Gaffs & Bonkers

Baxter

So this weekend I finally made a new bonker out of an old piece of fence post. Turned out reasonably well, but it will murder fish, so that's all that matters! :)

Now I need a Gaff. Spending $70 sounds ludicrous. Going to use an old shovel handle (cause I cant find my old axe handle) and likely just use a bent spike.

I wanted to buy a proper Gaff hook to use, but can't seem to find those anywhere (without the handle that is). Did find some on Amazon, but all in bulk. Don't really need a dozen of these!

My Question is, what do you guys use for the hook for home-made gaffs? I was thinking of a 10" or 12" spike (Framing nail). They are $1 at Home Depot. (Like the price!).

Problem is, the 12" are galvanized. Anyone see a reason why this would be an issue? Can't seem to find stainless 12" nails. Will a Galvanized spike of that size bend okay without breaking? Thoughts?
Here is a pic of the bonker just cause. 16" piece of treated fence post. I don't have a lathe so had to whittle the handle down with a chisel. PITA, but it worked. Found the handle was a bit to slippery so wrapped in hockey tape since we have about a zillion rolls of that laying around.
Cost: Free (well, maybe $1 or $2 worth of hockey tape at most, but since I already had that, consider it free ;) )

Attachments

• bonker.jpg
    bonker.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
So this weekend I finally made a new bonker out of an old piece of fence post. Turned out reasonably well, but it will murder fish, so that's all that matters! :)

Now I need a Gaff. Spending $70 sounds ludicrous. Going to use an old shovel handle (cause I cant find my old axe handle) and likely just use a bent spike.

I wanted to buy a proper Gaff hook to use, but can't seem to find those anywhere (without the handle that is). Did find some on Amazon, but all in bulk. Don't really need a dozen of these!

My Question is, what do you guys use for the hook for home-made gaffs? I was thinking of a 10" or 12" spike (Framing nail). They are $1 at Home Depot. (Like the price!).

Problem is, the 12" are galvanized. Anyone see a reason why this would be an issue? Can't seem to find stainless 12" nails. Will a Galvanized spike of that size bend okay without breaking? Thoughts?
Here is a pic of the bonker just cause. 16" piece of treated fence post. I don't have a lathe so had to whittle the handle down with a chisel. PITA, but it worked. Found the handle was a bit to slippery so wrapped in hockey tape since we have about a zillion rolls of that laying around.
Cost: Free (well, maybe $1 or $2 worth of hockey tape at most, but since I already had that, consider it free ;) )
You’re so Canadian! Widdle a fish bonker with a chisel and slap some hockey tape you had lying around for the handle wrap, eh?!

You have a nice boat, decent gear and pride.
Do not screw all that up with a cheap a$$ gaff, all else it for naught if you lose a nice fish three feet from your hand.
That and stabbing a fish with a rusty galvanized nail to have it fall off is not something a responsible angler should aim for.

Gaffing is an art, use decent equipment for best results.

1/4" diameter 316 stainless rod is usually something like $2-3/foot...if you really want to avoid spending $13, you might be able to get quality stainless rod from Metal Supermarket or someone like that and shape it yourself...although the effort barely seems worth it to replicate a $13 hook. Still I do understand doing stuff yourself, even when it's impractical.

1/4" diameter 316 stainless rod is usually something like $2-3/foot...if you really want to avoid spending $13, you might be able to get quality stainless rod from Metal Supermarket or someone like that and shape it yourself...although the effort barely seems worth it to replicate a $13 hook. Still I do understand doing stuff yourself, even when it's impractical.

Good point, I will look to find some stainless rod.

You are right. Yes, part of it is about pinching pennies, but the bigger part is just pride in having done it myself.

I would rather have something, although not perfect, done by my own hand than to pay a premium for something store bought. Even if I don't know exactly how to do it, it is a learning experience, and the skills learned will pass on to future projects. This time, maybe I am saving $10 and putting in an hour of labour, but I will likely learn a little something that might save me hundreds (or more) down the road. The more I can build up my skill bank, the more I can bring to the table with home renos, fixing my "toys" and all that. A lot more than $10 in value at the end of the day :)

(As for the stainless rod, I saw one video where a guy took a 1/4 Peg board peg and used that. Not sure if those are stainless, but something I will investigate!)

You have a nice boat, decent gear and pride.
Do not screw all that up with a cheap a$$ gaff, all else it for naught if you lose a nice fish three feet from your hand.
That and stabbing a fish with a rusty galvanized nail to have it fall off is not something a responsible angler should aim for.

Gaffing is an art, use decent equipment for best results.
Perhaps the nail is not the right choice, I get that. Partially why I made this post. But I am also looking forward to the act of trying to do it myself. That said, buying a premade hook is not off the table. I get the value in there as well, again, why I started this thread.

I find these forum threads, and people bouncing ideas all over the place presents a valuable learning opportunity. :)

Good point, I will look to find some stainless rod.

You are right. Yes, part of it is about pinching pennies, but the bigger part is just pride in having done it myself.

I would rather have something, although not perfect, done by my own hand than to pay a premium for something store bought. Even if I don't know exactly how to do it, it is a learning experience, and the skills learned will pass on to future projects. This time, maybe I am saving $10 and putting in an hour of labour, but I will likely learn a little something that might save me hundreds (or more) down the road. The more I can build up my skill bank, the more I can bring to the table with home renos, fixing my "toys" and all that. A lot more than $10 in value at the end of the day :)

(As for the stainless rod, I saw one video where a guy took a 1/4 Peg board peg and used that. Not sure if those are stainless, but something I will investigate!)
Well, at least if you start with a rod you can bend it to your exact shape preferences; that's kind of a cool option.

I found the top end broken 5ft length of pike pole on the beach a few years ago, cut it to about 2-2 1/2 ft and used a piece of stainless rod to fabricate the gaff end. It floats as the inner core has wood in it

I found the top end broken 5ft length of pike pole on the beach a few years ago, cut it to about 2-2 1/2 ft and used a piece of stainless rod to fabricate the gaff end. It floats as the inner core has wood in it

Oh, that would work well. Now to find one on the beach. ;)

Further along what Gong show is saying ; you have a 18-20 ling beside the boat and it’s barely hooked. you’re gonna reach for a gaff with a bent nail ?
Redden Net sells the gaff hooks for cheap. put it on your own piece of wood. I lashed mine to an old axe handle and whip finished it with net twine that has a break strength of 750 lbs. Then finished off with epoxy just because.

you can make the handle 62 cm long for a quick measure for chinook as well.

i’ve been gaffing salmon lately so the measuring device is nice to have nice and handy

The meat hook is a bit thick, and I already have a Wesking, so I put mine on a broken high jump cross bar for a boat hook and crab float grabber.

Personally I don't see the big deal with a sharpened up spike of the appropriate diameter, I get wanting to build your own. You're not building rocket appliances and it's not like it won't penetrate. The only thing I'd say is if you choose something galvanized and use heat for the bend beware of the fumes they'll be zinc oxide and are pretty bad for you and that portion won't be galvanized anymore.

Just make sure whatever you use as a hook is super secure the handle. Store bought gaffs / hooks have a little 90 bent in them so they don’t pull or separate from their handle.

Like has been said, it would be very unpleasant to see a nice fish get way due to a failed gaff.

I rarely use a net, unless the fish is 20lbs + and I am with someone else
I find the gaff is used for everything. Releasing, keeping, clearing cabbage, bonking and retrieving release clips for the reset

Back