Gun Control in US and Canada

Piers Morgan's continual question on his show " tell me....why does anyone need an AR15?" is a bit misleading.

A semi-automatic rifle of any kind can be pretty deadly.

On one episode of "Sons Of Guns" they had a guy on there that was extremely good with a semi-automatic.

Now this is :- one trigger pull= one shot. But the guy was so damn fast at firing this way, if he was a nutball gone psycho in a mall, you wouldn't stand a chance.
He was only slightly slower than full automatic.

Englishman; said:
The genie is well and truly out of the bottle and it can never be put back in.
Totally agree, E. The toothpaste ain't never gettin' put back in the tube. 'Nuff said.

Peta raises it's ugly head again. Meanwhile vegans have driven up the price of quinoa so high that Bolivia's lower income group , of whom this is a staple food, to a point they cannot afford it. I don't think the vegans really care as it would only be humans that are undernourished not animals. :)

Therefore I have to assume that all PETA members are vegans.......a guy that shoots a deer for food eats a deer instead of chicken or cow or fish.

The guy that doesn't shoot a deer eats chicken or cow or fish.

End result :- Dead chickens , dead cows, dead fish and dead deer.

So you would have to ban the killing of all animals in it's entirety to satisfy PETA.

We know that's not going to happen. Non-hunters nationwide consume dead cow,dead chicken, dead fish by the semi-trailer load daily.

Aboriginals of any country consider hunting for animals to be part of their historic right. They weren't doing it for "fun".

Last edited by a moderator:
Lorne we have a problem

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...to-loaded-magnum-school-students-charged.html
[h=4]Jan 17, 2013[/h]Toronto police say a female student tried to escape a lockdown at an east-end high school Wednesday, along with the bag that contained the loaded .357 Magnum officers were looking for.

Police say they received a tip through Crime Stoppers about the presence of a gun at Blessed Mother Teresa Catholic Secondary School at 40 Sewells Rd., near McLevin Avenue and Neilson Road.

The school was subsequently put into lockdown, as officers looked for the weapon.

Police allege that the gun had been placed in a bag that "was in the possession" of four young people, whom the school board has confirmed were students.
It is further alleged that one of the accused, a young woman, tried to leave the school during the lockdown. But she was arrested and police found the gun in the bag.

All four of the young people have been charged with 10 firearm-related criminal counts, including carrying a concealed weapon, careless use of a firearm and careless storage of ammunition.
The Youth Criminal Justice Act prevents the accused from being publicly identified.
The four accused were due to appear in a Toronto court on Thursday morning.

GLG:- wow...and at a Catholic school to boot.

Let's take a look at the stats for Alaska.....one of the highest gunowner states in the US. You don't need a permit to "pack and carry" there. Lots of hunting going on there. You can drive around with a .45 pistol in your truck all day long if you like. Many carry for defense against bear attacks.

Almost everybody has a gun of one kind or another at home.

One of the highest domestic assault rates in the U.S.....along with one of the highest rape rates in the U.S..

Alcohol and drug abuse is also exceedingly high.

You could say that Alaska is the living epitomy of "life in the old Wild West".

Alaska is number 10 on the list (by state) of "death by firearm" in the U.S.

http:/www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa/alaska-firearms-death

#1 Louisiana
#2 Wyoming
#3 Alabama
#4 Mississipi
#5 District of Columbia
#6 Arkansas
#7 Montana
#8 Nevada
#9 Tennessee

Second to last out of 51 is Hawaii..........so put down your Glock and pick up your
ukelele for a bullet free vacation.

Ever wonder why us hunters and gun owners are so defensive when it comes to giving up "one simple hunt?" or "one simple gun?".....

chicken little enters the debate. i use to subsist on what i killed or caught. i am a gun owner and avid fisherman. i have zero problem with requiring background checks on all gun purchases no matter where that purchase occurs. that puts me in snyc with 85% of NRA members. i am also totally in opposition to anyone having a weapon capable of handling an extended magazine and empyting that magazine in a couple of eye blinks or less. that is, unless that weapon is in the hands of a military man or woman. my big game hunting required a single shot for a kill, not 30. in the US, the supremes have already guaranteed my right to keep my firearms. fear, promolgated by the NRA and nut case gun owners does not direct or drive my life. taking small steps to protect society is required and should have begun decades ago. this is not 1776 and no gun owner in the US is a '...well regulated militia...'.

I did not read that it was registered or not. If not resgistered then it was illegal. If registered then someone is in deep doo doo for unsafe storage. Either way a law was broken and the law should be duly applied.

Lorne we have a problem

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...to-loaded-magnum-school-students-charged.html
[h=4]Jan 17, 2013[/h]Toronto police say a female student tried to escape a lockdown at an east-end high school Wednesday, along with the bag that contained the loaded .357 Magnum officers were looking for.

Police say they received a tip through Crime Stoppers about the presence of a gun at Blessed Mother Teresa Catholic Secondary School at 40 Sewells Rd., near McLevin Avenue and Neilson Road.

The school was subsequently put into lockdown, as officers looked for the weapon.

Police allege that the gun had been placed in a bag that "was in the possession" of four young people, whom the school board has confirmed were students.
It is further alleged that one of the accused, a young woman, tried to leave the school during the lockdown. But she was arrested and police found the gun in the bag.

All four of the young people have been charged with 10 firearm-related criminal counts, including carrying a concealed weapon, careless use of a firearm and careless storage of ammunition.
The Youth Criminal Justice Act prevents the accused from being publicly identified.

Lorne we have a problem

I agree Gil! The problem being that one of the most heavily regulated firearms to aquire ( I cant even get one without have a restricted fire arms permit) Got into a kids hand! That gun should be made to sit in the corner and should be grounded!

chicken little enters the debate. i use to subsist on what i killed or caught. i am a gun owner and avid fisherman. i have zero problem with requiring background checks on all gun purchases no matter where that purchase occurs. that puts me in snyc with 85% of NRA members. i am also totally in opposition to anyone having a weapon capable of handling an extended magazine and empyting that magazine in a couple of eye blinks or less. that is, unless that weapon is in the hands of a military man or woman. my big game hunting required a single shot for a kill, not 30. in the US, the supremes have already guaranteed my right to keep my firearms. fear, promolgated by the NRA and nut case gun owners does not direct or drive my life. taking small steps to protect society is required and should have begun decades ago. this is not 1776 and no gun owner in the US is a '...well regulated militia...'.

I agree 100% with you! and i am also in support of everything you just said. I am just saying that in history, when you give something up usually more is taken(take a look at the rec fishery for that one!), and as you see in this arcticle it opens the flood gates for radicals like PETA to try and push thier own agendas.

Your position on this is duly noted and highly respected. I cannot argue common sense.

I also agree with you Reelfast:-

But here's the way it's going down in the daily aired media:-

Q:- How do you feel about large capacity magazines for firearms?

A:- You're not taking my rights ways from me!!!!!!

Q:- What are your views on mass shootings?

A:- Commie!! You're not taking my rights away!!!

Q:- Do you think there should be controls of any kind?

A:- Don't play with words!! It's about my rights!!!

Q:- Do you think the recent spat of mass shootings warrants any perusal?

A:- There you go with your fifty dollar words.......and take my rights away while I'm not looking!!!

Q:- Do you think anything at all should be done?

A:- We're talking about my rights here, mister...if not you can get the hell out!!!

Q:- How do you feel about the innocent people who've been gunned down so far?

A:- I'm here to talk about my rights......apparently you aren't!!

Q:- Do you have any input whatsoever on the subject?

A:- I'll meet you outside in the parking lot , you *****-wimp!!!!!

Guy's 4 young (stupid) teens are going to have this on there records the rest of there lives.
Sure they can get the "records" erased at some point, but the damage has been done.
That's one bell that can't be un-rung ....
Why this shyt has to happen so some "responsible" gun owner can have his toys.
Although I don't know how this can happen it does show how weak our system is.
Could it be the gun safe was not so safe or the key was in plain site.
What if the gun accidentally went off at the school?
We have got to do better or get these "toy's" out of the hands of the public.
Why would anyone need a gun like this, it is meant for killing people.
I spent 10 years in the arctic under the protection of a bear monitor.
He had a single shot long gun and I only saw him use it once and one shot was all he needed.
Please lock up your guns with the best safe you can get....
Do like other respected members here and keep them safe and out of the hands of people that should not hold them.
I want my kid to come home from school every day safe and sound.....

I hope lessons are learned and we do get to the bottom of this near tragedy.
And for the record I was not much smater when I was their age....

I watched John Stewart last night and learned quite a bit about the ATF in States........or lack there of. Pretty clear how powerful the NRA is down there politically.

I can't find last nights episode so here is another one. He's all about having a discussion on it. Seems pretty reasonable about the whole thing really.

[K13HdTsW_E0] http://youtu.be/K13HdTsW_E0

It seems that the "hunting" aspect of the right to bear arms is a "distraction" to fuel the "right".

In researching the Second Amendment it becomes clear that the intent to arm a "well-regulated" militia was for the purpose of combatting possible "tyrrany".

But who would be the ones that "well regulate" a militia?

At that time there were 13 colonies....and other areas and geographical locations in the USA were held by Spanish, French, Dutch and English forces.

So "taking on the government"could have meant combatting any or every of several different ones. But the tyrrany they were thinking about mainly was British enforcement of British ideas and laws.

Firearms (muskets) were often cobbled together out of parts made by different manufacturers.....basically "whatever worked" in many cases ...and parts came from different countries and their arms makers.
There was little "standardization". Because the musket was so damned innaccurate at anything over really short distances, volume over accuracy was adopted by almost all
military units from anywhere. The more lead you could throw by more people in a given instance the better your chances of "winning". But if you were a longrange sniper using a musket you were basically useless.

Population of the USA in 1776 was about 2 and half million.

The Second Amendment was not inked in 1776.....it happened a number of years later.

There are different versions of The Second Amendment...that were legally interpreted and adopted way back in that era.

Does the government legally have the the ability to curtail "rights' in times of national threat?

So far.....yes.. in the USA the Terrorist Act trumps many "rights" if the need arises.

Up here in Canada....there is that but also "The War Measures Act"........Trudeau invoked it once in the seventies...

In WW2 in Canada and the USA and elsewhere many "rights" were kicked to the curb in favor of "national security".

In 1776 , slave-owners were first and foremost in the ideology to bear arms for the combat of "tyrrany" ironically.

Bearing arms had nothing to do with protecting "freedoms" and "the right to pursue life,liberty and happiness".....
that is...unless you were white.

Back In 1776 the majority of people in the USA were farmers,who, according to archived sources actually didn't give much of hoot about gun ownership. From a hunting standpoint, the musket was the last weapon you would choose for hunting because of its short range and legendary inaccuracy. There might have been plenty of game around.....but you have to hit first.......good luck if you're using a musket.

Some good info on the subject:-

13 Colonies:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteen_Colonies

The 1776 Continetal Army:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Army

Second Amendment:-

Go to Wiki and type in "Second Amendment To The United States Constitution"

Early Militia Effectiveness:-

http://www.claytoncramer.com/speeches/columbia.18apr01.
This link doesn't seem to work...but it does if you go to ClaytonCramer.com and look up in "legislative speeches".

British Military Rifles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_military_rifles

I also agree with you Reelfast:-

But here's the way it's going down in the daily aired media:-

Q:- How do you feel about large capacity magazines for firearms?

A:- You're not taking my rights ways from me!!!!!!

Q:- What are your views on mass shootings?

A:- Commie!! You're not taking my rights away!!!

Q:- Do you think there should be controls of any kind?

A:- Don't play with words!! It's about my rights!!!

Q:- Do you think the recent spat of mass shootings warrants any perusal?

A:- There you go with your fifty dollar words.......and take my rights away while I'm not looking!!!

Q:- Do you think anything at all should be done?

A:- We're talking about my rights here, mister...if not you can get the hell out!!!

Q:- How do you feel about the innocent people who've been gunned down so far?

A:- I'm here to talk about my rights......apparently you aren't!!

Q:- Do you have any input whatsoever on the subject?

A:- I'll meet you outside in the parking lot , you *****-wimp!!!!!

Right on Seafever!

And the scary thing is there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions or people down there with the mentality of the "person" answering the questions in your dialogue.
Their "manhood" is tied to how big a gun , or how many guns they have, and their intelligence and willingness to engage in rational debate is at the Neanderthal level.

To rid the American culture of these types of people is a massive task and tantamount to changing the people of the Middle East into a peace loving brotherhood. It cannot be done! At least not until many generations have passed. Look how long it took to rid Europe of religious wars and persecutions!

You dialogue illustrates exactly why nothing can be done in our lifetimes and many, many more massacres will take place in the U.S. in the coming years of this century.

Back