May marked fishery

Status
Not open for further replies.

islandboy

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0426-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook - Portions of Areas 17 to 19 - Management Measures - Effective May 3, 2023

As part of the longer-term work under the Pacific Salmon Strategy Initiative (PSSI) to explore mass marking (MM) and mark-selective fisheries (MSFs) as part of an integrated management approach, the Department is announcing new pilot recreational MSFs for 2023. These openings are located away from primary migratory routes or during times when there is a low prevalence of Fraser River Chinook stocks of concern and increased abundance of other stocks including hatchery-marked Chinook. In addition to creel surveys (dockside interviews and overflight effort counts) and the iREC reporting program that will be conducted, these pilot MSF openings will be subject to enhanced monitoring including biological sampling and independent verification of at-sea releases. These MSFs will also be subject to evaluation of available post-season information and potential adjustments may be made prior to reopening in Spring 2024.

The new pilot MSF are as follows:

Victoria:

Effective 00:01 hours May 3, 2023, until 23:59 hours May 31,2023, the daily limit for Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only, in the following waters:

Subareas 19-1, 19-3, 19-4, 19-5 and 19-6.

Reminder: Unmarked Chinook may not be retained. The Chinook minimum size in Subareas 19-1, 19-3, and 19-4 is 45 cm, and the minimum size in Subareas 19-5 and 19-6 is 62 cm.

Gulf Islands and Saanich Inlet:

Effective 00:01 hours May 3, 2023, until 23:59 hours May 31, the daily limit for Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only, in the following waters:

Subareas 17-6, 17-9, 18-6, 18-7, 18-10, 19-7, 19-8.

Effective 00:01 hours June 1, 2023, until 23:59 hours July 14, the daily limit for Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only in the following waters:

Subareas 17-6 and 17-9.

Effective 00:01 hours June 1, 2023, until 23:59 hours July 31, the daily limit for Chinook is one (1) Chinook per day, hatchery marked only, in the following waters:

Subareas 18-7, 19-7, 19-8, and

That portion of Subarea 18-6 west of a line from Isabella Point on Saltspring Island (48 degrees 44.0239’ N, 123 degrees 25.5622’W) to a point on Piers Island (48 degrees 48.4586’N, 123 degrees 25.3965’W) then to a point on the Saanich Peninsula near 48 degrees 41.8550’N, 123 degrees 26.1056’W.

Reminder: Unmarked Chinook cannot be retained. The Chinook minimum size in Areas 17 and 18, and Subareas 19-7 and 19-8 is 62 cm.

Variation Orders: 2023-RFQ-171; 2023-RSL-063

Coast-wide Recreational Fisheries:

For the recreational fishery, the annual aggregate limit for Chinook salmon is ten (10) coast-wide in all tidal waters.

Variation Order: 2023-RFQ-009

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia.

The term "hatchery marked" or "marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin. This is also referred to as an adipose fin-clipped (AFC) fish. Unmarked fish still have an adipose fin present.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labeling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped Chinook and Coho Salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program toll free at 1-866-483-9994 for further information.

Rockfish Conservation Areas (RCAs) are currently in effect and are closed to all fin-fishing. Descriptions of RCAs, other closures such as finfish closed areas and salmon non-retention areas, and other recreational fishing information, can be found on the Internet at: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/restricted-restreint-eng.html#rca

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at 1-800-465-4336 or by email at DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at

1-866-431-FISH (3474).

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the Pacific Salmon Resource Management Team DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca, the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office, or visit our website at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0426
Sent May 2, 2023 at 16:54
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription

If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: DFO.PACOpsCentre-CentredesOpsPAC.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Was this opening expected? Wasn't on my radar. Seems like a nice bonus fishery for some southern island folks, and Sooke folks already that small section in Becher.

A big thanks to all involved in making this happen !!

Hopeful it’s a start to having more areas or longer openings for MSF

Please also contribute all marked fish heads, I am a firm believer that this data may one day be received in a manner by DFO that can help the sportfishimg community

So many Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make this happen.
When I read about it I thought I had been dreaming!
Time to get my boat out of moth balls BTW there’s lots of room on the flats.
I noticed yesterday many cars parked in the trailer parking at Cattle Point that might be a problem to be reported to? Oak bay police?

No if read carefully, it looks like all listed subareas open May 3... the June thing just drops out a couple subareas in 19... these things are so brutal to read/interpret
Correct, however the staggered dates are still important to know if you are going to be fishing, as there are some changes on June 1st. In all the excitement, I hope folks still read all the way through.

You said staggered starting dates but you meant staggered ending dates… my name is Aaron but I identify as a “Karen” apparently ;)
Not at all, we are in this together, and I appreciate you clarifying, if not for me, maybe for others that only saw the May 1 date and continued fishing in the areas that close on June 1.

trying to interpret the regs does area 28-6 open for springs for the inside of point atkinson to dundarve wharf i know after august 13 28-9 opens for springs

trying to interpret the regs does area 28-6 open for springs for the inside of point atkinson to dundarve wharf i know after august 13 28-9 opens for springs
Not an expert but I interpret 28-6 to be open for 1 slot fish marked or unmarked a day after August 1st. I can’t figure out if you can get 1 a day at Porteau and Defence after August 1st as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back