Alberni Sockeye

searun

It's winter, I'm getting bored. Itchy feet to get back on the water, so its time to start talking about getting ready for Sockeye season. Tips, ideas, best practices etc would be a good thread topic for those of us with itchy feet. Besides....sounds like DFO is expecting around 800,000 fish this year, so it should be good.

I'll start the conversation with an idea...hopefully spark a few others.

So, one of the things I like to do is run a number of dummy flashers to bring in the fish. Easy enough, just make a few up with rigger clips with flashers attached, Bob's your uncle. Only issue is either remembering to stop the rigger when you are bringing in the gear, or having the pain of using the scotty stops, which occasionally break....when that happens you got a problem. With the new high speed Scotties, that spells instant lost canon ball when the dummy flasher clip catches in the boom. The other problem with using the stops is I frequently run out to Barkley Sound to finish the day on chinook, so it is a pain to switch my rigger around - removing stops etc.

Came up with one idea that may help make the change over easy. I built an extension using 250 pound tuna cord. At the cannon ball end I tied in my usual small rigger clip to attach to the canon ball. Then every 6 feet I tied in a loop into which I plan to clip in each dummy flasher so they can't ride up and get tangled. At the top of the extension, I tied in a stainless steel ring into which my normal down rigger gangion stopper can clip into. Its a 6 foot lead with a swivel that I tie in the 200 pound power pro - the swivel acts as a stop. At the canon ball end I have the small rigger clip, which simply clips into the extension ring to hook up quickly.

Going to give it a try, and hopefully it makes my life easier when doing quick change overs from Sockeye to Chinook.

Wouldn't 30ft of heavy white gangen or tuna chord left on work? snap dummies and clips to the chord. Use a heavier ball if it blows back for chinook.

You could do that, just that I don't want that long of a tuna cord hanging down when I'm running shorter for Chinooks - thus the removable extension. My current system with the tuna cord and swivel makes for a iron clad stopper. Never misses. Running a long version would defeat the built in stop using the swivel.

My best tip would be to try to fish before the july long weekend.
Dfo has a habit of messing up the prime time for fishing PA.
GLG

my basic setup ( per downrigger )

10 ft gagnon , dummy at ball , dummy 6 ft up , 4 ft left to barrel swivel , ( my autostop ) 2 stacking clips on my braid ( 2 rods per rigger ), as per Ken's suggestion , bullet proof , no screw ups , use for springs as well , change back to 6 ft gagnon when sockeye season is done... had great success last season with this set-up....

ezpz

fd

This guide is apparently on them already... Well, at least 2 weeks ago...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/2908215574.html

Date: 2012-03-17, 9:36PM PDT

Posting Description:

Our Absolute Sport Fishing Venture

I want everyone to know what a wonderful time my husband and I had fishing in Campbell River, BC Canada about two weeks ago. We had two of the most beautiful days and were guided by Laurel Gareau of Absolute Sport Fishing. When we came into town and stopped to buy our fishing license, we were told that Laurel was valued as one of the very best guides in the town and we were lucky to have him. They were absolutely right. We brought home 54 lbs of filleted sockeye salmon. We want to thank Laurel and recommend you to recommend him for yourself, friends and family for your fishing guide. His website is Absolutesportfishing.ca and his contact information is 250-203-1162 or 250-287-2210 . He said a great Chum run will be coming through in October.

Les and Kathy Wigen

Coeur d'Alene, ID

Back