Halibut closing after long weekend?

rln

got this on Friday
Get out while you can.
Subject: Recreational Halibut Up-Date

Good Afternoon,
Today at 2:00 pm there was a DFO/SFAB In-season Halibut Working Group call regarding the 2011 recreational halibut catch estimate in relation to the 2011 recreational TAC.
The recreational TAC for 2011 is 947,760 (net wt lbs).
The estimated March 1st to July 31st recreational catch is 660,419 (net wt lbs).
The projected catch remaining (net wt lbs) is 287,341.
As you will see in the attachment, the August 2010 catch was 383,425 (net wt lbs) - as we are tracking similar to last year for June & July, the expected Aug 2011 catch will be in this neighbourhood putting the recreational sector potentially over it's TAC by the end of August.
<<2009-2011 Inseason Montly Catch Estimates - Aug 17 2011 Draft.pdf>>
This information is being put forward to Senior DFO Managers for a decision.
There will be another DFO/SFAB In-season Halibut Working Group call to relay this decision (date to be determined).
It has been stated that there will be two weeks notice provided before the decision takes effect.
I will up-date you again as soon as I know more.
Thanks,
K.
Kristen Wong
Resource Manager Central Coast / Gestionnaire de Ressources, Centrale de la Côte
Fisheries & Oceans Canada / Pêches et Océans Canada
Bella Coola, BC V0T 1C0 / Bella Coola (C.-B.) V0T 1C0
Phone/Téléphone: (250) 799-5620 / Fax/Télécopieur: (250) 799-5540

Yup, the end is near........

them 1st and THEN the Tunas!

how far do you have to go for Tuna ? how long does it take to get out there ? is it an easy fish to catch ? how does it fight ? coho / spring .... any one have pictures of there Tuna catch ? is there a limit on Tuna?

Last edited by a moderator:
I still can't figure out how they know what the rec sector catch is ?
I haven't seen a creel census person all summer.
are the lodges the only real indicator of catch limits because i'm sure
they haven't taken a million pounds of halibut.
The few we've scratched up this year sure haven't put a dent in the number.

Number Magic

How do they arrive at their numbers? Simple... voodoo. 2x2 = 100,000

The creel people were on the docks in Ukee almost daily for a while, but I don't know how the year has been for hali in general.

As for our boat, hali's have been cooperating, but for some reason, the creel census people were never on the docks when we had a hali in the boat, but that is what the voodoo is for, I suppose.

It hasn't changed because that **** doesn't work!! Its been proven. Till the poeple who's lives depend on it (guides, lodges etc) in the sport sector take these dicks to court and sue it will never end.

Lets do some voodoo math of our own.
How about we do a small survey here of our own? We will go by the number of our own members divided into the number of sporties out there.
Anyone who caught hali this year who is willing to reply to this thread (do not need weights or numbers as DFO does not use either)
Then we will inject a fudge factor and make our own estimate.

My boat has taken eight, a definite increase for us, and we have never targeted hali less than this year, which is odd.

Fished Ukee 7 days on 3 trips. Dragged bottom one day in June for 3 chickens/3 guys. Targeted them for one hour on last trip for 0. Too much fun catching springs to bob around for the skipper.

Enniberg, sending pm shortly.

A lot are going to die very soon

They have never been more thick all year than they are right now

17 hali's for Spring Fever-total 6 guys fishing-none of these was targetted

Wait for it........... 2! Another sleepless night due to my conscience keeping me up because of us sporties severly impacting the hali stocks.

Great feedback! I will do a summary tommorrow night or Wednesday morning. I need some time to get a number of criteria values.
I will post an estimate and how the values are arrived at.

Back