Down rigger tips

I run a boat which has 4 HP Scotty Riggers on it and have run 8 rods on that boat at once all stacked on riggers and I can't say that I have experienced any of the problems you fellas have been having. I run 15 lb and heavier balls and run the Scotty 180 lb test and the SuperPro 250 lb test cable. Use your autostops correctly, make sure your cable and crimps are without fault, and space your clips correctly and you won't have these issues.

I run a boat which has 4 HP Scotty Riggers on it and have run 8 rods on that boat at once all stacked on riggers and I can't say that I have experienced any of the problems you fellas have been having. I run 15 lb and heavier balls and run the Scotty 180 lb test and the SuperPro 250 lb test cable. Use your autostops correctly, make sure your cable and crimps are without fault, and space your clips correctly and you won't have these issues.

Don't get me wrong FM it was 100% user error that caused my issues, But I can tell you this it WONT happen again lol

I find when I stack the top release clip always messes up the downrigger cable by putting a little kink in it which leads to a fray which leads to lost gear if one isn't paying close attention. I haven't tried the stacker clips just use the regular clip with stopper beads.

Do these stacker release clips help in not damaging the cable? How often do you guys cut off and re crimp your wire? Scotty says replace the entire spool each season but that seems wastefull to me. That said I did lose 2 balls this season due to mysterious break offs. I wasn't on the rigger at the time so I'm sure it was a little user error but old wire probably didn't help either.

Try using 200lb powerpro tied to a snubber with a palomar knot, clip your DR release clip right onto the snubber.
2 red stopper beads back to back 4 feet up the line and no more problems

hey Gents--

The hottest tip I ever got on this forum for day to day stress-free Scotty downrigger operation (thanks to IslandFishLifter) was tying your PowerPro braid off to a 6 foot length of halibut gangion with a knot (I used to use a swivel which didn't like going over the Scotty pulley in a nice smooth way like a knots does).

The knot puts up with alot of abuse and stops the downrigger dead in its tracks first time, every time, better then any freaking Scotty stopper beads ever did, (red, chartreuse or any other color they make). I threw away my Scotty stopper beads after getting that tip---for me stopper beads became a pain in the arse ever since I switched to braid.

The knot method from braid to gangion is not only bullet-proof but it's quick and easy. (the knot used earlier in this thread to tie poly to braid would work just fine)

If you want to use a snubber, tie that to the end of your gangion.

Just one way of approaching downrigger use, no doubt everyone has their own favorite approach, but for me, I have not lost a ball since switching to the braid to gangion knot method so I'm sticking with that program

Last edited by a moderator:
hey Gents--

The hottest tip I ever got on this forum for day to day stress-free Scotty downrigger operation (thanks to IslandFishLifter) was tying your PowerPro braid off to a 6 foot length of halibut gangion with a knot (I used to use a swivel which didn't like going over the Scotty pulley in a nice smooth way like a knots does).

The knot puts up with alot of abuse and stops the downrigger dead in its tracks first time, every time, better then any freaking Scotty stopper beads ever did, (red, chartreuse or any other color they make). I threw away my Scotty stopper beads after getting that tip---for me stopper beads became a pain in the arse ever since I switched to braid.

The knot method from braid to gangion is not only bullet-proof but it's quick and easy. (the knot used earlier in this thread to tie poly to braid would work just fine)

Just one way of approaching downrigger use, no doubt everyone has their own favorite approach, but for me, I have not lost a ball since switching to the braid to gangion knot method so I'm sticking with that program

x2 big time. Been using this system for a few seasons now and it works period. You just tie the gangion to the length needed to stop the ball just at the water surface so it doesn't swing wildly in big swells when fishing off shore. If you want to run dummy flashers for sockeye, tie a longer version you can attach the dummies below your rigger clips.

So, the point of attaching your clip to the snubber while using braid is to just save the braid? I was curious about why guys did that.

This would save you from losing your clip if the auto=stop bead slips for some reason and because some braids have issues with the clip slowly sliding up the line, or at least I personally have experienced this.

So, the point of attaching your clip to the snubber while using braid is to just save the braid? I was curious about why guys did that.

x2 big time. Been using this system for a few seasons now and it works period. You just tie the gangion to the length needed to stop the ball just at the water surface so it doesn't swing wildly in big swells when fishing off shore. If you want to run dummy flashers for sockeye, tie a longer version you can attach the dummies below your rigger clips.

Any chance you have a picture, im not sure I know what a gangion is?? :confused:

Hambone

gangion is a cord/twine like parachute cord me thinks anyways its like 1/8th thinkness so when joined to the nornal downrigger braid acts two fold one the knot acts as a stopper for the downrigger and then due to it being thicker and such take's the brunt of all the bashing down below if hitting bottom or when going through the downriggerwheel
then bumping out which is causing the normal braids to pop (loss of gear)

its breaking strain is prob in excess of several hundred pounds as well

gents jump in on me if wrong.....lol

also if you can source it hollow kite/paraglide string/cord could be looped ended

and then loop to loop spliced ........:)

Sorry, I don't have a photo of the gangion. You can pick it up at Pacific Net & Twine.

Hey Hambone--Wildthing and Searun got it right. Gangion is what the commie guys use to repair seine gear and trawl nets. The hali longliners also use it to attach their hooks to the groundline (like leader material) It's twisted poly, sometimes treated with resin, minimum 200 lb test. A major size spool of it is cheap, under $ 10.00--it'll last many years.

Funny you bring up parachute cord, wildthing--I have a friend who's a bit of a cheapskate/minimalist: he "downrigger" fishes exclusively with parachute cord--as in, tying a cannon ball to one end, clipping on his terminal gear, then lower it by hand and cleating it off at the desired depth to his stern. No downrigger, no muss, no fuss. Of course his hands look like Magilla Gorilla's from hand-hauling that stuff all day long.... but it gets the job done.

Here's a pic of a spool of gangion:

Attachments

• GANGION.jpg
    GANGION.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 522
hey Gents--

I can't seem to find the knot mentioned to tie the braid to the gangion line, can you post it please? I also have had problems with my swivels getting jammed in the pulley should the stops slip on the braid.

Thanks
H.E.H.

Hey H.E.H., in the thread I first saw last winter about connecting braid to gangion, I recall IslandFishlifter's post pointing out that he used a simple "over hand" knot. I tried that knot and several others. I even tried whip-finishing the doubled-over braid to the gangion with fly-tying thread, then covering the whip-finish with epoxy (basically, the no-knot method)----- I was looking for low profile, something that wouldn't snag seaweed.

The knot I finally settled on is as per the picture below. It might be more work then necessary, but the knot on the bottom survived an entire summer of major abuse (banging rocks at Port Hardy, dragging on bottom for feeder springs etc) and just keeps on ticking.

I double over the gangion, double over the braid, feed the doubled-over braid through the loop of the gangion, then do a knail-knot back on the braid. Sometimes, just to make it bullet-proof , I spin a thread bobbin from my fly-tying kit around the connection, whip-finish it, then cover with epoxy (middle knot).

This is just one man's approach--I hope guys will chime in with theirs; mine's probably over-kill but that's the story of my life....

Better yet---I'd refer to the thread "Braided Line"---wildthing's pictures and the knot he uses looks like the happening thing. For "mono" substitute "gangion" and follow the rest of his instructions. I wish I had that tool he uses for the nail-knot part of the deal!

IMG_3593.jpg

Thank for the pictures and further explanation guys. This looks like the way to go!!
I have some tuna cord which I think will work great.

Sharp hooks

how many strands is the gangion if its 3 like poly rope you can just use a loop end & splice it back in on its self
like i do now with my carb trap rope

i'll get a pic or two up

some care to send me a few yards to play with & i'll return it looped or spliced

cheers john

X3

after some serious playin around , my gig ,

compliments Deryk Active Tackle , 6 - 8ft gagnion , just enuff ta keep the lead skimming the water ,No Snubber needed ,yet ta lose a ball out of the ordinary , minus the Barrel Swivel , a knot is the $hit , compliments IFL : ) thx bro..

i used ta use the stuff pictured above , broke after some serious hours,this blue stuff is the bomb ,more durable..
pm Derby , he can hook ya up - Active Tackle

IMG_4743.jpg

later FD

X3

after some serious playin around , my gig ,

compliments Deryk Active Tackle , 6 - 8ft gagnion , just enuff ta keep the lead skimming the water ,No Snubber needed ,yet ta lose a ball out of the ordinary , minus the Barrel Swivel , a knot is the $hit , compliments IFL : ) thx bro..

i used ta use the stuff pictured above , broke after some serious hours,this blue stuff is the bomb ,more durable..
pm Derby , he can hook ya up - Active Tackle

IMG_4743.jpg

later FD
I too have that very same setup, also thanks to Deryk
Tim

Back