H1N1 Vaccine?

The problem now is that even if you do get a shot, it takes 10 days to two weeks to become effective. By then projections are that the peak of the pandemic will have passed..... still, I have my seasonal shot so I may as well get the H1N1 on the hope that it will help somewhat if I dodge the bullet prior to the shot.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Me and my 4 year old got ours...no lasting affects. My arm was a little tender but didn't affect anything (still raked the yard) and the little one seemed a little "off" the next day (more tired than usual) but otherwise fine.

What it boils down to: Do you want to get it or not? Sure there's all kinds of weird things in it but read any ingredients list and you'll find the same and that not nearly as tested as an inoculation. It's a flu, not a zombie-inducing virus. As with any flu there is a rare chance that it could be fatal or seriously debilitating. This one may (or may not) be more of a concern because in extra-rare instances it has claimed otherwise healthy, younger people. You can take the shot (also not zombie-inducing) and have an even more rare chance at reacting to the shot. Has it been tested as much as other shots for flus that have been around longer? Of course not, it hasn't been around as long! It is very similar to the ones that have been around for years now, however.

I got it 'cause I was fed up with listening to media hype and useless arm waving. Sh*t or get off the pot.

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

an interesting topic forsure...

I received both my shots last week as I work in the ER and feel somewhat compelled to receive them, although I have been exposed to this flu over the last few months already anyways, therefore probably already building up some immunity.

its always a personal choice, but now we are trying to decide over whether or not to get our 10 month old daughter vaccinated. i really dont know what to decide!? although, we stood in line for an hour yesterday amidst hundreds of complainers and sniffling folks. when the line didnt move one inch, i decided it wasnt our day and to screw it! worse for us to stand there and waste our day and to be amidst these other hundreds of ppl,than to just not be vaccinated.

totally a personal choice, and i think alot of it boils down to personal hygiene and safety practices.
lets not forget that this flu will take way less victims than the regular seasonal flu, albeit a different age category are at risk.

dear nurse pippen "MD" - yup, i think i have a pretty good understanding of how the flu virus works thanks.you obviously missed my point so let me S-L-O-W it D-O-W-N for you-OK? your suggestion that a tuna sandwich is = to mercury injected directly into your bloodstream(brain,liver) is insane. i just want folks to make an educated decision (i.e. multi-dose vial injections have 10x the mercury as single dose) and not buy into the hype and disingenuos hyperbole pushed on us by our media (read;artificial scarcity) et al...

Funny how those that get their annual flu shots are at higher risk of dying from H1N1. I think I'll stick with my own immune system.

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Went to my doc today, he said "ok, let's get the H1N1 questions out of the way first". I said, "I don't have any questions about that." hehehe he was shocked as I gather this is almost all he's been dealing with.

I asked him if he thought I should have the shot and he said "No!".

I said, "good, cause I wasn't gonna get it anyway." :D

I too will let my immune system take care of business.

Kind of scary, but I ran across this while doing a little due diligence on the salmon “ISAvirus”, which believe it or not is part of the same family - as you will discover reading the article. So, someday we may have a “Salmon Flu” to deal with? :)

The article is written by Charles Calisher and it is very interesting - addressing “Swine Flu”. It will answer some questions? I tend to believe with his credentials, he might have a greater understanding of this issue than most… at least me. You should really read the entire article, it is well worth it!</u>

Here is a couple of highlights:
quote:“Here is the problem: laypeople look to people they consider experts to answer their uneducated questions. The reason they have questions in the first place is that they have seen something on TV, read something on a blog, in a newspaper or other non-scientific publications, heard a neighbor say something in a bar, or have heard the calm and soothing voices of politicians saying that there is no need for panic. Panic? Was there some tendency to panic before they said that? Is there panic now that they have said there is no need for panic?”

“The media are trying to sell their products, not trying to educate anyone. Governments are trying to show that they are on top of things, that they are competent to provide safety and security for the citizens of their country. The Obama administration certainly does not want to be seen as responding to a disaster as incompetently as the previous administration responded to the Hurricane Katrina disaster. Sometimes that adds up to people stirring an unstirred pot to show they can handle a stirred pot. There are more examples of this than I could possibly include in this or in hundreds of columns.”

“Colloquial expressions such as swine flu, canine flu, equine flu, bird flu, etc. are used, but these terms are neither accurate nor sufficiently descriptive. If those to whom swine represents something forbidden, what about elephant flu (might make you gain weight), dog flu (might make you turn around 3 times before you lie down), or administrator flu (makes you want to lock doors, kick people out of parking spaces, and write more rules)? The virus is the virus, the host is (not so simply) a vehicle.”

The name of the article: "LET’S GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT"
Here is the link: http://www.cmj.hr/2009/50/4/CMJ_50(4)_CALISHER_19673043.pdf
You may have to cut and past the link?

Charles H. Calisher
Professor
Office: Infectious Disease Annex, Foothills Campus
Lab: Infectious Disease Annex, Foothills Campus

Degrees:
B.S. (Bacteriology), Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science, Philadelphia, PA
M.S. (Biology; Gnotobiotics), University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
Ph.D. Microbiology, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC

Research Interests:
Ecology and epidemiology of rodent-borne viruses, arbovirus ecology and epidemiology, viral diagnosis, viral taxonomy, viral evolution

"The media are trying to sell their products, not trying to educate anyone."

I love this quote! Pretty much sums up every Fox news broadcast! I like to watch Seattle's briefly for the entertainment value of the 'Armageddon' Weather Forecast with serious scary music and bright flashing colours...

Tell me what I should be afraid of next please!

well, pretty much sums it up with todays TC info. Only 4 deaths in BC confirmed without underlying conditions. That is 4 in 4.4 million. As a healthy individual, so far the stats say we are 5x more likely to get a severe reaction from the shot, than we are to die from this. I'm a stats guy...stats say YAWN, next panic???

If I had underlying condition though, I would likely get the vaccine...that is convincing enough.

Excellent point Kelly! '.' indeed!

Well, got my shots on Friday. Thats right, living on the wild side,one in each arm. No side effects so far. My main squeeze and fishing partner has underlying conditions. It was only "The Right Thing To Do"

Well, got my shots on Friday. Thats right, living on the wild side,one in each arm. No side effects so far. My main squeeze and fishing partner has underlying conditions. It was only "The Right Thing To Do"

Hey serengeti , got mine Friday (H1N1) due to copd after smoking for 40 years , sore arm and now sore throat , other than that just tired but then 67 years may be a contributing factor there !

AL

Hey serengeti , got mine Friday (H1N1) due to copd after smoking for 40 years , sore arm and now sore throat , other than that just tired but then 67 years may be a contributing factor there !

AL

Back