Downrigger braid

Roland, personal preference thats all.
I think I switched the one rigger to braid in '08 (maybe '07)
so I've got 6 full seasons without reversing it.
I never got that with wire, and I don't have to deal with kinking,fraying,rust etc.

OK fair enough Scott. You have certainly done well with your braid (until now I see).
One last comment. A guy put up an incredible post on here about losing a Go-Pro camera and then managing to get it back again (also on video), complete with some amazing underwater footage. Just a few months ago I think.
Anyway lost in all the excitement about his story and the footage was why he lost the Go-Pro in the first place, which he did include in his post. Sudden inexplicable snapping of the braid is why! That just would not have happened with wire (unless it was 20 years old or something).

I got rid of my wire after losing 2 balls. Was having mabey some sort of electrolysis issue..? Wire broke right at the water line. Love my PP 200. No more hum. and no more wondering if my voltage is detracting fish..

Guided all summer for two seasons with wire and the lead bill was substantial, a lot of random snaps, even mid troll... Switched to braid and after four seasons have barely lost a ball (aside from operator error). Braid is much more user friendly, but to each their own.

if there's on thing wire is known for its random breaks. Braid will last years and years and the only maintenance you need is to retie your connections occasionally. Englishman, you're making big leaps in your theory, keep fishing with wire and you'll learn why guys hate it.

No Chris they switched back from 304 a few years back when people bitched so I heard. I thought that too. They claim 316 stainless on website.

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/electronic-downriggers/2106.htm

That is correct, they sell the 316 with new downriggers. But you can't get this wire nowhere on replacement spools. I am not rich enough to buy a new downrigger every few years because it's time to replace the wire. Lol

I do get 3 - 4 seasons out of the better of the cheap wire though and I am just happy using wire. I barely ever lose balls and if then it's due to operator error, right Deewar? Lol Key is freshwater flushing after each use and snipping off 1 or 2 m after half a dozen heavy trips.

Yea. What is it with that hum? Drives some passengers nuts

That is correct, they sell the 316 with new downriggers. But you can't get this wire nowhere on replacement spools. I am not rich enough to buy a new downrigger every few years because it's time to replace the wire. Lol

I do get 3 - 4 seasons out of the better of the cheap wire though and I am just happy using wire. I barely ever lose balls and if then it's due to operator error, right Deewar? Lol Key is freshwater flushing after each use and snipping off 1 or 2 m after half a dozen heavy trips.

If you called Scotty and asked to buy some 316 wire, they'd say no?

Just talked to scotty, they said this is what comes one all their HP riggers and is the 316 ss cable. So, it is available to purchase at retailers.
s
2401K_2402K_2403K_HPCable_000.gif

One downside of switching to the braid for me was losing the hum, I miss it...........It told me when I was going fast enough with out looking.

Funny, Dave, Ihave heard otherwise and could nowhere on the package find the material specs of the wire. Which is suspicious in itself. Have to look into this again. I have definitely noticed a significant downhill trend with the wire quality over the last several years.

Hey Owen,
Would you be able to post these picture again?

I use a #48 stiff gangon that's about 400 pound breaking strength. I buy spools from Redden Net in CR for about $15. It will last you a life time.

This is what mine looks like done

The eyes I tie are 2 and 10 inches.

The 2 inch one completely replaces the auto stop and attaches to my brained with a pallimer knot.

I put at knot in the line just below the pulley to make sure my release clip never slides up.

Then the 10 inch loop goes thru the eye of the cannonball and round the ball.

I use no swivels, no stupid auto stops and no krimps.

I use a #48 stiff gangon that's about 400 pound breaking strength. I buy spools from Redden Net in CR for about $15. It will last you a life time.

This is what mine looks like done
image.jpg
The eyes I tie are 2 and 10 inches.
image.jpg
The 2 inch one completely replaces the auto stop and attaches to my brained with a pallimer knot.
image.jpg
I put at knot in the line just below the pulley to make sure my release clip never slides up.
image.jpg
Then the 10 inch loop goes thru the eye of the cannonball and round the ball.
image.jpg

I use no swivels, no stupid auto stops and no krimps.

What is the knot you use on the gangon at each end loop?
And what knot do you use to tie the braid to the Gagnon loop?

Any problems with the canon ball swivelling? Does the gangon get twisted?
Nice simple method that's for sure

I run same thing same knot no issues at all...Had a year of heavy use,and confirmed swivel not needed. I run it exactly same way shown, and knock on wood haven't lost cannon ball in a year so far...

What is the knot you use on the gangon at each end loop? Those knots are just very clean laid over hand knots. With #48 a cleanly laid knot will not cause you no problems going thru your Scotty pulley.

And what knot do you use to tie the braid to the Gagnon loop? Pallimer Knot as stated

Any problems with the canon ball swivelling? Does the gangon get twisted? No issue...... Myself and many friends have been running this set up for years, with one small change to help to old and blind guys out. Instead of the 10" loop I now use a Scotty ball clip as I remove my balls at the end of the day and some found the big loop to hard to figure out.

Have also made setups for stacking lines for chum and sockeye fishing with colored marks for locations of stop points and release clips

Same I attach with pallimer and use the same over hand knots.... I still run my same way...But people on my boat get confused sometimes trying to take the ball of... Simplest thing I have used for fishing, and didn't lose any release clips after I went with this...

Just make sure your brakes are adjusted properly. Just cause the kid making min. wage at the store says they are I wouldn't be gambling on it. Learn how to test and adjust them yourself with 9/16 wrench.

Years ago, I lost the cable on a lost crab pot or some other bad item in the water. I bought new wire from a guy who spliced and build the Gurdy wires for commercial hook and line salmon trollers. This wire, whatever it is has lasted for a lot of years. I bought braid to replace, and still the wire is still working. I am replacing the DR's this year as they are 1995 Cannons and are getting very tired. So probably will not install the braid. Save it for the Scottys I am getting. So maybe if using wire, get it from the commercials supplier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back