Fathers Day Weekend Fishing Derby

Wow, the weather forecast for the next 3 days sucks big time!!! I really hope Big Wave Dave is wrong on this one or Saturday is going to be ugly.

You guys are right I just checked Washington state marine. 20-30 knot winds.... pretty much both days. 3-5 ft seas possibly if what is said is correct........

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the weather forecast for the next 3 days sucks big time!!! I really hope Big Wave Dave is wrong on this one or Saturday is going to be ugly.

Looks like strong west for most of the day Saturday, its a good thing its a flood tide.
It would be really ugly on an ebb.

It ebbs most of the morning on Saturday and Sunday. Earlier forecast looked bad Saturday ok Sunday but today both days appear to be not so nice. Still time for this ******* to blow through early though!

Maybe not too many boats to keep track of past sherringham which would be good.

Only two days to go and still no word from DFO maybe they will forget about us and there will be no regulations for the weekend! Hopefully SVIAC is doing some last minute lobbying for Father's Day my two girls want to give me 1 fish over 65cm c'mon DFO make it happen.

nope we had to do it many times throughout at Consultants for years...... At least this one is two days.. Too hard to re-plan show must go on...

Difficult to postpone a Derby of this scale for wind as there are a lot of cost commitments for catering and rentals etc. Not to mention people having costs with bringing big boats from off island etc.

Heavy wind will give an advantage to the large sport boats, especially for the major prizes. Lets hope there are lots of hidden weight and random draws on your ticket # which should help balance things out for those with smaller boats prize wise, if it blows like hell.

Conditions should make this pretty interesting for this Sooke Greenhorn.

Left rod to shore right ??? :D

Difficult to postpone a Derby of this scale for wind as there are a lot of cost commitments for catering and rentals etc. Not to mention people having costs with bringing big boats from off island etc.

Heavy wind will give an advantage to the large sport boats, especially for the major prizes. Lets hope there are lots of hidden weight and random draws on your ticket # which should help balance things out for those with smaller boats prize wise, if it blows like hell.

It will be fine... your correct its hard to change catering etc......Remember how it was last year in consultants we had crappy weather still managed some nice catches....I wind sissied it in that one ...hopped on gypseas boat thankfully.

◦"March 1 to June 13, 2014: daily limit of 2 chinook salmon, wild or hatchery marked between 45 cm and 67 cm, or hatchery marked greater than 67 cm in length. Minimum size limit is 45 cm in length.
June 14 to July 18, 2014: Measures to be announced".

Well, well, well, what do you know...... Who says SVAIC has no pull? Well done guys & thanks!!!

Was trying to be a ground breaker on this forum and was being, wait for it........ optimistic. I know, I'm nucking futs.

Last year in the Fathers Day Banana Challenge Derby one of the Prizes our boat won was a guided Fishing trip with accommodation for four in Port Renfrew with John Wells of Hindsight Fishing Charters. Last weekend John provided us a great fishing experience on a well maintained safe boat and the accommodation was first rate. We want to thank and acknowledge John for not only representing the guiding industry very well but for his willingness to donate to an important fund raising derby that contributed to its success. It was John and others like him who donated that helped make that new Banana Challenge Derby a success which in my view provided Proof of Concept without which we may not have the much expanded Alpine Group Juan de Fuca Fishing Tournament that everyone is looking forward to this weekend.

A suggestion to others, the trip may be free but remember to tip well as we want to encourage John and others to make donations of this nature. John could have taken us out front but instead asked us what we wanted and then burned up lots of gas pounding against seas for an hour or so out to the Halibut grounds were we limited out before getting Chinook back inshore. Early in the season for me and have to say I was green (no seasick meds) for the first part of the trip pounding those seas. For a little bit the boys were calling me Shriek. Never lost my cookies though and reeled in my own fish. Thanks again John for donating to a cause that greatly benefits salmon and anglers and for providing us a first class guided fishing trip.

I am in boat fixed!! Looks like I can do it .... So I am in. Holy cow what a slow announcement from DFO... the weather has changed also ....Its looking better tomorrow looks ugly...

We will once again have a ice filled tote near the weigh scale at Pedder Bay Marina. We are collecting fresh fish (salmon or halibut) for the Sooke Food Bank. For every 5 pounds of fish donated you will receive a draw ticket. The winning ticket holder will get a Scotty Power Prawn Trap Puller valued at $450

Back