Down rigger tips

I don't know if many of you guys saw the Sport Fishing BC's episode where he was up in the Charlottes and showed a way to use 200 lb test mono instead of gagnion line. He took 12' and folded it in half and knoted the one end (acts as the stopper) and the other two free ends had the clip for the ball as well as the release clip on the other. Has worked really well for me and is very cheap set up.

I would also be interested. PM us with pics.

Here are some pictures and no photography is not what I do for a living LOL. Make sure that if you use this kind of set-up that you have enough line for booms fully extended so that it doesn't pull the
clips off the ends. The ideal length is for the ball to just be in the water or just out which ever you prefer. The knot is what will be your stopper obviously.

Attachments

• DSCN0283.jpg
    DSCN0283.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 621
  • DSCN0286.jpg
    DSCN0286.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 597
  • DSCN0284.jpg
    DSCN0284.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 556
Slick! Gotta love all the different ways to skin the same cat, although I use a dummy flasher and I'd worry about the length of mono with the clip on it wanting to do a mating dance with the wire holding the dummy flasher....

Bigmeal, why is the rubber stopper not above where the mono is tied? Or maybe I'm not seeing it properly?

Hey red monster, it's there cause if you put it before the big mono knot, it would jamb up into the pulley. It has to be after if at all. I really isn't hat neccesary in hind sight with this set up. I haven't lost a clip in a year or so since I started using this set up

Okay, I think I get it: You bring it up past the first knot. And that first knot probably acts to trip the auto stop gate. Not a bad setup.

I have been using 5ft (or so) of 300lb mono attached by loops with crimps on each end. The braided dr line I use a loop knot in the end. Pass the loop through the loop in the end of the mono & instant easily changed connection. Rubber snubber attached to loop at other loop on the end of 300lb mono. Weight attached to end of snubber.

I have used this set up since early this year, and it has worked great. Lots of extra shock absorption with the mono. It is also nice to grab onto when pulling the weight into boat. Not one break off with this setup so far.

Hey bigmeal, I had heard about it from my buddy but could not figure it our till I saw the pics, thx.

Sharphooks, good point about the dummy flasher, was thinking the same thing. Maybe one could make the clip end slightly shorter than the ball end to clear?

both gangen and tuna cord are braided lines. Tuna cord is what Deryk from Active uses in his set ups. Both tuna cord and gangen are available in a myriad of breaking strengths.

DHA.

I run a dummy flasher as well at times and have never had an issue of it tangling. The ball obviously pulls straight down and your gear is attached to the clip up 6 feet from the ball. I really don't see how it would tangle unless you were running the dummy off of the line and not the ball. Hope that made sense.

since we got onto gangion or tuna cord?

i borrowed some cord from a Buddie

in the pic's you will see cord joined to 250lb scotty down rigger braid and too 250lb mono fused blobbed on the end acts like a spade end or solder blob end if ever done that with low water salmon hook's. honest it does hold trust me........lol

both tied with a nail knot, DR braid was threaded through the cord for 1" then brought out the side

the cord pics are 3 over hand passes to form the loop knot
and then just small piece of blk sling shot tubing small stuff to cover and protect the knot going over the pulley wheel of DR and as too act as inline stopper to shut off the down rigger

you can make the cord length suit your preference where you want the cannon ball to stop

Also with the loop end you can connect bumper stopper and coastal snap or snap shackle

regards john
photos 025.jpg photos 026.jpg photos 029.jpg

both gangen and tuna cord are braided lines. Tuna cord is what Deryk from Active uses in his set ups. Both tuna cord and gangen are available in a myriad of breaking strengths.

DHA.

The Tuna cord gig is more a DHA idea.... a add on to another idea that we were working on... :)

Has anyone connected 2 sections of braid together? Would a nail knot be best? I have a 200' roll I thought I would add to what is on my rigger now. Too short to put on by itself.

I have. Barrel knot is the only way to go

Here are some pictures and no photography is not what I do for a living LOL. Make sure that if you use this kind of set-up that you have enough line for booms fully extended so that it doesn't pull the
clips off the ends. The ideal length is for the ball to just be in the water or just out which ever you prefer. The knot is what will be your stopper obviously.

I saw that episode too Bigmeal and thought it looked like a great set-up. You wouldn't easily lose any clips this way. But, do you not get line twist without a swivel of some sort between the braid/cable and mono? And when you bring your gear up into the rigger, do you find that the release clip end wraps itself around the weighted end an awful lot? I would guess the key to this set-up is using some really stiff mono to prevent this.

hey Highliner, I have never really had any problems with line twisting because I use balls with fins and as far as the mono getting knotted up, 200 lb test
mono solves the issue. Yes it wraps a couple times sometimes, but nothing more. All the gear is just out of the water with no clip to worry about and the
knot takes care of all stopper issues. Also it is easy to handle with bare hands, oh yah and it's cheap!

Back