Old rods - what are they good for?

chille51

I recently picked up a batch of gear used. Mostly for the two Scotty downriggers and associated accessories, but it came with some older rods and reels as well and a bunch of other stuff. Most of the rods are definitely older and I don't think anything special - but I'm wondering if I can find a use for them since I have 'em? A little bit odd setups though - probably a bit short for rigger rods, a bit long for jigging. I'm not sure.

Zebco Pro-staff 8', MH, 12-20lb line
Daiwa Eliminator 8', M, 12-30lb
Ugly Stick 9' L 6-20lb
Ugly Stick Catfish 8' MH 10-30lb

In terms of reels to pair up, I have the aforementioned Shimano Moochers - both 2000 and 4000. A Penn Long Beach 60 came in the lot, and I have a Shimano Triton Charter Special kicking around too. And a newer Penn Warfare 20.

Piece some workable setups together with this stuff, or at least some backups?

I recently picked up a batch of gear used. Mostly for the two Scotty downriggers and associated accessories, but it came with some older rods and reels as well and a bunch of other stuff. Most of the rods are definitely older and I don't think anything special - but I'm wondering if I can find a use for them since I have 'em? A little bit odd setups though - probably a bit short for rigger rods, a bit long for jigging. I'm not sure.

Zebco Pro-staff 8', MH, 12-20lb line
Daiwa Eliminator 8', M, 12-30lb
Ugly Stick 9' L 6-20lb
Ugly Stick Catfish 8' MH 10-30lb

In terms of reels to pair up, I have the aforementioned Shimano Moochers - both 2000 and 4000. A Penn Long Beach 60 came in the lot, and I have a Shimano Triton Charter Special kicking around too. And a newer Penn Warfare 20.

Piece some workable setups together with this stuff, or at least some backups?
Restore the rods and reels and put them to use..... Make up a dedicated rod with a weight and release to get those undersized cod back down to the bottom. If the rod's are no good use them to repair other rods. Just keep them fishing in one form or another.

Restore the rods and reels and put them to use..... Make up a dedicated rod with a weight and release to get those undersized cod back down to the bottom. If the rod's are no good use them to repair other rods. Just keep them fishing in one form or another.
I don't think they need much in the way of restoration actually. No breaks, guides are intact. Just not your typical 10'6" mooching rod or 6'6" boat rod.

I don't think they need much in the way of restoration actually. No breaks, guides are intact. Just not your typical 10'6" mooching rod or 6'6" boat rod.
Yes .... but they would/could be perfect for someone. Just don't let them stop fishing. I would use them for bottom fishing.
Reels are easy to restore if you can find parts and some of them make great mantel pieces for the man cave.
One can never have enough fishing gear.

Last edited:
I love old school reels and am just fishing Peetz now. Old rods is another thing. I have lost too many crackers on **** rods. I would suggest you let the old lady make them into curtain rods….

Thanks guys. Yeah, most of these rods will eventually be replaced but for the time being I'll fish them somehow. Good suggestion on the dedicated descender rod - will do that with one for sure. Any other suggestions?

Back