LAPEROUSE PART V The Nepean and the Wolf

Sharphooks

I arrived to the Nepean the second week of the trip. This was my fifth or sixth year up to that part of British Columbia and it’s a glorious part of our world. There are more whales then people. There are some agonizingly beautiful pieces of real estate to drop your anchor and run your dog then sit on beaches with a bottle of wine realizing how wonderful life can be.

And the fishing can be good.

The main issue in this part of the world: getting surrounded by feeding whales when you’re trying to fish. I had one of those moments in the Nepean

I’ve never taken video footage during any of my trips, mainly because for the last decade and a half I’ve been a B’berry guy and the format was always awkward for both editing and posting to emails or Youtube. But I finally got cut off from B’berry due to the advent of 5G and was forced to join the iPhone crowd. The upside is I now have compatible file format.

Here’s a link to the Nepean rock whale-fest. I apologize in advance for what should have been edited for brevity and turning the camera sideways to get it all in was a blunder but fixing it up to post a proper video is beyond my pay grade....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gez8dDigV0

I also got my first video of a wolf. The still photo I got captures the scenario just as well. This was in a small bay on Fin Island. The Southeast weather had come in and Squall Channel was living up to its name —- a good day to lie low and take in the scenery. I got lucky when the wolf showed up.

1691529459155.png

I missed a wonderful video opportunity when a flock of ravens fluttered around its head and he started batting at them with his paws. I was too busy clamping the snout of my dog closed so she wouldn’t spook the wolf with her frenzied barking. And then two deer showed up on the beach. I was surprised to see them yawning and polishing their hoof-nails because they were clearly aware of the wolf but were equally nonplussed about its presence.

It reminded me of a moment I had up in the Bering Sea on a Japanese longliner years ago. I had my camera trained on a huge bull Orca, his 6 foot dorsal fin wagging back and forth in the breeze and in the same space of the range finder on my camera, a sea lion showed up. I thought I was going to get the photo of a lifetime—— an Orca devouring a sea lion right in front of me.

But nothing happened. Same with the wolf and the two deer. Peaceful coexistence, or perhaps the wolf had just eaten Jimmy, one of their cousins and it wasn’t quite ready for dinner just yet

Last edited:
Back