just don’t understand. Every single piece of hardware on those boats is mounted externally and drilled into the structure of the boat. Nightmare to polish/clean/maintain and obvious routes for water ingress. In our Family we have a 28’ Marlin with twin 300 zukes, I’m giving you my honest opinion, they are poorly finished.

I don’t want to rain on your parade, but call a few marine surveyors and see what their opinion on Grady’s are.. it won’t be what you think. I’ve had two tell me they wouldn’t use one for free. Take that advice for whatever it’s worth and ask them for yourself. Lots of guys have massive hard-ons for the name “Grady”. I just don’t understand. Every single piece of hardware on those boats is mounted externally and drilled into the structure of the boat. Nightmare to polish/clean/maintain and obvious routes for water ingress. In our Family we have a 28’ Marlin with twin 300 zukes, I’m giving you my honest opinion, they are poorly finished.
Interesting. I've been happy with the Grady I own. There certainly is the odd thing here and there. Which brand do you prefer in the same class? Whaler, Pursuit?

I like the boat for the mid berth and they handle big water. Don't really want to go to a 30' boat. Also don't like aluminum boats or the fiberglass version seasports.

Interesting. I've been happy with the Grady I own. There certainly is the odd thing here and there. Which brand do you prefer in the same class? Whaler, Pursuit?

I like the boat for the mid berth and they handle big water. Don't really want to go to a 30' boat. Also don't like aluminum boats or the fiberglass version seasports.
Don’t get me wrong, the 28’ Marlin we have has an incredible beam and rides like absolute tank. If you’re looking at it purely from a ride quality and spaciousness throughout and the survey comes back good then fly at it, but my concerns remain from my post prior. I personally have a Pursuit and as I’ve said before on here the fit and finish are not even in the same category as the grady. Everything from pursuit is fabricated and incorporated right from the factory. There is absolutely nothing bolted on through the hull or deck afterwards. The bow rail for example is one piece stainless on the pursuit, the grady is a bunch of pipe and t’s screwed together. Pursuit hardtop supports are streamline and inside the cockpit windows, Grady bolts them on externally. Pursuit horn is fabricated into the hull, grady bolts it under the windshield to the outside of the hull. Same goes for fastening most objects on the grady.. most seem to be installed in an afterthought fashion, Pursuit integrates everything in the original design. My one biggest takeaway is the interior of the pursuit boats have a one piece tub up to top of gunwhale. There are some ride characteristics of my Pursuit that I don’t like and that is a quartering sea is wet as F. The following sea in a grady can be a REAL pucker factor as you very well know. If you want to take a look at my personal boat and the Marlin you’re more than welcome to and I can walk you through them both, I’m not just spewing BS for your enjoyment. I’m located in Nanaimo.

Don’t get me wrong, the 28’ Marlin we have has an incredible beam and rides like absolute tank. If you’re looking at it purely from a ride quality and spaciousness throughout and the survey comes back good then fly at it, but my concerns remain from my post prior. I personally have a Pursuit and as I’ve said before on here the fit and finish are not even in the same category as the grady. Everything from pursuit is fabricated and incorporated right from the factory. There is absolutely nothing bolted on through the hull or deck afterwards. The bow rail for example is one piece stainless on the pursuit, the grady is a bunch of pipe and t’s screwed together. Pursuit hardtop supports are streamline and inside the cockpit windows, Grady bolts them on externally. Pursuit horn is fabricated into the hull, grady bolts it under the windshield to the outside of the hull. Same goes for fastening most objects on the grady.. most seem to be installed in an afterthought fashion, Pursuit integrates everything in the original design. My one biggest takeaway is the interior of the pursuit boats have a one piece tub up to top of gunwhale. There are some ride characteristics of my Pursuit that I don’t like and that is a quartering sea is wet as F. The following sea in a grady can be a REAL pucker factor as you very well know. If you want to take a look at my personal boat and the Marlin you’re more than welcome to and I can walk you through them both, I’m not just spewing BS for your enjoyment. I’m located in Nanaimo.
Now that is a post.

Thanks for all that. Great stuff. The following sea is a thing for sure. I've heard the Gradys fair better in a head on than the pursuit, but that's second hand.

I'll have a look at the pursuits again and see if there is something that makes sense.

Ah, you’re joking right. Grady has won more awards and made more boats than pretty well every other mid size boat manufacturer on earth. Grady’s are probably the best boat for our waters ever produced. Thats why so many lodges use them. . But Grady ……like any boat can be abused/poorly maintained. I’ve seen plenty of beat up Pursuits in my search for a new boat while looking at OS285’s and 3070’s.

What years are good ones for Grady’s? I personally think any pre-2000’s fiberglass boat is a risk especially with any modifications and moored. I think the boat we all want is the “cream puff” owned by an old man, who always took dam good care of her with an open cheque book.
Yes yes yes, all I was saying was lots are rotted, older pursuit too , to get one in great condition without spending too much is hard

Dang, I thought I was going to win the find me a boat contest!

I guess I will keep looking. Post up the updated criteria

Thanks for all that. Great stuff. The following sea is a thing for sure. I've heard the Gradys fair better in a head on than the pursuit, but that's second hand.

I'll have a look at the pursuits again and see if there is something that makes sense.
Ya unfortunately the 2870 doesn’t have much deck space compared to the similar sized Grady’s.. I would look at the 3070, they are pretty sick.

Ah, you’re joking right. Grady has won more awards and made more boats than pretty well every other mid size boat manufacturer on earth. Grady’s are probably the best boat for our waters ever produced. Thats why so many lodges use them. . But Grady ……like any boat can be abused/poorly maintained. I’ve seen plenty of beat up Pursuits in my search for a new boat while looking at OS285’s and 3070’s.
No I’m not joking at all, that’s why I offered to take him over both boats and show him the difference with his own eyes and not my keyboard. I never said they aren’t exceptionally seaworthy, because they are. I guess you’re about to get mobbed with your comment about the “best ever” for our waters because the 23’ Hourston fans own that title exclusively (if you didn’t know). And yes many lodges use Grady’s, particularly the 232, and as we all know, they are absolutely **** kicked and waterlogged when they are done. If you go back to what I read, I wasn’t talking about how abused and poorly maintained Grady’s are (that is subject to each owner), I was talking about their lack of refinement/fit and finished compared to pursuit. Yes, any boat can be poorly maintained and there a lot of **** kicked pursuits out there as well, that was not the point I was making. If you want to talk about ride quality and sea worthiness that is another topic in and of itself. Ask your local surveyor what they think, don’t take my word for it.

Back