Gun Control in US and Canada

perhaps, if the military uses the weapon, it is automatically banned from open sale. a slippery slope for sure with no easy solution. that is why i think coming at it from the obvious is the most workable: universal background checks; waiting period; a ban on high capacity magazines. all good starting points without definitional issues. but with the NRA opposing ATF, not much is going to get done.

Lorne, do you have the stats for each of the guns you have mentioned? Well I fully believe hunting rifles or "ranch rifles" can be just as powerful and accurate as the AR. I think it comes down to the mags. The ruger you posted has no mag hanging off it and the AR has a high capacity mag hanging. That would be the difference. And that is what needs to be addressed in the US.

According to my Funk&Wagnall's :-

definition:-

"Assault":-1. ANY violent attack,as an act,speech, or writing. 2. An unlawful attempt or offer to do bodily injury to another. 3. A rape 4.An attack upon a fortified place. 5. A closing with the enemy 6. To attack with violence.

"Weapon":- 1. ANY implement for fighting or warfare 2. ANY means that may be used against an adversary 3. To furnish with a weapon or weapons.

The NRA is looking for volunteer gun owners to police our schools. Finding them at gun shows would be like shooting fish in a barrel

MEDINA, Ohio January 20, 2013 (AP)

Accidental shootings at gun shows in North Carolina, Indiana and Ohio left five people injured Saturday.

At the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh, a 12-gauge shotgun discharged as its owner unzipped its case for a law enforcement officer to check at a security entrance, injuring three people, state Agriculture Department spokesman Brian Long said.

Two bystanders were hit by shotgun pellets and taken to a hospital. A retired deputy sheriff suffered a slight hand injury.

The shotgun's owner, 36-year-old Gary Lynn Wilson, brought the weapon to the show to find a private buyer, Long said. Sheriff Donnie Harrison said that it was too early to know whether Wilson might be charged but that it appeared to be an accident.

The North Carolina show, which is held at the state fairgrounds, is a quarterly event that usually draws thousands of people. The two-day show shut down early Saturday but will reopen Sunday.

In Indianapolis, police said a 54-year-old man was injured when he accidentally shot himself while leaving a gun show.

Emory L. Cozee was loading his .45 caliber semi-automatic when he shot himself in the hand as he was leaving the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife show at the state fairgrounds, state police said. Loaded personal weapons aren't allowed inside the show.

Cozee, of Indianapolis, was hospitalized for treatment. Police say the shooting was accidental and no charges will be filed.

And in Ohio, a gun dealer in Medina was checking out a semi-automatic handgun he had bought Saturday when he accidentally pulled the trigger, injuring his friend, police said. The gun's magazine had been removed from the firearm, but one round remained in the chamber, police said.

Police Chief Pat Berarducci said it appears the bullet ricocheted off the floor and struck the friend in the arm and leg. The man was taken by helicopter to a hospital 30 miles north in Cleveland, Berarducci said. His condition wasn't immediately known.

Last edited by a moderator:
you accidentally kill someone its manslaughter, you get charged and mabey go to jail,something. you accidentally fire a weapon in a public place and theres no charges!? no undo care and attention..fine,discipline... wow

Lorne, do you have the stats for each of the guns you have mentioned? Well I fully believe hunting rifles or "ranch rifles" can be just as powerful and accurate as the AR. I think it comes down to the mags. The ruger you posted has no mag hanging off it and the AR has a high capacity mag hanging. That would be the difference. And that is what needs to be addressed in the US.

We agree, so you think it its fine to have ar-15's as long as they dont have high capacity magazines? If so we, for once, are on the same page.

Lorne

Hypocracy they want what is best for them but screw you. Even trash mouth Rosie O'Donnel has an armed guard protecting her.

[wt1Zy_ASNyA] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt1Zy_ASNyA&feature=player_embedded

We agree, so you think it its fine to have ar-15's as long as they dont have high capacity magazines? If so we, for once, are on the same page.

Lorne

the horse is out of the barn on this one. agree or disagee, makes no difference. what 'might' make a difference is limiting the magazine capacity.

Just wondering.....

The BushMaster AR-15........does the "AR" mean " Automatic Rifle" or "Arguably Redundant"?

Does "Bushmaster" mean it's a great gun in the bush because you can mow down any foliage or branches that get in your way of a shot........or is it a concealed homage to George Bush The Second, recognizing him as your master and this is the gun you will take with you into battle?

Just wondering.....

The BushMaster AR-15........does the "AR" mean " Automatic Rifle" or "Arguably Redundant"?

Does "Bushmaster" mean it's a great gun in the bush because you can mow down any foliage or branches that get in your way of a shot........or is it a concealed homage to George Bush The Second, recognizing him as your master and this is the gun you will take with you into battle?

AR- is the acronym for the company that first developed the gun. And i wont even respond to the bushmaster part because your being ridiculous.

Lorne

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in! Seafever, WTF are you talking about? Little early in the day to be hitting the sauce, ain't it?

Since Sandy Hook the sale of certain type of guns has skyrocketed....I wonder if there has been a corresponding jump in the sale of bulletproof vests and body-armor....

I disagree with your point "handguns are for killing people" I have owned handguns for thirty years and have not killed anyone yet and do not have any intention of even pointing one at a person. When you make a broad statement as such you include many with it.
Sad news coming from back east
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/01/22/montreal-dorval-boy-shot-and-killed.html
Don't these "responsible gun owners" know how to lock up a hand gun?
What is it going to take before people get the message.
Hand guns are for killing people and they do a good job of it.
GLG

Back