Salmon Head Recovery Program - Post results here

Tips Up

Just received another email from DFO on hatchery head we deposited this summer.
I thought I would start a thread where you can post up the results of your heads submitted.

This one was caught 2021-08-26 at Otter Point.
No tag

CWT info from other salmon caught same day and area
4 year old Chinook from Stamp River.

Post em up.
Hope to see some Sooke Net Pen results.

Three back so far- all caught Green Can Area- 2 with tags - 1 three yr old Chilliwack River, 1 Puget Sound, 1 no tag.

2021-08-01 Beechy Head- tagged 3 year old fish released in chambers creek Washington.

2021-08-09 Trap shack- tagged 4 year old Robertson creek stock.

20201-09-02 Vic breakwater- 1 no tag, 1 tagged 4 year old from Stamp river.

2 back so far, both from Nootka… 1 coho and 1 spring caught at the end of June…Apparently neither one of them had a CWT…Nobody can collect much important data from those results. Too bad…

Got one back from mid-July in Becher. No tag. A nearby fish was from Chilliwack. That was the only hatchery I got from the kayak this summer.

That just shows you how good the Robertson return was seeing a good amount in southern JDF. Oh wait they have a hatchery..... :)

Fish caught Oct 8 2021 off Beechy Head. All were Coho yet ID said Chinook?
also they say the fish submitted had no tags? Aren’t clipped and tagged the same? I’m confused and wondering why I bothered. Nothing makes sense.

Attachments

• B1527A7A-A1EF-465C-8C1D-8196FE422633.png
    B1527A7A-A1EF-465C-8C1D-8196FE422633.png
    461.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 5E3638AE-2B01-49BE-A9C2-8757A977DECB.jpeg
    5E3638AE-2B01-49BE-A9C2-8757A977DECB.jpeg
    496.4 KB · Views: 92
also they say the fish submitted had no tags? Aren’t clipped and tagged the same? I’m confused and wondering why I bothered. Nothing makes sense.

no, Coho in canada in most cased that are clipped do not contain coded wire taggs. Just like clipped chinook in the US most are not tagged.

I thought they would tell you the hatchery they are from, reading the ear bone.

only a proportion of the released hatchery fish are CWT tagged, usually. And unlike Alaska, BC hatcheries do not do thermal marking on otoliths.

Having said that - there are still genetic "tags" - and the most promising and newer methodology is PBT or Parental-Based Tagging. Unfortunately, it costs a little bit of money to do this - and most hatcheries are hard-pressed to do even the minimum nowadays.

only a proportion of the released hatchery fish are CWT tagged, usually. And unlike Alaska, BC hatcheries do not do thermal marking on otoliths.

Having said that - there are still genetic "tags" - and the most promising and newer methodology is PBT or Parental-Based Tagging. Unfortunately, it costs a little bit of money to do this - and most hatcheries are hard-pressed to do even the minimum nowadays.
???? I've been told by hatchery staff that they definitely do thermal marking.

July 17, Area 14 two heads submitted from springs caught by my son's and I. One came back as Chilliwack River and Burrard Net Pen for the other.

Received results back for three fish caught in late July.
2021-07-28 French Creek - 1 tagged Chinook from Chilliwack River hatchery
2021-07-29 French Creek - no tag
2021-07-30 French Creek - no tag

N

Hi Volunteering for Esquimalt Anglers for our netpens and Sooke at Nitinat Hatchery we always
do Otoliths every fall required by DFO ITS A MUST ( 1400 different sizes fish for Nitinat and Sarita Rivers
And the Nitinat River with average returns of 10,000 Chinook for Nitinat and 1500 from Sarit’s

Penticton sockeye hatchery fry are all thermally marked.

Thanks SD & SK - I stand corrected. So is that a 100% or partial outplant otolith mark program?

From Aug. 1st to Oct 4, I fished on 4 different boats with numerous people and I kept records of how many Springs where landed with the people on board. With using my DFO guide number, I’m also able to track all the heads submitted by the people who were fishing with us and submitted their fish head.. I fish the Sooke area..

In total there were 58 springs landed, released 5 over size and 7 of the 58 springs were clipped. This year the over size fish we released were not that big and the biggest maybe 27lb. At the dock, I only heard of 2 fish being caught over 30lb. and surprisingly one in late Sept and one in Oct. The Sept. spring was dark and the Oct. spring was chrome. ????

to clarify: I never caught 58 springs, the people on the boats I was on did.

I received my DFO head recover report today and all 7 spring head submitted had no tags. But everyone of those people who submitted a head will be receiving their DFO head recover report and it will bring back those great memories of landing that fish and the wonderfully salmon dinner.

This is the first year I’ve never had a fish head with a tag.

Back