Head return info

Bod

Just wondering who else got return info and the results.
Of thirteen heads that I turned in for June/July only four had tags. All USA bound fish. Largest was a 42 pound 6 year old Wild fish from the Similkameen river, caught at Kirby Point in June.

Bod… Nice fish, congratulations, and well done! Where were the others from?

If you want to read up on Similkameen Chinook:
http://www.nwcouncil.org/library/chjo/Appendix%20C.pdf
http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/publications/techmemos/tm22/conclu.htm

Oh, Welcome to the “myth” club! I think you just might have actually caught and verifed yourself one of those “myths.” That would be a Similkameen River (tributary of the Okanogan) Chinook - one of those early migrating summer runs from the Columbia, which I have been assured, don’t come into, or migrate through the Strait of Juan de Fuca! J

Bod… Nice fish, congratulations, and well done! Where were the others from?

If you want to read up on Similkameen Chinook:
http://www.nwcouncil.org/library/chjo/Appendix%20C.pdf
http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/publications/techmemos/tm22/conclu.htm

Oh, Welcome to the “myth” club! I think you just might have actually caught and verifed yourself one of those “myths.” That would be a Similkameen River (tributary of the Okanogan) Chinook - one of those early migrating summer runs from the Columbia, which I have been assured, don’t come into, or migrate through the Strait of Juan de Fuca! J

I didn't think Kirby point was in the Strait of Juan de fuca.Or is it?

And I always thought that Kirby Point is off of Bamfield!!;)

And that must be how the MYTH evolved.

I think you just might have actually caught and verifed yourself one of those “myths.”
images

so they clip and tag wilds? i am confuse,, i thought the clipped were hatchies.... i am gonna start returning all my heads of clipped fish..so clipped but no tags?? still confuse? i caught a 41 (white)clipped at kirby (bamfield LOL) the year before,a 36 red(kirby), clipped, i shoulda... and will in the future..i wanna learn where our fish are coming from...

Two were Puget Sound fish, 1 Grovers Cr Hatchery, Wa. 1 Nisqually Hatchery, Wa. The other was Upper Columbia from Spring Creek. These were only the heads I turned in with my name on them, the rest just went with the creel survey person.
The way I understand the wild fish is that they capture, clip, tag, and release a few wild smolts. Someone can correct me if I may be wrong.

For the sake of getting the science done and finding out quickly what the actual number of early timed Fraser fish we actually take...I've asked Chris Bos to propose an idea to the south coast SFAB. Chris told me it costs about $20 per head to do DNA sampling. This will identify the river of origin as well as a hatchery tag will. (at least verify or discount upper Fraser stock) We caught about 6,500 Chinook last summer in 19/20 so lets say March to mid June would be 3000 Chinook. At $20.00 per head that is $60,000 to sample all of them and get past this hurdle once and for all. There is some risk that we find out the wrong outcome...yes, but do nothing and we know its catch and release until mid-June at best. The deal I want proposed to DFO, let us fish as normal in 2011, mandatory to turn all Chinook heads in, we pay for the DNA. Give us to March 1st to raise the money. I'll gladly donate $500 to the cause if it means my season is going to be normal. I'll help pay for the science and make it back and more by being able to sell a normal charter trip. I know my phone will ring more if its not catch and release. How many more of you out there would be willing to chip in with this deal on the table?

I sent in 13 heads last summer 5 from bamfield 3 from renfrew and five from nanaimo area only two had tags both were caught in renfrew one was july 12 from shuswap river and the other was caught augest 26 and it was from soos creek hatchery wa.

I sent in all my tagged fish last summer, so far 3 results back..all no pin, so no data. Another reason to buck up and DNA them all.

Those are pretty good tag ratios you guys had. I think I submitted at least 30 heads over the last 3 years and had no tag. I did have a few during the years before that and most came from Pudget Sound hatcheries and I believe one only from a lower Fraser.

Profisher, I'd be happy to throw in $100 for the cause if it's a go.

I'm good for $100 - to be resolved first would be how to educate EVERYONE that's fishing that they need to deposit all heads though. Getting the word out is another headache. Would require advertisement, discussions with all managers of marinas to stay on top of incoming fisherman, and clear marked signs at ALL launch locations. Not big $$, but lots of work.

For sure I would pay out say $100 to ensure that the appropriate organizations had the money to track the fish. It would be really interesting to know where the fish that you catch came from to know where it was going and how far from home it was when it was caught. (kind of like a message in a bottle). Communication would be key, to inform everyone that it is imperative that ALL salmon heads be turned in at the boat launches, marinas, sports stores, biological stations etc,,,,. One other thing is that the commercial guys should also be required to pay and turn in heads too, so that more info can be collected on the fish that are caught in any given year. Also this way we would have a better understanding of the real ratios of fish caught by Commercial and Sport Fishermen. I think that this is a great idea.

Just to be clear..this idea is for all heads (Chinook) to be a mandatory turn in for DNA sampling ,during this program. (Not just hatchery marked.) There are enough guides working locally if each contributed the fees from a single charter over half of the money needed would be collected. The balance is up to the average sport fishing guys and any other industry business that stand to benefit.

I agree, it should be all heads or don't bother doing it at all, and yes pick a species say Chinook, that you really want accurate info from and make it mandatory to turn in heads from that species. There may be many ways to figure it out as to how much each pays. Say the professionals (guides, Commercial, FN food harvests) pay a larger fee, because they are incurring more costs for the DNA testing, and they are making money from fishing. That part should be easy enough to sort out. The main part is that EVERYONE should have to contribute so that it collectively reduces the individual costs per license holder.

My idea is to address a specific data shortage in area 19/20 which is resulted in us being penalized and only being able to keep hatchery marked Chinook from March to mid-June in 2010. The same is likely again in 2011. If others want to expand this to the entire coast even better. It will require a lot more money to do obviously. $20 a pop

Ironically the whole issue started when DFO asked the lower Fraser bands to reduce their take of early timed Chinook, as their science proves they are responsible for the largest take. They don't believe DFO and demanded that we need to stop fishing as they think we catch them all in area 19/20. DFO told them not so, but that went no where. Then the upper Fraser bands (who are frustrated by a lack of fish reaching the spawning grounds) demanded the resignation of the fisheries minister if she didn't close down the sport fishery in 19/20. DFO imposed the hatchery only fishery which got some of the heat of their backs. This DNA program would hopefully prove DFO's science is accurate and get the FN guys off our backs once and for all.

Of coarse the science could prove most are US bound fish and we could have someone else jump on our backs. LOL There is some risk here, but I think we have to know if we really want to save fish.

Back