Best lb test of Line for Salmon

I generally use 25# Ande or Maxima for main lines. A few years ago, I purchased a service spool of 25# Ande in neon green. This kept me in full Shimano GT4000's (X4) for several years.

I fill the reels til they are as full as possible without spilling line off the sides. Every day of fishing, I strip about 50 feet of line off the end. I can get two seasons doing this as I'm always running on fresh line. Only when I get down to about half a reel do I change.

In the future, I plan on switching to Berkley Big Game in 25# as I've had some very good results with their 17# line that I use on a light rod - and never had a break off with!

For leaders I use 40# Maxima for bait teaserheads, and 60# Triplefish for hoochies, (available from Nikka in 100 yard coils).

I recently switched to 10.5' mooching rods for downrigger fishing and they have been great - no break offs at all with clients. Though they are a bit of a pain to handle inside the boat.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I have yet to have a problem with Trilene Big Game so don't use Maxima as main line as it is more expensive. I use 25' main with my downigger and mooching rods (GT4000's) but use 20 lb main on my lighter 'noodle' rods with smaller line capacity lighter reels like GT 100/1000. I use 20/25/30/40 lb big game and maxima leader. Weight of leader totally depends on fishery/species, size of fish as well as location and equipment/gear using. 40+ ib for hootchies and lighter for bait and spoons. Sometimes, if I am not using hootchies and there are seal problemms in an area, I make sure I have lighter leader than main ( Then I can at least get my flasher back !!)
In winter the water is clearer and the Chinook are generally smaller so ligher gear would be my choice in the winter. In winter the use of flasher is not necessary so all lighter is possible. possible.

Oh yeah just a point about Ande. I had problems with it a few years back ....it was breaking way too easily so I stopped using it. Now it is possible I had a bad batch ( the shop suggested that)- I know Jim has had some good luck with Ande. I however had to take it all back and exchanged it.

Jim ,just curious , why did you stop using Ande ? any problems?

I use 30lb main, 40lb leader to give the hootchies some action. Just started using Seaguar flurocarbon - haven't decided if it is worth the expense yet.

Would be nice to know if anyone has used the new Berkley TransOptic line. High Vis above, low vis below

Long live wild salmon!!!

quote:Originally posted by Peahead

Oh yeah just a point about Ande. I had problems with it a few years back ....it was breaking way too easily so I stopped using it. Now it is possible I had a bad batch ( the shop suggested that)- I know Jim has had some good luck with Ande. I however had to take it all back and exchanged it.

I used Ande for many years as mainline without issue but got turned onto Mustad, which was cheaper yet and we havn't had a single problem in 2 seasons.

quote:Originally posted by Slack-tider

What is the best lb test line to be using for Salmon this time of the year?

30 on the main and 40 on the leaders for me

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

quote:

No real reason - I still have a number of reels loaded with Ande.

I guess it was my good experience with some 17# Berkley Big Game that I used on my light rod. Never broke off once - not even with clients!

It's not so much that I stopped using Ande, just want to buy something I think is better when I get around to buying new.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

It's worth mentioning that with braided line, you should be tying it on your swivel with the Double Palomar knot, not the common improved clinch knot usually used for monofilament. C.W.

Satisfaction: 23' Aluminum Thunderjet with Ford 460 salmon fishing the Columbia River

20# Maximu Ulta Green for main line on all salmon reels. and 30# Berkley Tuff Line for leader material.

IMG_1021-1.jpg

Back