Experimental Halibut Quota Fishery

Here's what I sent:

Neil,

I understand you are looking for individual angler input regarding the proposed expansion of this program in 2013.

As a recreational angler and guide, I would simply state that this concept has been demonstrated to be a complete failure. Only 220 pounds were actually transferred using this program. I understand that just under 5,000 pounds were purchased overall, but most was transferred back to the commercial sector. I strongly suspect this was simply commercial fishers arranging for others to purchase quota to try to bolster the appearance of success, and following the season a transfer back.

From where I sit, this program is simply a non-starter both as a recreational angler and a guide. The pure economics of purchasing quota and then either absorbing that cost in the daily charter rate or passing that along as a surcharge to guests is laughable. Few guests would pay a surcharge of $5 per pound. Think of the optics of trying to market that!

I also read with considerable interest the attempts to rationalize the cost/benefits of offering a program that on any reasonable empirical analysis would call into question the cost to DFO alone for managing a program that resulted in such little objective evidence of quota transference (250 pounds).

I also call into question proceeding with this program in light of the potential ramifications of the Malcolm case. Wouldn't it be more prudent to delay implementation pending judgment in this case?

From what i understand DFO is not spending dime on this program as PHMA is fitting the bill.I can't believe how missinformed most people are on this forum but i guess that is what the people at the top want.Maybe we should all hold our breath untill our faces go red and DFO will give us everything we want.

Just letting everyone know that as of Nov 6, 2012 the total harvest under the "experimental" license is now 814 lbs. Last year the total pounds harvested was 222 lbs. The number of licenses actually issued are now 59 with 15 of these issued the date the closure for Sept 9 was announced. Last year 60 licenses were issued; of these 16 reissued which means 44 of the persons or entities last year that were issued likely realized it was not worth the bother to reissue licenses again for this year. There is hope!!!

From what i understand DFO is not spending dime on this program as PHMA is fitting the bill.
False the Canadian public is picking up the tab on this whole consultation.
They sent 3 or 4 DFO people around to help sell this program... I was there in CR is saw it it with my own eyes. The guy (Niel) tasked with this document is from DFO. Are you saying that his wage comes from PHMA? The pencile pushers are paid by PHMA?
To say that PHMA is picking up the tab is a misdirection of facts.
Why would you say such a thing?
If you read the document you would see that DFO is using their software to track the quota.
Think that has no ongoing cost?
The license is free to the angler but the paperwork comes from DFO. You think DFO staff works for free to process that?
The website that is to be used to match commercial quota to recreational anglers is from an independent business that does that for commercial halibut fishermen. I found no evedince that PHMA has footed the bill for that. Perhaps since you seem to know something you could clear that up for us.....
I can't believe how missinformed most people are on this forum but i guess that is what the people at the top want.
I can't believe how misinformed you are to post such a thing here on this forum..
Perhaps you could cut thru the BS and give us your facts?
Maybe we should all hold our breath untill our faces go red and DFO will give us everything we want.
You go ahead with that and let me know how that works for you. Me I will keep fighting for what is right.......

The clock is ticking and we need to let DFO know what we think.
Fight or flee ... it's your chose... when asked by your childern, what you did ,I hope you have the right answer......
GLG

For the guys that haven't sent there out yet...getter done and let DFO know what you think.... did mine in 10 minutes... :)

Just sent my emails to Neil, Kamp and DFO Minister Ashfield asking them to provide answers to all the questions that GLG poses in his previous post. Good job GLG!

For all of you out there who are against this retarded and corrupt 'experimental quota' becoming permanent law please reply to Mr. Neil at DFO to let them know we think this idea is wrong in the exterme!!!:mad:

here are the email address

Neil.Davis@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
randy.kamp@parl.gc.ca

Last edited by a moderator:
Back