Jerk at the launch - what do you do?

banger17

Alright, here it goes.

Today, I was launching the lake boat into Sproat with my brother, 3 boats all abreast at the ramp/in the water at the same time getting ready to head out. I am one of the outside boats, and I am standing inside the boat getting ready to fire it up and back off the trailer. There is a boat in the middle of the pack, wife is holding the boat (maybe 40-50 years old) and her (what I assume to be) husband about 50-ish walks down the ramp and in a jerk voice he mutters "bring the boat closer NOW, I dont want the dog getting wet!" I look up as the tone caught me a bit off guard, but didn't think too much of it otherwise.

but it gets much better (or worse, in this case). 30 seconds later, I am almost ready to fire up the engine and I look over to see his wife has let go of the boat and him now inside his 1952 Bayliner Capri holding a tiki torch out over the side of the boat in the hopes his wife will reach it and pull him the 2 feet he has drifted off of the dock. He goes on to yell that "she needs to hold onto the damn boat" and continued to YELL items inclusive of "you are F'ing useless, you are an F'ing idiot" and a couple of other similarly natured phrases.

This all seemed to happen in the flash of a few seconds. Wife doesn't say anything, she looks mortified. She now jumps into said boat, and I am wondering to myself "what the F just happened right here?" I look to the other far boat waiting on the outside and the elderly couple surely looked to be in disbelief, just the same as I.

The dysfunctional pair starts backing away and I start to slow clap at him. I feel the switch go off and I am now just right incensed. I start yelling at him and ask "whether he is proud of the way he acts?, that he is a piece of F'ing trash, and that he needs to use some F'ing respect talking to a woman, or anyone else like that!"

He finally looks up at me and stats asking me "what the F do I care?" and starts lipping back at me so I continue to lace a few other hot-headed phrases his way, and off they continue on their merry way.

The fellow boaters who witnessed it spoke up about how much of A'hole he was, etc. It felt good to speak up and like the right thing to do in that moment. I am also aware many people would choose not to say anything at all. Whether it was his wife, a kid of his, or anyone else standing there getting shat on, I likely would have said something just the same. The fact it was so hurtful to a vulnerable woman had me right pissed, especially as a I am a dad of two daughters now.

Icing on the cake was when they were leaving, the wife looked back at me and waved as if to say thanks for calling him out for his antics. I feel for her, and I have full belief if this jerk acts that way at a launch, it has to be much more sinister and amplified behind closed doors?

So, what do you think you would have done in the moment? Is it worth calling crap like that out at risk of making a scene or escalating a scenario? Always looking to learn and curious about some of your fishing ramp insights and stories. Maybe I over-reacted a bit, but jerks need to be called out and I can only hope this helps her and or him become aware of how ridiculous that really was.

Well i for one say good for you. Chivalry is not dead! I have also witnessed horrific scenes of screaming and yelling like this, and i did the exact same as you: slow clap and when he turned and looked at me i gave him a sarcastic thumbs up.

It's probably not the best approach because like you say it escalates the situation, but I too have a hard time not saying something.

While I get the temptation to say something and in the same situation I would be having the exact same temptation, it’s their life and apparently that’s how they choose to live it. I guarantee that you didn’t “fix” their relationship.

Kudos to you. You may have given her a reason to rethink her relationship going further knowing full well that the way she is treated is not the way it should be.
If we hold off saying anything when we witness verbal abuse, do we hold off when we witness physical abuse as well?
I say you did the right thing and I applaud you for it.

The guy is probably all mouth when it comes to other men. Sad thing is, his abused partner would of probably stuck up for him. Not enough room in the world for those type. Maybe it's an age thing, or circumstances I have gone through the last few years, but I don't give a crap anymore and will call A holes out. Will probably get myself beat up one of these days. Lol.

We have seen behavior very similar to this with my wife's sister and her partner when we share time with them at the summer cabin. It happens only occasionally, but there's a long established pattern. They'll be doing chores together and for some non-reason he flips his lid and calls her "stupid" or "dummy" because she handed him the wrong screwdriver or whatever.

Over the years we have taken both approaches when it happens - speaking up at times, saying nothing at others. Doesn't seem to have changed anything. They've been together for half a century and have traveled the planet indulging their passion for new places, new cultures and the natural wonders of this world. They spend a lot of time together and have a rich ongoing dialog about their shared interests of philosophy, literature and politics. In most respects they're a fairly progressive, well read baby boomer couple who have extracted a lot out of their retirement years and are enjoying their growing extended family. There's just this one black spot that's so out of character.

Could there be further abuse happening? Seems unlikely, most of the classic abuse hallmarks aren't present. During their working years, she earned more than he and had a higher professional standing - they even took the very modern step of him being the at-home parent for a few years when their kids were small back in the 80s. My take would be that they're both on an equal footing in the relationship when it comes to finances, decision making, communication and social interaction. He doesn't keep her socially isolated that we see, and it's not unheard of for her to travel on her own to visit friends or their kids.

Is he a bully? Yes. Has calling him out changed anything? No. Has it contributed to preventing the bullying from escalating? Maybe.

The couple the OP observed were in their 50s, so it's likely part of their pattern too. Buddy didn't just wake up that morning and decide that today would be a good day to start being verbally abusive to his spouse. As much as it might make you feel better to call him out, it will barely ripple his pond. He will quickly flip it in his mind to YOU being the jerk, not him.

I intervened like that once when a guy was acting that way to a freinds mom or dad, can’t remember which. He sprinted at me and I dropped my case of beer and flatlined him in front of 50 people. Worked out ok that time but could have gone the other way too. If you are willing to speak up you need to be willing to go all the way. I think it’s worth treading a bit lightly these days with the amount of guys that train MMA . Doesn’t take much professional training to **** up the average guy.

I intervened like that once when a guy was acting that way to a freinds mom or dad, can’t remember which. He sprinted at me and I dropped my case of beer and flatlined him in front of 50 people. Worked out ok that time but could have gone the other way too. If you are willing to speak up you need to be willing to go all the way. I think it’s worth treading a bit lightly these days with the amount of guys that train MMA . Doesn’t take much professional training to **** up the average guy.
Bear spray. I’ve seen enough action at boat launches that I always carry some onboard. Plus…bears

Last edited:
I’ve gotten frustrated with the wife before trying to help launch the boat (nothing even close to what you’re describing, she would’ve divorced my butt). But then i quickly realized that if she didn’t know how to do something properly, that I’m to blame for not teaching her. Sounds like this guy is a winner, and good on you for saying something. But a reminder, if you’re gonna lip off to someone like this, you have to be prepared to throw. Too many nut jobs these days.

Always take a picture of them first before you say or do anything, preferably when the Guy (95% always a guy) is not looking. then that way your covered. I had a lady in Beacon Hill Park (in Victoria on the waterfront) kneeing my dog and chasing it. I went right up and took her picture, but as she saw what I did, she turned on me. Later on, had to identify her to the Animal Control. Honestly some peoples children!:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back