Int'l Pacific Halibut Commission Annual Meeting - Victoria, Mon thru Fri

Based on DFO's same model that thinks 50% of harvested fish are slot fish, but of course that's not why there forecast was off by so much last year. Nope, had to be a hypothetical 5% increase in fish size (IPHC data shows commercial 2b fish size increase was approx 2% last year, not 5%) and hypothetical increased effort (why measure this when collecting data, better to just use it to make excuses for your failed model). Using this same model, which grossly overestimates how many slot fish are harvested as a % of total harvest is going to result in the TAC being reached earlier than forecast again this year. I'll be very, very surprised if we don't hear the TAC is reached prior to Sep 1st again this year. If that doesn't happen, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong and maybe the new model is working. If I'm right, I can only imagine the excuses made for the model again next year.

In any case, good luck to everyone targetting halibut this year. Hope everyone gets good weather, calm seas and favourable tides (and some tasty white flesh!!).

Ukee

max of 60lbs? thats nuts. ALLOCATION IS THE PROBLEM!!!!! there are some areas on our coast that it would be hard to catch hali under 60lbs!!!

For everyone concerned. This whole halibut issue can be atritbutted to the Rec share of the TAC. PERIOD! My support is behind the SFAB and there efforts to have a season that is best for everyone. We all want something better for sure, but no matter what the outcome it will not please everyone. Hell, it won't please anyone, but we have do deal with the facts and what TAC we have to work with.
Come up with a way to gain a Larger share of the TAC and you are my hero. Simple way to solve all the problems.

Not complaining at all. Just wondering how exactly one determines if the unhappy hali on my line near the surface is a 59lb fish or a 61 lb fish. Anyone have any insight on how one can do this in real life?

Measure it.

Not complaining at all. Just wondering how exactly one determines if the unhappy hali on my line near the surface is a 59lb fish or a 61 lb fish. Anyone have any insight on how one can do this in real life?

Measure it.
Hali that size are not easily measured in my experience. When I've had a few that size out of season in WA state, I was afraid to even get my hand any where near the mouth (which had a large treble hook hanging out). One head shake and you're impaled with the hook. I just cut the line close to the jig. I can't imagine trying to measure such a fish.

Tie some cord on the end of a stick that is the correct length (126cm).
Put the stick out from the head and let the cord run the length of the fish to see if it's in the slot.

Back